Saabotage

Fabergé Greggs

• 4 weeks later...

My usual local hand car wash covered this in TIRE SHINE today? WTF? It's kind of shiny but is also really oily. Will it fuck the paint? IMG_0066.thumb.JPG.fa89aa227a77b91eb40d3463e84ca4cf.JPG

They're usually totally ace and only did this out of love.  It's kind of ironic cos I asked them not to use it on the tires. IMG_0065.thumb.JPG.33cbc3bd4141b9eaec806744a5be53b0.JPG

This is tentative so apologies in advance if I say no or change my mind.. but drop me a PM if you think you might have something you’d like to swap with this. 

Scooters, motorbikes, old ULEZ cheaters, modern mile munchers all considered, but nothing too dull. No projects unless it’s a scooter cos I already have too many projects. 

Another festive trip all around the country undertaken... around 1000 miles in 4 days with minimum fuss. 

An MOT was passed, 70,000 miles clicked around. 

One minor niggle, it's becoming a little reluctant to start when damp. Do we start with leads, rotor arm and cap? 

42 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Another festive trip all around the country undertaken... around 1000 miles in 4 days with minimum fuss. 

One minor niggle, it's becoming a little reluctant to start when damp. Do we start with leads, rotor arm and cap? 

Don't forgot your battery too... See what voltage it's at whilst cranking.  Batteries get more impedance with age. 

On 12/31/2019 at 2:29 PM, Fabergé Greggs said:

I had a couple of spells of lazy starting in the damp weather with it and i just dried all the ignition components out thoroughly and it was ok after that.

*Always* worth checking the earthing point to the offside of the radiator on these.  It gets all the grot off the road, combined with the heat from the radiator the wiring dissolves.  This can cause all manner of electrical gremlins when it goes.  Looked perfect on my first one - right up to the point I touched it. 

HT leads are probably worth looking at, especially if still originals.  Worth opening the bonnet when the engine is running in the dark and looking carefully, you might be able to see tracking if the insulation is breaking down - where the leads are clipped to the cam cover is a favourite spot.

• 4 weeks later...

The scruffy Saab just became a little scruffier. ?

Full admission of guilt on video from the other party, but I really don't want to go through insurance as it'll be written off. 

We drove straight to a body shop and got a quote for £500 labour for pulling out the wing, filler, paint and an all over machine polish to blend it in. The crasher seems likes he's gonna stump up. 

IMG_2261.thumb.JPG.cee7594b22ba1718f834c1f0766ffa35.JPGIMG_9997.thumb.JPG.f95cb83f64cf4c536c3dca4f8b72043b.JPGIMG_9664.thumb.JPG.36cc48ae7f1ebb0859364ad48cac0a0c.JPGThIMG_4493.thumb.JPG.d1051faf13e5660092b8163308682dca.JPG

If you paint just that wing then it will look fine for about 3 months, then the rest of the car will fade to pink again and you'll have one dogs dick shiny red wing.

IMO a sympathetic (and cheaper) repair would be to take the bumper off and pull the wing out to somewhere closer to "right". A few ripples will stand out a LOT less than a bright red corner.

6 hours ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

The scruffy Saab just became a little scruffier. ?

Full admission of guilt on video from the other party, but I really don't want to go through insurance as it'll be written off. 

We drove straight to a body shop and got a quote for £500 labour for pulling out the wing, filler, paint and an all over machine polish to blend it in. The crasher seems likes he's gonna stump up. 

IMG_9664.thumb.JPG.36cc48ae7f1ebb0859364ad48cac0a0c.JPGThIMG_4493.thumb.JPG.d1051faf13e5660092b8163308682dca.JPG

Will the painter's use this?

61GT5MAJjfL._SY550_.jpg

£500 is a rip off for that lol, it's a day's work.