Saabotage

Fabergé Greggs

There was a blurry period somewhere around the end of November where I wanted that purchase feeling, and wanted it bad. The Favorit had served me very well but it was never going to be a keeper… I’d gone a bit loopy and was considering all sorts of unsavoury vehicles.

Bramz’s Saab came up for sells, and having missed out by a ball hair on its 3 previous sales, snapped it up. I also thought fuck it and agreed to buy HMC’s Xantia, though sadly FJ said NO to that particular pairing.

I also bought SMH’s Honda Vision somewhere around this time, and had to abort the collection due to OMG fuel leak, now resolved and awaiting a nice sunny day for collection mk2.

So you know, feeling bit overwhelmed by all of this, I subsequently got a text from Ken saying I’d won his raffle E46 beemer. FUCK!

Anyway, some deals where done. Dollywobbler drove off in the Fav, Bramz drove off in the E46 and I ended up with the Saabre tooth tiger.

It’s so bloody NICE. The engine and box is a great combo around town, just the right amounts of laziness and torquiness. Out on the open road, the fairy low top ratio of the 3 speed box is a little tiresome, but not too bad as long as you ignore the MPG’s.

How are the MPG’s? Well, I started to gather some data on how much fuel I was putting in and how miles I was doing but then I suddenly thought FUCK NO! So I’ve just been doing loads of miles in it anyway.

I’ve been up to Scotland in it twice, all over the shop really. I think I’ve done about 2500 miles in a month, putting in loads of fuel. Loads and loads.

But it’s ace! It’s so comfy, so solid and surefooted. What with winter tires and headlight washers, it just feels so right blasting through the hills of Scotland in freezing temperatures. At times it was so wet a Saabmarine might have been more appropriate, but it just kept on keeping on. And once you’ve finished doing that and you’re heading back down the motorway to London, it just feels so nice and cosseting once you hit London traffic. Fuck me it’s thirsty though..

Knowing that I was going to be doing a bunch of miles in it I put in some really nice front speakers, a head unit that I got from Sims for £20, and an underseat subwoofer. The fronts I used are the https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/SPG-10C2. Having tried a bunch of speakers I've come to fully understand that you need to pay for silk dome tweeters. They just sound fundamentally way better before any EQ’ing or whatnot. These I paired up with one of these:

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-usw10_p-25817.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiA9qHhBRB2EiwA7poaeKsYbxnqsJmH1-qU6P4Jzoq0NW-1kURd-D5mUW2TFHm0LOdVoCVzNRoCkEcQAvD_BwE. I recommend it- not the lowest extension ever, but a massive improvement on a stock system. What made wiring this in particularly pleasant in the Saab was discovering that I already had a 12v source rated to 30A under the seats for the optional electric seats. I discovered the fuse box for this under the rear seats, popped a fuse in, and voila!

One thing that I really love about this car is the smell. My mum tested a second hand one of these on a dealers forecourt back in the day, and I swear to you I can remember the smell, and it’s EXACTLY THE SAME. Other smells that I can recall are limited to 2 stroke, the slightly oily smell of the x1/9 at full chat and MB-tex on a sunny day.

Aside from the FUEL CONSUMPTION, one downer is that it seems quite eager to scrape it’s belly on those central speed humps that you get everywhere in London. It’s got quite a low bit under the engine, perhaps something to do with the auto box or whatnot.

Any way, I love it. I'll accept no Saabstitute. Hats off to all former keepers, Vantman, Holbeck, Bramz.. Onwards!

It’s filty at the mo, so I’ll do a wrong ‘un and get some snaps for y’all.

IMG-0847.jpg

IMG-0853.jpg

IMG-0857.jpg

I've been interested in this period of Saab for a while, and I might have told you this before, since one night when I was working until midnight and was driving my old silver BX down the deserted A23 looking forward to getting my head down. I was doing an indicated 95, with all the associated crosswind buffeting and general 'driving a lightweight old car a bit too fast' cheek clenching, and this scruffy turbo 900 just glided past like I wasn't even there. It was absolutely rock steady and true, the guy had one hand on the wheel, sitting in a relaxed reclined position like he wasn't even trying. I think it's the only time I was ever overtaken by something older than that car. He must have been doing 110* and it was clearly no thang at all.

Approved.

*based on my clearly inaccurate speedo reading

one downer is that it seems quite eager to scrape it’s belly on those central speed humps that you get everywhere in London. It’s got quite a low bit under the engine, perhaps something to do with the auto box or whatnot. 

Its the middle silencer. Got mine removed on both the C900's and replaced with a straight pipe.

Was worried it was going to make it sound loud, but was happily surprised,

Just made the engine note sound a little more fruity, and speed bumps were no longer needed to be taken at an angle.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Really miss mine.....

Nice write up and comforting to see fellow shitters with very complicated fleet updates. What must the insurers make of us! I agree about some cars having a very familiar smell. For me the 900 always brings back a distinctive sound which I remember from my childhood when we ran these. They would whine away in a very distinctive way. I would really like to run a real 900 at some point, but I would have to have a manual. Even the manuals are dead thirsty.

As you are smitten with the car, a couple of extra things you can do. (I'll see if I can find and add the links afterwards)

1) Fit reversing lights to the front side lights indicators. The fittings may already be there, just need the bulbs. Sounds weird but was really useful when reversing on a dark night, You get illumination for the side of the car, not just the rear.

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=127401

2) Variable wipe replay from a VW. You can then set the delay for the wipe. On/Off... wait,,,, and back on again. It now wipes for the delay you waited.

https://www.saablink.net/forum/customizing-your-classic-900/40691.htm

Cheers

Dave

Searched for a decent 900 Turbo many years ago - never found one worth buying as it seemed those for sale were being sold for a reason - they were totally knackered with starship mileages. Anything decent you spotted was never for sale as the owners were too attached to them, again, for a reason! So have never owned a Saab but feel I should do. 

Searched for a decent 900 Turbo many years ago - never found one worth buying as it seemed those for sale were being sold for a reason - they were totally knackered with starship mileages. Anything decent you spotted was never for sale as the owners were too attached to them, again, for a reason! So have never owned a Saab but feel I should do. 

Same. I actually bought one (a T16s) off eBay for £500 with an MOT but walked away when it dumped the content of its sump on the seller's driveway. Went well on the test drive... But in the end a lucky escape! 

LPTs especially convertibles are easier to find, but prices have risen loads, and non-turbos are much less trouble. As appealing (and quick) as a turbo is I reckon these days an NA one is far more practical and enjoyable in the real world unless you specifically want a car that scares you and goes wrong.

I've had a lot of fun in cheap NA 900s, but in truth none of them are sportscars.

Jack, drag that sloping Swedish beastie over and we will make it gleam happily.

Do it soon!!!

Nooooooooo!!! Don’t do this. Don’t let the detailing crowd anywhere near it. Just don’t.

It’s like the part in A Beautiful Mind where they give John Nash electric shock therapy to make him ‘normal’ - it will take away all the personality that makes this car special, and you'll never get that back.

It doesn’t need to look shiny like it’s in a brochure.

It’s a predicament alright. It does look great as is, but to deny Ken the opportunity to make it shiny would be cruelty itself. Those who would do so clearly aren’t aware of the depths of his compulsion...

Don't worry about the detailing being done.  It's Saab Ruby Red...It will turn pink again in a couple of weeks.

Trust me, I've owned two of the buggers which were pink when I got them, spent bloody ages getting everything cleaned and polished, waxed to within an inch of their lives, and the damned things still turned pink again in the space of a couple of months...

I love these old Saabs. I can remember my mate Trevor's Mum buying a black 99 Turbo in 1979 and the noise it made. My Grandad had a T plate 900GL around 1981 and it was a nice thing, lovely dashboard. 

Such a pity GM fucked it all up so badly - the old proper stuff was the equal of anything German - you'd have a 900 Turbo 3 door over a 325i and probably have the better car. GM just couldn't understand the Saab mystique and what made them so special.

It needs mopping and some decent polish. It's worth it because it's a proper car.

So glad you are enjoying my old 'Scruffy Saab',please don't polish it--it attracted far more interest at Saab events than the loads of polished ones! The film company only wanted to use it because it wasn't polished. The colour is Cherry Red as per the purchase invoice you should have.

I love these old Saabs. I can remember my mate Trevor's Mum buying a black 99 Turbo in 1979 and the noise it made. My Grandad had a T plate 900GL around 1981 and it was a nice thing, lovely dashboard. 

Such a pity GM fucked it all up so badly - the old proper stuff was the equal of anything German - you'd have a 900 Turbo 3 door over a 325i and probably have the better car. GM just couldn't understand the Saab mystique and what made them so special.

It needs mopping and some decent polish. It's worth it because it's a proper car.

Have driven lots of turbos but never got excited enough to buy one. OTOH the first (E30) 325i I drove and could afford I bought, despite it being a pile of crap with an endless list of problems, it just made me grin. Very different but IMO the beemers are much more of a drivers car - so much more direct - whereas the saab is enjoyable to pilot in a wafty but secure way - gets you places quick, less fuss than the BMW but far less hoonage.

Also have to say that I've been impressed with all the GM saabs I've had a go in... still feel very saabish to me. I guess in the end they fucked it but perhaps saab is just not compatible with modern car. Brand individuality no longer really exists in the automotive world IMO.

And again. Don't polish it. Looks perfect as-is.

I should apologise for completely disagreeing. At least we both agree it's a top motor. :D

So glad you are enjoying my old 'Scruffy Saab',please don't polish it--it attracted far more interest at Saab events than the loads of polished ones! The film company only wanted to use it because it wasn't polished. The colour is Cherry Red as per the purchase invoice you should have.

A customer of mine had a car that was hired for a TV program so he washed and polished so it shone beautifully and was then horrified when they covered it in something to make it matt because it was reflecting all the camera lights

• 1 month later...

Treated this to a little wash today so I'm treating you to some photos. 

The photos don't really convey how nice it is. Or thirsty.  

I also feel like giving it a polish some time. Just to.. you know.. see. 

Summary: It's still love

IMG-0016.jpg

IMG-0027.jpg
IMG-0026.jpg
IMG-0024.jpg
IMG-0022.jpg
IMG-0020.jpg
IMG-0018.jpg