Can we have a Yank thread?

The Reverend Bluejeans

There's plenty of Americana I could own, if I put half a mind to it.  Most of it is a bit samey to me now, I feel like my tastes have matured... or festered.  I'd probably pick something from the Nash, AMC, or Studebaker stables.

I like the Pinto, and thought I'd be happy with one, until that day I first laid eyes on the Matador.  It's like a Pinto that doesn't give a crap about what you or anyone else thinks.  The styling is at best 'divisive' and I love it for it.

071116-Barn-Finds-1978-AMC-Matador-Barce

I'd also quite like a Matador wagon, because they look even worse than the coupe.

matador2-800x538.jpg

To complete my AMC set, I'd rather like an Ambassador in two door hardtop with stacklights and metallic green paint.  White vinyl roof and matching interior a bonus.

17248_126xrs1.jpg

For my next collection, I'd rather like a fifties Nash Airflyte Ambassador.  Ideally in four door and a subtle colour, like this one.

dorset-wedding-cars-hire-800x450.jpg

I'd also really like a Nash Ambassador Custom, again in four door.  This time it has to be a factory pink or green multi-tone car.  This one would be lovely.

3812386589_c927783f55_b.jpg

To complete this group I'd finish off with a little runabout.  A Metropolitan in yellow and white, please.

peeps_57nashmetropolitain-1.jpg

Finally, for the Studebaker wing of my imaginary garage, we'd have to kick things off with a Commander.  I'd prefer a very low spec, small engine, column shift.  Ideally in a colour that looked sunbleached from new too.  In fact, the one on Corvetteben's Youtube channel was my idea of a perfect Commander it was a lot like this one.

111696610.jpg

The other I'd like you can blame Lesney for, and this is predictably enough the Lark wagon.

stude-2.jpg

I'd complete the set with a K10 truck.  Not trussed up for show, it would be tidy and clean with the occasional bit of use related wear and tear.  A good honest old truck.  These are one of the best looking trucks of the period imho.

42k15fire2.jpg

I remember the Matchbox & Corgi Studebaker Lark Wagons from at least 45 years ago,but I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a real one.   Thanks! 

Could this be classed as a Yank? It's a U.K model and RHD so it's in the same league as a PT cruiser or NEON or something but I still like it. It's certainly very yankish.

48275701_10161500110275436_9090133320880

All of mine are the rhd models of stuff that was sold at the same time in the US - same as yours - I remember those being around in California when I went at the time. A mate of mine had a leased one (in theUS)

While I love the big 1950s and 60s land yachts, I have zero experience of driving or being passenger in one. In the 1990s work caused me to be in the USA frequently and one of the highlights was the hiring of a US car for each visit of 1 to 5 weeks.  This mainly exposed me to V6s but I did have a Cadillac V8 Coupe for a couple of days.  The cars I can recall hiring were:

Dodge Intrepid, 1st and 2nd generation  ( I loved these)

Chevrolet Luminar 1st and 2nd generation (A bit bland but competant and comfortable)

Buick Century (2000 shape)  (Entertaining and had no desire to stay straight: steering wheel required constant adjustment even on straight roads) 

Pontiac Grand Prix (1999ish model) ( Ok but forgettable)

Oldsmobile Cierra (Appalling. Every imperfection in the road was magnified and made the thing creek and shudder)

Cadillac Eldorado Coupe (1995).  ( A waft mobile with the handling of a barge)

I would happily own an Intrepid 1st or 2nd gen but an Oldsmobile Toronado 1st generation has always appealed.

post-18170-0-53941300-1546119525_thumb.jpg

post-18170-0-93544300-1546119708_thumb.jpg

post-18170-0-14656600-1546119980_thumb.jpg

Could this be classed as a Yank? It's a U.K model and RHD so it's in the same league as a PT cruiser or NEON or something but I still like it. It's certainly very yankish.

48275701_10161500110275436_9090133320880

I reckon it can, even in RHD.  That's identical to the one I had and didn't like, but you could tell where it had been designed.

Had a 1979 Mustang for a while. 3.3 so a bit underpowered. Had a cherry bomb on it so it sounded lovely. Ugly thing though. Drove well, quite European feeling.

Nearly bought a 1979 Cadillac from that garage in Bury St Edmunds but chickened out. It drove nicely though but was a bit rough.

Drum brakes on the front of the Challenger were fun.. The original owners paid extra for the Rallye pack, with all the gauges,slapstik,gator grain roof and hood vents ,Top Banana paint,and an AM radio but forgot to tick the $33 box for discs... Trying to adjust them and get them balanced was a interesting task.

post-62-0-97701600-1546127937_thumb.jpg

The original 318 was tired, and had a tiny single barrel carb, so that got ripped out and replaced with a '68 pre smog 318 I built with a Crane cam, edelbrock manifold and 4 barrel Holley, along with headers and a free flow twin exhaust . Never did get round to fitting discs... :-D Kept things interesting.. Parts were so cheap back then, and delivery from the US was no problem. Build quality was proper crap, I remember slicing my finger wide open on the ashtray, It did handle OK though, and the noise was awesome. did 20+ MPG as well!

post-62-0-52476800-1546128116_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-84723300-1546128368_thumb.jpg

If any of you watch Nick's Garage on You Tube, he's building a proper U code '70 Challenger Vanishing Point replica. That is my Elanor.

tunincarsgarage-1970-dodge-challenger-rt

I love my Land yacht. And yes, if fuel was cheaper I’d be using yank motors all the time. They know how to make a car. Yes, the handling may be not so good, but I’ve never had an issue with my 89 grand marquis. I’ve tried to sell it a few times but there’s no love for an 80s comfort barge of awesomeness. So for now, it’ll stay.

post-17429-0-04872100-1546157048_thumb.jpeg

I love my Land yacht. And yes, if fuel was cheaper I’d be using yank motors all the time. They know how to make a car. Yes, the handling may be not so good, but I’ve never had an issue with my 89 grand marquis. I’ve tried to sell it a few times but there’s no love for an 80s comfort barge of awesomeness. So for now, it’ll stay.

That's lovely.....out of interest...how much?

Fantastic thread. Pointless having a 'like' button for posts on this one.

Was watching 'Sons Of Anarchy' box-set last night. A Santa pressie, of the whole fucking lot.

Hadn't seen it for a few years. That 66 - 67 Olds Cutlass is fit.

Imagine this in your rear view mirror.

8DDUczK.jpg

That's lovely.....out of interest...how much?

£3250. Which I think is cheap. But when last advertised, had no interest. It'll stay in dry storage till show season. Then I'll tax it and smoke around in luxury for a few months. Just dont like having cars sat doing nothing for the majority of the year.

I'm afraid I've never really seen the appeal of Yank motors and wouldn't buy most of those pictured here - the older ones are too big and brash and most 80s-onwards stuff just seems a bit grim. That said, that '53 Studebaker is nice and I wouldn't say no to a second-gen Corvair or an early Avanti. Not an 80s Avanti II though, those things are just hideous and completely destroyed the original style. Typical American really - if they did manage to make something elegant it inevitably ended up being ruined by every restyle.

I'd love to have a big American land yacht at some point. My favourite era is late '60s to early '70s, and most of the models I like seem to come from GM (although I'd happily have a Mopar equivalent). This is based purely on looks and I like the family styling that we saw on some Vauxhalls and Opels of the time as well, thanks to Chuck Jordan? Watching The Rockford Files as a kid was an influence.

For some reason I have the idea of a Buick Electra 225 as being my favourite, probably because of their vastness.

This would do as an alternative:

7147372519_8b849d7e4a_b.jpg

1971 Buick Le Sabre by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

7001288402_8673c14fe5_b.jpg

1971 Buick Le Sabre by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Compare and contrast to just a few years later:

5941890861_bc5b4d8bce_b.jpg

1977 Buick Le Sabre 5.7 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

More recent models have been a bit challenging:

9882893786_da6d54cd22_b.jpg

1989 Buick Regal Limited 2.8 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

12258288736_20e8c16ed8_b.jpg

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 3.4 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Technically I do own an American car at present, but I'm not sure that my Kentucky-built Camry estate is quite what this thread was intended for.

I'm afraid I've never really seen the appeal of Yank motors and wouldn't buy most of those pictured here - the older ones are too big and brash and most 80s-onwards stuff just seems a bit grim. That said, that '53 Studebaker is nice and I wouldn't say no to a second-gen Corvair or an early Avanti. Not an 80s Avanti II though, those things are just hideous and completely destroyed the original style. Typical American really - if they did manage to make something elegant it inevitably ended up being ruined by every restyle.

Try driving one....you may find your perceptions altered........

Try driving one....you may find your perceptions altered........

This is the game changer.

The majority of people that have been passengers in my mercury have never complained. There’s always ample room in the boot for more dead bodies. And they certainly don’t complain. Haha.

I'm more easily pleased than most, regarding Yank motors.

As a kid, and due to a well-known television programme, I always loved the look of '69 Dodge Chargers. I then managed to drive one used in the more recent Dukes film, on a track day earlier last year. It was slow, bouncy, had shit brakes and felt tired.

I absolutely loved it.

On a tangent, a few years back, one of the local back street garages had a late sixties Plymouth Roadrunner parked up in it's window (I guess it used to be a sales place, prior to repairs).

I still see it pottering around locally from time to time, and I can't help but turn my head.

I'd definitely want one in that virtual barn.

That side profile...

post-4721-0-71926800-1546207459_thumb.jpg

Reverend Bluejeans,      http://autoshite.com/uploads/monthly_12_2018/post-3069-0-32148300-1546087733.jpg

Liked the picture & descriptions of the 61-63 Lincolns with the 430 Cu. In. engine. My Father bought a '61 Mercury with that same engine. It's hard to remember the story he told(me being young), but he had a run-in with a freight train just a few months later that ended its usefulness. He claimed the train was damaged much worse, though and he wasn't seriously injured.