The Great Roof Race (TM)

Jim Bell

Holy shit. That's Linford Christie speed!

Think I could’ve gone quicker with my old roof! It was only the second time I’ve folded it since it got a new roof! And the first time was a few moments earlier to check it went down ok! If my time gets toppled I’ll have another go!

• 2 weeks later...

Well... seeing as no one else has tried i suppose I might maintain gold medal position!!!

Anyway just to try and reignite some interest in this as I think it’s rather fun.... here’s my second go this time in the 2CV!!

Please excuse my shit videoing skills, my choice of hat, and the winter roof liner I didn’t spot sticking up behind me!

Enjoy!

There's structural parts to the bit which folds, I'd go with it being okay.

Tempting to have a go with the legacy which is a total cheat, but also tempted to demonstrate a cold start in the next frost with the Leaf..

RULE CLARIFICATION REQUEST: Do windows have to come down for the full topless experience? One of mine is a bit* sticky, and time lost wrestling it back into place will inevitably prevent me from fulfilling my destiny at the top of the leaderboard...

Window rule is that they must be lowered and raised only if this is an integral part of the roof lowering/raising procedure (as with the SLK).

If they dont need to cycle, they dont have to cycle (as with MX5s).

Fucking brilliant. God I hope you're neighbours were watching. And will never ask you what was going on cos now they're a bit scared of you!

Sort of edit. Just showed my missus this video (ohdearme). She said we all need to grow up. All the more reason to act like big kids in my opinion. Keep up the good work boys

RULE CLARIFICATION REQUEST: Do windows have to come down for the full topless experience? One of mine is a bit* sticky, and time lost wrestling it back into place will inevitably prevent me from fulfilling my destiny at the top of the leaderboard...

I was hoping you give the SAAB a crack at this. The only convertible I have ever owned and I never got to see the roof go down.

I’ve been sorting out my partner’s 206cc roof this evening and just spotted this thread as I was waiting for Peugeot Planet to load on my laptop.

Found boot catch micro switch was dislodged, so it didn’t know the boot was closed. Sorted that - brilliant!

Unfortunately now gets all the way to roof in the boot but the boot lid won’t pivot back down. Bugger.

I’m too far away from my stashed Dyane to try that roof.

Don’t do YouTube.

Not much hope, really...

Djimbob, there are lots of microswitches that have to be in the correct positions to allow the roof to operate. Is your boot load blind pulled out? That’s the first check.

Window rule is that they must be lowered and raised only if this is an integral part of the roof lowering/raising procedure (as with the SLK).

If they dont need to cycle, they dont have to cycle (as with MX5s).

Or not if they don't go down at all (2CV)

I see lots of interest- I'm looking forward to seeing more vids!

I can only see 1 problem with the rankings ideally I think you need to seperate manual and electric roof times into their own rankings

I guess Jim Bell can clarify the official rules, but I reckon that much as Liverpool and Huddersfield Town are in the same league and must play football at each other, despite an obvious disparity in funding and firepower, so it shall be in Great Roof Racing - the name of the game is dropping the top and if you have a manuel roof that matters not.