warren t claim

Ask a Shiter

Aye, I suspected that might be the case, but that doesn't explain why it's all fine until the tailgate latch touches the catch on the body.  Unless the latch mechanism has somehow become live, and is causing a short circuit when it earths against the catch?  It can't be the whole tailgate which is live as that'd be earthing through the hinges the whole time.

Multimeter session required, methinks...

depends on paint/ grease on the hinges. And it may be touching somewhere else just as it latches. You could try covering the latch pin in insulation tape as that will tell you either way.

OK, another one (this one probably better suited to the former title of this thread, but indulge me):

When doing an oil change on a potentially sludgy engine, would tipping a gallon of pez in the sump and leaving for a couple of days (without turning the engine over obvs) be any use for cleaning things out?  If not, is there anything else which would help and which wouldn't a. cost £100 a gallon or b. dissolve the sump gasket?

dont think id do petty ....maybe diesel  , ive had good results running a litre of atf with the oil , drain /repeat with cheap stuff until its clear

if its not high tech then you could run it on neat diesel at idle and dump it out ....check out youtube 

Are the links across the top going to be updated to find the new tags, the new forum sections, and so on?

Are the shitecycle and similar threads going to be moved?

Has the hidden/political section been created yet, and can I have access to it please?

Has a roffle tag been created in the for sale forum section?

Sorry to be a pain.  Ta

Micra has a mucky air filter, could this cause the occasional high idle (resets with ignition off/on) and is it worth spending out for a nice one ( that fits inside the standard airbox ) ?

have a look at the ICV on the back of the throttle body ....

Aygo / C1 petrol cap ..

for her indoors its a bit fiddly to undo , with the key in the middle and to turn ..

any upgrades on this part ...that would make it easier to operate .

My question is regarding punctures and spare wheels. .

Although I've had quite a few punctures and slow tyre deflation (due to poor sealing around corroded alloy wheels), I just re-inflate the tyre with an electric pump and then drive to a tyre centre.  The last time I changed a wheel, by puncture necessity, was not on my a daily driver but whilst on holiday in the old Jag in 2015.  Because I was at a festival and parked in the middle of a field I changed the wheel then, but prior to that I don't think I needed to do a roadside wheel change for donkey's years, and only once on a motorcycle.   

Might I ask, how often others have needed to do so, either by summonsing a breakdown service or on ones own ?   Do you still always carry a spare wheel ? and how often do you check it's still inflated ? 

Thanks, Bfg.      

Might I ask, how often others have needed to do so, either by summonsing a breakdown service or on ones own ? Do you still always carry a spare wheel ? and how often do you check it's still inflated ?

I didn't have a single puncture in my first 20 years of driving, but in the last five years I've averaged about one a year.

I always carry a spare wheel, but never check it!

Although I've had quite a few punctures and slow tyre deflation (due to poor sealing around corroded alloy wheels), I just re-inflate the tyre with an electric pump and then drive to a tyre centre. The last time I changed a wheel, by puncture necessity, was not on my a daily driver but whilst on holiday in the old Jag in 2015. Because I was at a festival and parked in the middle of a field I changed the wheel then, but prior to that I don't think I needed to do a roadside wheel change for donkey's years, and only once on a motorcycle.

Might I ask, how often others have needed to do so, either by summonsing a breakdown service or on ones own ? Do you still always carry a spare wheel ? and how often do you check it's still inflated ?

Thanks, Bfg.

Most breakdown services require you to carry either a functional spare or a tyre repair gunk. If you don't, they can refuse to help.

I'd check the pressure of the spare at least every year or so. The one in my Boxster was completely flat. Good job I haven't had to rely on it!

My plan if I get a puncture is unless I'm on level, smooth and flat ground, I'll call out a recovery service. Way too dangerous changing a wheel on a busy road or motorway. Especially trying to jack it up with the crappy scissor jack and invariably failing to get the lug nuts off after a tyre monkey has done them up with an air impact!

I've never had a puncture.

My rover had a porous alloy that lost about 3psi a week, but never had a proper puncture.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Although I've had quite a few punctures and slow tyre deflation (due to poor sealing around corroded alloy wheels), I just re-inflate the tyre with an electric pump and then drive to a tyre centre.  The last time I changed a wheel, by puncture necessity, was not on my a daily driver but whilst on holiday in the old Jag in 2015.  Because I was at a festival and parked in the middle of a field I changed the wheel then, but prior to that I don't think I needed to do a roadside wheel change for donkey's years, and only once on a motorcycle.   

Might I ask, how often others have needed to do so, either by summonsing a breakdown service or on ones own ?   Do you still always carry a spare wheel ? and how often do you check it's still inflated ? 

Thanks, Bfg.      

Most tyre places will sort a corroded alloy rim out for a few quid or donation to their tea & coffee fund. Worth doing if you know you've got a slow air leak and the tyre isn't damaged and the valve is good.

The only time I've called out a breakdown service to change a wheel is when I had a courtesy car. They couldn't find the spare and were about to leave until I spotted the aerosol can of get you home in a cubbyhole in the boot.

I always make sure I have a good spare wheel in my car. I don't check the pressure that often though because I forget and it's a hassle to get out - every 3-4 months probably - but it rarely gets below the specified pressure.

^ If that's 7.7 kw @ 230v (single phase / household) then its current is 30 amp ..so likewise I agree it ought to.  The fuse in the mig welder is unlikely to be more than that, otherwise it would trip a home's fuse box (for where the welder was designed to be used).

Bfg

Barnsley That's up even further north than Northampton isn't it ?? :mrgreen:

I'm interested in a set of four wheels from up there, no tyres so just crusty 15" x 5" steel wheels, being offered on ebay. 

The seller won't stick em in a box and says a courier would cost too much. So is anyone able to help get them from up there to down 'er in Suffolkshire. Ipswich IP6.?   ;)

..or perhaps someone might collect them and wrap them as two parcels for MyHermes to collect ? 

Thanks, Bfg.  

I'm interested in a set of four wheels from up there, no tyres so just crusty 15" x 5" steel wheels, being offered on ebay. 

The seller won't stick em in a box and says a courier would cost too much. So is anyone able to help get them from up there to down 'er in Suffolkshire. Ipswich IP6.?   ;)

..or perhaps someone might collect them and wrap them as two parcels for MyHermes to collect ? 

Thanks, Bfg.  

If you can get them towards Newark I'll bring them back to Stowmarket

Thanks, Bfg.  

I’m in Barnsley if it helps... could look to collect and wrap up for a courier or may be able to get Newark way (fairly regularly going to Lincoln at the moment)

What is the best way to remove mould stains from here?

It's on a corsa so I could just set fire to it but my daughter wouldn't be happy.

4249ee2647e63803260d7db042bd328e.jpg

You could try white vinegar. Give everything a thorough clean and hoovering first, hopefully this will remove further mould spores. White vinegar in a spray bottle and a clean lint free cloth and a scrubbing brush. Bit of elbow grease. Allow the car to air out in the sun. Try to keep the interior of the car clean & dry.

Apparently a solution of lemon juice and salt in hot water is good for fabrics, but I've not tried that.

A lot of mould removers contain bleach or peroxide, both of which will fade or damage the trims & headliner, so avoid if possible.

Quick query - are cheapo OBD2 fault code scanners any earthly use? Just looking something basic for a Mk1 Yaris with a 'check engine' light displaying.

Longer version of the same query - available on the AAS forum (I know not everyone checks in there).

http://autoshite.com/topic/35205-cheapo-ebay-obd2-readers-are-they-even-worth-trying-talk-to-me/?p=1793409

Merci.

Quick query - are cheapo OBD2 fault code scanners any earthly use? Just looking something basic for a Mk1 Yaris with a 'check engine' light displaying.

Longer version of the same query - available on the AAS forum (I know not everyone checks in there).

http://autoshite.com/topic/35205-cheapo-ebay-obd2-readers-are-they-even-worth-trying-talk-to-me/?p=1793409

Merci.

I've bought 2 from eBay in the last year or so and they were both DOA.

My dad has one which will read my brother's Focus Mk1, but not his other half's Focus Mk2, reads dad's Discovery 3 but not mum's Jag XF and won't read my Saab.

Not sure if they're model or firmware specific.

I have been using for the last 8 years or so the same ELM327 bluetooth device, one that looks just like this one:

https://img.staticbg.com/thumb/large/upload/2012/liangping/SKU082507%20(3).JPG

with great success on cars around MY 2000. Always read the codes, most of the times it can delete it, and also nice shiny displaying of various sensors. 

Right now it sits permanently in my Wagon R, because the VSS is not cooperating, and when the ECU figures out that there's no vehicle speed data it throws a tantrum and stops actuating the idle air actuator, dropping my idle as low as 450 rpm. So ELM in OBD socket, phone on cradle, Torque app running and as soon as I detect the dropping idle check faults and delete them.

I’m in Barnsley if it helps... could look to collect and wrap up for a courier or may be able to get Newark way (fairly regularly going to Lincoln at the moment)

Now that would be fantastic guys.!  The wheels are still for sale and I've sent the seller an offer.  Hopefully he'll reply soon and positively.  Then if  Si1881 would be so kind as to pick 'em up and co-ordinate with 95 quid Pug  then I'll be well away  ..or should that read wheel away  :)   

I'll be back to you as soon as I hear.  

Mucho gracias

Has anybody on here used this stuff?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283315382498?ul_noapp=true

My headlights are bloody woeful, and on closer inspection, the reflectors have been spray painted silver, so I get a diffused light rather than a beam.

I was going to buy this and re-spray the reflectors.

Decent Phase 1 V70 headlights are getting hard to come by now, at a reasonable price anyhow.