Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

GM : yes I would agree with cobblers.  Perhaps easier to see when the main road is a wide junction ; then you would have pulled to the middle and waited for oncoming traffic to clear before you crossed their oncoming lane.

I had one today..  I was coming out of a co-op car park and turning left,  not crossing the road.  I looked left and a couple of cars were coming, but there was no obstruction on my side.   I looked right and it was clear,  so I started to ease out.   At that very same moment the first of the two oncoming cars to my left -  swooped across to my side of the road ..presumably to park immediately outside the shops.   Had I not been paying attention I might easily have pulled out straight into him.  If not head-on then into his side..  :?

No harm done,  not even that close,  but it was an interesting one...   because I was turning into the street, whereas he was driving down the wrong side. !  :shock:

I can only presume ; right or wrong comes down to a matter of seconds. If I had been a second or two earlier then I would have already been on that road (and not still coming out of the turning / side road or driveway).  So, in a head on I would have been in the right ?   But.. had I hit him in the side then it would have been because I was still in the side turning with nose of the car pointing out / coming into the street.  So, because he was on the road (albeit on the wrong side) then he would have been in the right.  Is that correct ?  

From what I understand it is illegal to park and therefore drive on the wrong side of the road.

"From what I understand it is illegal to park and therefore drive on the wrong side of the road."

It's neither illegal to drive on the wrong side of the road, nor to park there.  Only reckless to do so when it may present a hazard to others. !

It used to be that if you parked facing oncoming traffic - then you were required by highway law to leave your 'parking lights' on.  Many vehicle manufacturers had it configured (to save battery power) that you could leave just one side's parking / side-lights on, activated via the indicator ...but I don't know if that's still done.  As I rarely see cars parked the 'other way' with their sidelights on nowadays,  perhaps that's another law that changed when I was out of the country, or else was too difficult to enforce with no plodders on the ground. ?

Many motorcyclist have been criticised for being on the wrong side of the road, particularly before a LH corner, but it's not illegal.  What many oncoming car drivers don't seem to recognise is that the biker's road positioning (clear of trees & scrubs) enables him to see further in advance.  He's long before seen the oncoming vehicle ...while the said driver is still choosing his (or her) music,  having a snack en-route,  picking his nose,  scratching or otherwise rubbing his crotch, then a quick fag (I'm referring to a cigarette !),  resetting the gps,  and has answered the phone. ! :all_coholic:

Said car driver is actually annoyed at him or her self - because they were taken by surprise ...because they were half asleep, not paying attention, or otherwise distracted.   The keen rider without such distractions is focused on the road conditions, his line around a vehicle or corner, and any other such obstacles which may effect his progress*.

* oncoming cars fall into this category ;-)

Nothing concrete. It is one of the facts that is everywhere.

Write off is an economic decision, nothing to do with roadworthy state. I looked into it with focus.

But of course internet lawyer stuff applies.

What is this bulb? From my mondeo headlight control. Probably need the whole little unit, as bulb doesn't come out easily. Not a 506ts which is a bit bigger.....

Has number 0593 on the side and also OL and 6 on it.

post-20084-0-22817500-1457622290_thumb.jpg

Guest Breadvan72

I suspect bad Earths on the tail/ stop lights on my Dolomite.  It is not bulbs or fuses.  The bulb holders have two wires connected to blade connectors.  Anyone know how to check the Earths?  Ta

I suspect bad Earths on the tail/ stop lights on my Dolomite.  It is not bulbs or fuses.  The bulb holders have two wires connected to blade connectors.  Anyone know how to check the Earths?  Ta

Does it look like this?

518041.jpg

If there are only two spade connectors neither will be ground, one will be tail light and the other brake. It will be grounded through the springy bit to the left of the picture above, try cleaning that and the socket it pushes into.

Only the one relay for the indicators and hazards so a common point. I'm thinking it's the earth return to the switch. I'll make up an extra earth wire tonight and rig that up to see.

There's not a lot to them...

Hmm, swapping the complete indicator stalk back to th bullet connectors in the dash made no difference. But then the hazard switch fell apart completely. Squeezing it back together made the indicators work and tell tales flash and click. So I think I need a new hazard switch! Also need a new warning lamp holder for the dash, as I snapped the terminal off one getting the dash out and don't seem to have a spare.

What is this bulb? From my mondeo headlight control. Probably need the whole little unit, as bulb doesn't come out easily. Not a 506ts which is a bit bigger.....

Has number 0593 on the side and also OL and 6 on it.

Looks like this:

http://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/286tac-12v-12w-t5-instrument-panel-light-bulb--holder-x-2-1759-p.asp

Volvo question. Back end seems to scrape on corners but even worse with a load in the boot or people in back. Sounds as if mudguards hitting the road or tyre rubbing somewhere. I'm guessing springs and shocks? It has a towbar so probably towed a heavy nosed van

Guest Breadvan72

Does it look like this?

518041.jpg

If there are only two spade connectors neither will be ground, one will be tail light and the other brake. It will be grounded through the springy bit to the left of the picture above, try cleaning that and the socket it pushes into.

Thanks, will give it a go.

Got my MOT pass sheet, with advisories for the rear brake discs being fucked when they've just been replaced as part of the failure.

If I go back will I be told to get lost or can it be taken off? I'm not best impressed considering what it cost and it STILL doesn't have a clean MOT.

Got my MOT pass sheet, with advisories for the rear brake discs being fucked when they've just been replaced as part of the failure.

If I go back will I be told to get lost or can it be taken off? I'm not best impressed considering what it cost and it STILL doesn't have a clean MOT.

Once it's on the MOT certificate, it remains on the MOT history permanently then unfortunately