Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Back in the eighties ,vauxhall astra / FWD cavalier - and their  gearboxes .. you could do a clutch change without box removal;  Me Dads fitters got it down to (i think ) about 35 minutes ? Did any other manufactures copy the idea ? Do vauxhall  still have the sliding shaft feature ? 

Back in the eighties ,vauxhall astra / FWD cavalier - and their  gearboxes .. you could do a clutch change without box removal;  Me Dads fitters got it down to (i think ) about 35 minutes ? Did any other manufactures copy the idea ? Do vauxhall  still have the sliding shaft feature ? 

^That was a great design.  You could actually do it on cars built into the mid 90s as long as they had the flat flywheel.  The diesels and then the Ecotecs had a pot-type flywheel (no idea why..) which meant you could no longer drop the clutch down as there wasn't space.  You could still pull the input shaft out though.  Cue mechanics across the land weeping into their coffee :D

Am I silly to be going to view a 1.6 petrol auto Renault scenic? Mk1 on a y plate. Should I look for certain Things or just steer clear?

Body-wise, check the rear arches/sill ends and the battery tray.

Electrics-wise, make sure the immobiliser works, it's a royal PITA to disable in the petrols. There'll be plenty of other electrical issues (because Renault) but one can usually learn to live with them.

Engine-wise, they're reasonably strong. Coilpacks are the usual cause of running problems. Make sure the belt has been done, as they're interference.

Auto gearbox would be a deal-breaker for most people. They're really fragile, even when properly maintained. If, however, the rest of the car is mint and selling for peanuts, it may be worth the gamble.

An engine turns fuel into mechanical power, ie petrol in, torque out.

A motor produces mechanical power from another form of power, ie electric current, compressed gas, pressurised liquid in, and force, usually torque, out.

Think of the steam locomotive: the whole thing is an engine, coal fuel in, power (to pull the train) out.

The cylinders / pistons / valves / cranks are the motor which is powered by the steam from the coal fired boiler.

Body-wise, check the rear arches/sill ends and the battery tray.

Electrics-wise, make sure the immobiliser works, it's a royal PITA to disable in the petrols. There'll be plenty of other electrical issues (because Renault) but one can usually learn to live with them.

Engine-wise, they're reasonably strong. Coilpacks are the usual cause of running problems. Make sure the belt has been done, as they're interference.

Auto gearbox would be a deal-breaker for most people. They're really fragile, even when properly maintained. If, however, the rest of the car is mint and selling for peanuts, it may be worth the gamble.

Owner wants 300. Needs a boot catch and front windows faulty. I think I'll stay clear

Yes but the DVLA site will explain better than I can.

Can also affect the applicable speed limits for the vehicle as well.

Speed limit changes from 60 to 70 on motorways. Insurance is easier. Last couple of times it has made no difference to tax band

Also changes MOT test it goes in for

Got a Concentric Slave Cylinder and Clutch to fit on a 1.0litre Corsa C.

Just wondering, is it easier to pull out the box and drive shafts, or pull the engine out ?

Thanks !

I've always done it by box.

For what that's worth.

My mate's wanting to buy a 4 year old Skoda Yeti. He asked me what's the best one to go for.

All the diesels are 2.0 VAG shite, does anyone know if they various power ratings have the usual DMF of doom associated to these engines? He does town driving so I was saying he should get a petrol but the motors are either 1.2 tsi, 1.4 tfsi (which I hear are problematic) or a 1.8t, which I guess is the old engine from the TT? Not exactly a choice engine selection. Anyone no what's what with these? D

I recon he should get a Dacia Sandero but he seems to like them.