Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Double check all vac pipes . Also on the rocker cover their are two breather pipes , one smaller than the other . Where the small one connects to the throttle body is prone to blocking up . You need to take the tb off and clean it out . It's only a pinhole really so a bit of mig wire is ideal

Double check all vac pipes . Also on the rocker cover their are two breather pipes , one smaller than the other . Where the small one connects to the throttle body is prone to blocking up . You need to take the tb off and clean it out . It's only a pinhole really so a bit of mig wire is ideal

Thanks,trouble is this is the engine with the stupid inlet that goes right down the back of engine then up and over and back over covering injectors and pipework with the throttle body halfway down the back of the engine. I'll try to have a good look at it tomorrow

No its the x16xe I think the engine is. Stupidly long stupid intakefrom airborne down back of engine to throttle body(cable operated) then looks as if it goes straight into the engine with 4 cast pipes as one unit whatgoes from top of rocker cover over the injectors and back down the back of engine

No its the x16xe I think the engine is. Stupidly long stupid intakefrom airborne down back of engine to throttle body(cable operated) then looks as if it goes straight into the engine with 4 cast pipes as one unit whatgoes from top of rocker cover over the injectors and back down the back of engine

Duff plugs and leads can cause the coil to fail. I'd be tempted to plug in he reader to check it isn't anything else. ECP should provide cheap leads and plugs. Alternatively you could try the breakers yard to swap for a set of known good ones from a car that driven in and you can test. Problem here is that when you start chucking second hand bits in you have no idea if they are any good.

The Vectra should be OBD2 compliant? Diagnostics should hopefully pinpoint the cyl which is misfiring.

In any case a fault with the ignition such as this will eventually damage the cat.

Plugs as a rule tend to last longer than the intervals, so unless they are fucked, its likely to be the leads breaking down or the coil that's on it's way out.

I'd also check the inlet butterflies for carbon build up, this costs nothing yet you can rule it out easily, cleans it out with some carb cleaner or similar.

What do you lot know about van hire?

I need a transit size van for a very busy wedding 5 days next week

In the North East.

Look there seems different insurances.

I was using man maths and any other terms to get my hands on Castro's Renault van.

Does anyone know roughly how long a steering rack and a PAS pump should take on an 02-58 Fiesta? I'm presuming it's an engine out job.

Sister has a leaky PAS unit, and apparently a rack that's on its way out, and has been quoted £1400(!) to get it sorted. I smell BS on the rack, but the PAS is definitely leaking from somewhere.

Next thing, can any Norwich based shiters recommend a half decent garage that wouldn't mind if she (I) sourced the parts beforehand?

I rent out a Transit Custom like that for £50+vat per day. Insurance excess is £1k so any dents get knocked out cheaply by Dodgytom's mate and the cost passed on. The big boys tend to vary their prices depending on what's in stock where the little companies have a set price and either have a van or don't. Our insurance company don't care what you do for a living so long as you are between 21 and 75 and have 6 points or less.

This isn't an advert, I'm 250 miles from Durham.

Doubtless there has been a thread or two already on the subject, but here goes....

The 1993 Mercury Sable (Ford V6 all iron 'Vulcan' engine) that is now mine needs a coolant top up. Not due to leaks, just that I have removed the coolant header tank to treat some surface rust underneath.

The coolant is red, so I assume it is the OAT stuff. I have some Halfords OAT ready mixed coolant to top up. The question is, is OAT coolant suitable for this engine/cooling system? IIRC the OAT stuff wasn't invented until 1996 or something. Do I just top it up or drain the system and re fill with old skool blue/green antifreeze? Will the red stuff do harm?

This might be a blindingly obvious question, but how exactly do you lock your keys inside your car? I've grown up to expect this to be more of a problem and so far I know of no instances where this has happened to either me or one of the many people I know.

You can leave the keys and a toddler who likes to push buttons in the car.

This has happened to us* with both our boys at that age, both times I had to break the window to get them out.   I'm waiting until they are a bit older before they begin working off the debt.

*the wife

Cars with boot release buttons on the key fob are a favourite . You walk up to car , pop boot , drop shopping ( and keys) in boot . Shut boot and realise keys now locked in car . For some reason it's ford foci that seem prone to this . Another on is cars with passive arming ie you unlock with plip and if you don't open door within 30secs they relock . This is fine until the drivers courtesy light switch breaks so the locking system doesn't know you have opened the door and put your keys in the ign or on the seat .

Or it's a Renault with the key card ign which has a mind of it's own

Smart cars. Auto lock a few seconds after the door being closed. This is especially fun* when you are about to leave a car show, the engine is running, you close the boot just as a brat comes past and pushes the door closed. It is even more fun as you lunge for the door handle a millisecond too late and it locks. With the engine happily running. Obviously.

This might be a blindingly obvious question, but how exactly do you lock your keys inside your car? I've grown up to expect this to be more of a problem and so far I know of no instances where this has happened to either me or one of the many people I know.

Chucked the keys of a BMW 735i into the boot whilst I took the shopping out,slammed boot.

remote unlocking didnt work, boot button on dash broken, locksmith said these feckers cant be sprung, RAC man gave up, in the end had to drill then saw the panel behind the rear arm rest and get a small child in to get the keys back 6 hours later. Fucking high end beemers and security !