Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

A friend in Lille took this photo this other day.

My question is - which model of Ami is it?

I don't know a huge amount about them. He swears it's an Ami 8 but I think/guess it's a 6 (Club?). The twin headlights are throwing me a bit.

I think it's a late 6.  I think the 8s all had the single oval headlamps and smoother nose.  

Dollywobbler will be along in a minute with the definitive answer, though.

I'd seen those Volvo jobbies on eBay, but didn't realise they were made by Alpine. I'm assuming that most OEM stuff will have model-specific wiring and security codes though? I'd prefer an aftermarket one, but I can't be doing with tacky LCD displays and cluttered controls, which most seem to have.

The Proton has a second DIN-size slot under the stereo, and if I'm unable to find matching 'seperates' I might cut out the plastic dividing strip and bung a suitably dated double-DIN in there.

When (roughly) did double-DIN stereos start being used?

And were there ever systems spread over 2 or more single-DIN units? I don't mean extra equalizers bolted wherever they'd fit.

My 2000 Polio has a radio cassette and single CD separate DINs in the dash, standard fitment.

Oooh, by modern standards that looks quite tasteful. I shall keep an eye out for one.

Although I do wish it had "DOUBLE ENTRY!" printed on the fascia somewhere. That'd really make the chicks laugh.

They must get a focus group of 12 year old boys together when they design those stereos "MD/CD changer control". I.e you can change from CD to tape.

I think that just means that the head unit can be linked to a remote CD (or MiniDisc) mutli-changer.

Actually, a Minidisc player would be absolutely perfect. It's the 21st-century equivalent of an 8-track.

A MiniDisc changer is ultra-rare, I would have loved one in my bumpy polo. Instead I had a CD changer so I could listen to 3-second clips of songs between skips. Eventually binned it in favour of a MD single slot head unit.

I have seen OEM double-DIN units with CD and Minidisc slots in the front, but they're usually removed from JDM grey imports. I'd be very tempted by one, if I had more confidence in my re-wiring abilities.

I would imagine they have ISO connectors, so they'll either plug straight in, or just buy a pair of ISO blocks for an older car and they're a piece of pee to wire up. 8 wires for speakers, perm power, switched power, ground will sort it.

Not sure if Japanese radios tune the same on FM though - American units only tune even numbers or something stupid. 

I think that was what i was remembering, although luckily it also applies to FM, we go 87.5 to 108MHz and the Americans go 87.9 to 107MHz.

However the Japanese are weird, and use 76 to 90MHz, so if you fit a JDM double din unit you won't be able to pick up Radio 1.

(Sales of JDM head units shoot up on this revelation)