Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Cheers gents for the choke answers. Both my allegro and maestro are on manual choke and even after 5 - 10 minutes of running, they like a bit of choke. The condensing fuel explains it. My chain saw needs choke until it kicks then no choke to start.

Does the choke itself actually raise the tickover, or does the choke mechanism also slightly open the throttle to raise it? I always thought it was the latter

You're right - the choke by itself doesn't raise revs but they usually have a separate mechanism to raise the idle speed.

5-10 minutes is about right for A-series engines on an SU carb, especially with the HLE carb.

There's always one exception, too - aircooled Fiat 126 carburettors choke worked on a seperate by-pass channel that both raised the idle and spat more fuel in at the same time.

A:-  All Morris/Austin/VDP/AllAggro 1300s which appear in Tat thread "...must buy & save, or will be B-raped for M*N*scene!"

B:-  All M*N*s are terminal minginng rotboxes - so goes all A$ Wisdom.

..... tell me, are there enough M*N*sceners, currently bell polishing, to account for the BR of every 1300 to appear on BayofEvill/Glumtree?

TS

Inspired by said ad (I would if it wasn't a gold 440 in Leamington etc etc) - what was the largest production engine to be run with CVT? I always assumed it was limited to small cars of 1.3l or less, but apparently not. Is there a limit on the amount of torque or power that CVT can be made to work with?

Inspired by said ad (I would if it wasn't a gold 440 in Leamington etc etc) - what was the largest production engine to be run with CVT? I always assumed it was limited to small cars of 1.3l or less, but apparently not. Is there a limit on the amount of torque or power that CVT can be made to work with?

This link to some folk who make the chain/belt mentions 400Nm in Audi applications.

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/products/transmission_components/cvt/luk_kette_sv/LuK_Kette_sv.jsp

Mrs_Jon arrived home tonight with a very unhappy sounding 205. I'm certain it's related to the fabled 'rear beam' and it so happened that I was busy in the garage at the time picking the very last few saveable bits off our spares 205 at the time. It's a 1.6GTi and ours is a 1.9GTi, so there's differences at least in the braking set-up (1.6 - drums and single rear brake line with splitter, 1.9 discs and duals) but does anyone have any experience of dropping the whole assembly (suspension, brakes etc.) and/or doing a disc to drums swap? Disc nipples are FUBAR, hence the swap, which will allow me to get the original bits overhauled in good time. Currently 4 roadworthy cars and only one is working!

The only thing left on the spares car is the rear suspension/brake/beam assembly and two spare wheels (I was wheeling it around the driveway with my Dad today, like it was a massive wheelbarrow) and I'll be tipping it on its side for better access tomorrow but any 'how-to' advice would be much appreciated.

Since a Meriva A is a corsa c in drag, would this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160962067725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

fit? It seems better value than 2x rods and ends at £30 a pop, plus possibly gaitors when for that little bit extra I can sort the whole fucking thing out and job done. Any special tools needed? Anyone ever spannered a spazz wagon meriva?

Something that I have wondered about for a while...

If I buy a car that is on a cherished* numberplate is it possible to transfer it back to its original numberplate if that is known or would it just end up on a different age related plate?

When I sold my mum's car we transfered the cherished to my DS. Divla gave the Toyota it's original number back which was well handy as the original dealer plates were on the shelf in the garage. I expect it depends on when the fancy plate was put on - before or after computers became the norm.

Stupid question here, but what is a Porsche 944 with no MOT and borked sills worth? It is a 1984 version. All sound generally, good interior and functioning electrical goodies. 130K. Good bodywork, good paint etc. Engine all good and starts on the button. No mechanical issues etc.

is £950 unrealistic?

Ta.

The best thing to do is to stick it out there and see what happens. 950 doesn't seem too cheap if you know what I mean? There are mot and taxed ones on ebay for around 1400-1500 quid and solid ones with some not that complex mechanical issues for just under a grand.  I'd be tempted to ebay it starting at 500 quid with no reserve.