Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Nothing to do with the above, just a genuine stupid question: how do you post a link (to ebay, car and classic, etc) on this forum? Everyone seems to do it, but no "copy and paste" method seems to work? The message dialogue box just won't accept it? Even typing out the URL address in a message doesn't produce a link. Help, and sorry for the stupidity!!

Nothing to do with the above, just a genuine stupid question: how do you post a link (to ebay, car and classic, etc) on this forum? Everyone seems to do it, but no "copy and paste" method seems to work? The message dialogue box just won't accept it? Even typing out the URL address in a message doesn't produce a link. Help, and sorry for the stupidity!!

Use the more reply options instead of just reply. Up the top is loads of icons many of which I refuse to understand but one of them looks a bit like a chain link with a + sign next to it, hit that then copy/paste your link in there.

Why do big trucks have a metric fuckload of lights on them? Do they ever use them?

my mate who used to run his own wagon reckons that all the customising bits and pieces, (exminox stacks, spotlights, alcoa wheels, airbrushed pictures of various prostitutes they've murdered over the years) are all tax deductible as business expenses so for an owner driver it makes sense. cut your tax bill by spending some money on customising, basically. apart from that I could never see the point..unless its an old classic truck it's just a tool to do a job. (IMO obviously)

Am breaking the (rusty) 944 and have some interest in the wheels. Cookie cutters with almost new tyres. Thing is, I will need the car to be moveable if I sell the wheels and need to break the rest. Only need to push it in and out of the garage and onto the road and back so I can move my other cars around. What wheels could I fit? Anything would do, even if only held on by one wheel nut or something. Tricky.

Have we got any fluent french speakers that could do a favor for me. I am trying to buy a clock for my Hotchkiss in france and the seller won't answer my emails. I did have someone who said they were really good at french turns out she was even worse than I am. I have got a phone number for the seller if any one can help me thanks

The power rating of the lightbulb is the power into it so doubling the electrical power into it should double the amount of light out of it. 

But things aren't that simple, bulbs are really, really inefficient and nearly all of the electricity ends up as heat not the light you want so how much useful light you actually get depends on lots of variables, ie all bulbs vary (and all bulbs age).

Also, the way we see brightness etc is complicated, doublimg the power of your lights (all else being equal) will make the lights seem brighter, but you won.t be able to see twice as far or twice as clearly.

I hate lorry drivers with blue lights up front. I just hate seeing blue lights on the road as it makes me think I have to get out of the way, and last time I checked cars weren't allowed to use them so how come the murderers are allowed blue/green and whatever?

2x40W lights will use as much electricity as 1x80W light, but since it's not being emitted from the same point (it's now coming out of two different filaments) it won't look quite as bright all things being equal. 

Why is a Luton bodied van called a Luton?

Hats. The first bodies built with a box or "Luton head" above the cab were built in Luton to transport straw hats in boxes for one of the local milliners. Hat boxes are bulky but not heavy and more could be carried. The idea caught on and since it originated in Luton, the name Luton van stuck.

Hats. The first bodies built with a box or "Luton head" above the cab were built in Luton to transport straw hats in boxes for one of the local milliners. Hat boxes are bulky but not heavy and more could be carried. The idea caught on and since it originated in Luton, the name Luton van stuck.

AND it looks like a little hat for the cab.

***modern shite question****

Stepdaughters 106 1.1 "Zest" has just failed the MoT on a few bits - none of which are expensive part-wise, but possibly labour intensive, and I neither have the time/inclination/health to do the repairs. So, she's now considering either another cheapo shitter (Red 206 Estate details have been emailed to her) or strapping herself in for some finance.

Dacia Sandero boggo spec is available for £69pm or summat ridiculous, so the main point of this rambly old bollocks is:

How shit is it, compared to the 106? 106 has keep fit windows, no powah steering, no alloys, no central locking, but I reckon it's a proper laugh to throw about. Is the Dacia gonna be shitter?

@outlaw

I papped this Sandero in mid-November.

WP_000085_zps828631d7.jpg

Dunno what it's like to drive, but I thought it a totally miserable looking shitbox, devoid of any imagination. Paint wasn't all that, either, very orange-peely. Looked like fuck all squared inside. All black.

Personally, I'd go for the Puglet. Will be better kitted, a bit less grim and cheaper in the long run.

The base spec Sandero is proper poverty spec. Manual windows, only available in white and I think a stereo is on the options list. Not seen them commended for the driving experience either.

What's the best (cheapest) way of removing lots of  big oily smudges/stains from car paint? The Volvo's front end all round the bonnet and door handles are manky. The normal car wash stuff I use isn't touching it, neither is washing up liquid.

I've been digging around t'internet and seen 20 different answers, mostly for products that A) aren't sold in this country, and B) cost a bomb.

Someone said WD40, which I can see the logic behind, or engine degreaser (yes, I realise I'll have to rinse it thoroughly and wax it again, I'll be doing that anyway but I need to get it clean first) or even T-Cut.

Any suggestions?

What's the best (cheapest) way of removing lots of  big oily smudges/stains from car paint? The Volvo's front end all round the bonnet and door handles are manky. The normal car wash stuff I use isn't touching it, neither is washing up liquid.

I've been digging around t'internet and seen 20 different answers, mostly for products that A) aren't sold in this country, and B) cost a bomb.

Someone said WD40, which I can see the logic behind, or engine degreaser (yes, I realise I'll have to rinse it thoroughly and wax it again, I'll be doing that anyway but I need to get it clean first) or even T-Cut.

Any suggestions?

I keep a tin of lighter fluid in my cleaning box( yes I know it's sad) and it's great for this sort of thing, it can make some plastics go white though.