Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Just perusing ebay, and typed in Crown Victoria; have been meaning to look at the prices since I had one as a rental in the USof A a few years back. (Was a free upgrade - paid for a shitty small thing, got that BONUS) and found this beastie:

$(KGrHqJ,!i!E-0+m0ZJ,BP6frE3uOw~~_12.JPG

It's a POlice interceptor, 4.6 V8 from 20074, and up for 10k, but that's not the question.

It's kicking(!) out 210bhp which is BALLS, why so little? Surely as an "interceptor" it should have been uprated a bit? Also I'm surmising, tune up bits would be fairly simple, and available? (Not that I've got £10k to piss up the wall...but one day....)

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Crown-Vi ... 35bdae37c3

It's a POlice interceptor, 4.6 V8 from 20074, and up for 10k, but that's not the question.

It's kicking(!) out 210bhp which is BALLS, why so little?

I've got 65% of the capacity in 75% of the cylinders but it still gives in excess of 10% more power than that V8.

However, it only gives 210bhp because its very lowly tuned, understressed and so capable of massive mileages running on shit fuel.

210bhp on US "gas" is equivalent to about 290* on proper British fuel.

after a huge amount of pissing about i have just collected these

$T2eC16Z,!)0E9s37HkiKBQGu)Kuf)!~~60_12.JPG

the wheels are marked 13weller95 and s008 4095et12

advertised as weller racing steel wheels with a 4x98 pcd , but with the implication they had been removed from a corsa.

i had to ask 5 times over a period of 3 weeks for a pickup address, each time getting no useful location info in reply :roll:

but as this is not the G.O.M. thread i have a (stupid) question or two :oops:

1. does this mean they are 4x95 pcd (or 4x95.25/4x3.75 as i cant find anything with a 95mm pcd)?

2. what will they fit? rover, triumph, standard ?

3. are they worth anything as i have nothing to put them on?

4. is question 3 answered by buying something from question 2? :lol:

thanks in advance

4x98 is a Fiat/Lada/FSO PCD if memory serves me correct - but 95 will indeed fit Trumps and later Rovers, but the offset looks like they'd fit a Blue Bond just nicely...!

i was hoping for a scene tax bonus of 4x100 or a set of wheels for my uno van :? mostly bought for the tyres which were sold as "hardly used"

Can't help with the wheels, but are those winter tyres?

don't think so but i have not really had time to look at them closely, i hope not :lol:

Do practical jokers still stick potatoes up exhausts?

i have only ever used bananas :wink:

If you run a Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 down to zero fuel and then wonder why it has cut out after starting perfectly and moving 2 feet followed by multiple attempts to start it with no success, are you likely to have caused any expensive death like other cars you read about with exploding fuel pumps and such or will popping a couple of jerry cans of unleaded in the tank solve all issues?

RE: XUD cambelt changes.

Internet says 40,000 or 4 years. I reckon mine is due a belt change soon, God knows what sort of job it'll be

XUD 306 belts are a doddle tro do, hardest bit is finding the hole for the flywheel lock......

+1

The trick is to make a tool, about 10 - 12 inches long, basically just a rod with a loop on the end.

Like this:

O----------

Something equivalent of M8 diameter would be fine.

Remove injector wires and injector lines, slide the tool horizontally down the block behind the starter motor, with your finger in the loop of the tool and the point against the shoulder of the engine, gearbox end. With a slight pressure on the loop end and a bit of a poke about you should find the hole in the engine shoulder no problem. When the pointy drops into the hole, you will feel it come up against the flywheel. Just beware you have to do it blind, there is no way you will see that hole. Leave the tool there, turn the engine over slowly by hand, and with a gentle pressure on the loop. The rod should then drop into the hole on the flywheel and hey, presto, you have TDC on the block without too much of a ballache.

And considering water pumps - IMHO they should be okay if they feel okay, its a really simple design and unless the bearings are buggered it will be okay. Its personal preference really.

All I have to say is good luck!

Anyone ever driven a Ford Consul Mk2 1703cc? What do they drive like and live with?, Are they a real gutless tank or a nice cool cruiser?.

I've seen one i like, made a offer that involves my Cortina and the amount i was going to spend on it's respray and the sellers shown an interest, I'm now wondering if it's such a good idea as i like my Cortina but always loved the Mk2 shape Consul/Zodiac./Zephyr styling.

I've driven one and don't recall it being too dreary - though I am used to shit-slow cars. They do feel nice and solid and have a superb column gearchange (when in good order). Would be a step down from the 'tina for sure.

Anyone ever driven a Ford Consul Mk2 1703cc? What do they drive like and live with?, Are they a real gutless tank or a nice cool cruiser?.

I've seen one i like, made a offer that involves my Cortina and the amount i was going to spend on it's respray and the sellers shown an interest, I'm now wondering if it's such a good idea as i like my Cortina but always loved the Mk2 shape Consul/Zodiac./Zephyr styling.

I've driven one and don't recall it being too dreary - though I am used to shit-slow cars. They do feel nice and solid and have a superb column gearchange (when in good order). Would be a step down from the 'tina for sure.

How about an A55 MK1 Cambridge? Fantastic, underrated cars, lovely to drive, much cheaper than the Ford equivalent and just as stylish. Excellent column change as well. Just don't make the mistake I did and buy a rotten one...

Whats the best/easiest stuff to clean leather seats with? the cream/beige seats in the Volvo are looking a bit grubby.

Either the sweat and tears of your enemies, or if that's too difficult to obtain, Autoglym Leather Cleaner followed up with Autoglym Leather Balm, always worked a treat on the tan leather interior in Dad's old 740 and smells great too.

Hi. Not a stupid question more a plea for some help!

Is there anyone who knows about that horrible business of Wills, Estates, Trustees and Beneficiaries?

It's a very long story but basically one of the executors who has nothing to gain is taking control over the other beneficiaries. One of which is one of the deceased's daughters.

The sisters are being torn aprt by this and the 'senior' executor is shall we say not being 'forthcoming' with information.

A new car has disappeared, there is no info on what was in the estate aside from the house.

This is just a brief over view, it's a lot nastier.

We are worried about running up a huge legal even though we are sure as beneficiaries, costs can be sought from the Estate but the way things are this avenue might even have to be fought adding more costs!!

So 1st question - where does it say a a beneficiary can claim their costs from an estate?

Really sorry for non car stuff gents & Louise! etc but i've lost a lot of sleep over this and appreciate there are some clever people on here in their chosen paths!

woman who lives over the road from me has a 3-pot corsa that sounds like its knocking its nuts off, and has a mystery oil leak

i spoke to her this morning and she said ' a mechanic' looked at it and cant find anything wrong

i ve heard lots of nasty stories about these 3-pot engines, but not seen any proof as to how bad they are

any common faults with them?

or are they just crap?

Whats the best/easiest stuff to clean leather seats with? the cream/beige seats in the Volvo are looking a bit grubby.

Either the sweat and tears of your enemies, or if that's too difficult to obtain, Autoglym Leather Cleaner followed up with Autoglym Leather Balm, always worked a treat on the tan leather interior in Dad's old 740 and smells great too.

Any good leather cleaner,or saddle soap.I have used a flannel and normal hand soap before,such as Dove - if it doesn't hurt my hands,it certainly wont harm leather,plus its a lot cheaper