Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

No its a petrol turbo,its all mid range,sure it was a vxr? or even trying?

They are irritatingly quick. In a straight line. There's plenty of cheap shit that could waste one though, at a tenth of the cost.

I came up against one in the Rover of Doom on the A11 a couple of months ago (when the Rover was still running properly). It left the Rover for dead from about 80-120, then it got to a gradual bend and almost left the road sideways. So my experience of them matches yours.

Would have been interesting to come up against it in the Stagea though.

No its a petrol turbo,its all mid range,sure it was a vxr? or even trying?

They are irritatingly quick. In a straight line. There's plenty of cheap shit that could waste one though, at a tenth of the cost.

I came up against one in the Rover of Doom on the A11 a couple of months ago (when the Rover was still running properly). It left the Rover for dead from about 80-120, then it got to a gradual bend and almost left the road sideways. So my experience of them matches yours.

Would have been interesting to come up against it in the Stagea though.

...then it got to a gradual bend and almost left the road sideways. So my experience of them matches yours.

Corsas always have been evil-handling little shits. :evil:

I nearly ended up in someone's garden in one after jumping straight out my Clio into one and failing to make it round a corner the Clio did every day without a care in the world. Hateful little cars, no wonder kids are always chucking them into the scenery.

...then it got to a gradual bend and almost left the road sideways. So my experience of them matches yours.

Corsas always have been evil-handling little shits. :evil:

I nearly ended up in someone's garden in one after jumping straight out my Clio into one and failing to make it round a corner the Clio did every day without a care in the world. Hateful little cars, no wonder kids are always chucking them into the scenery.

Aiming for next weekend - too much to do tomorrow - did you need Pony Express? In fact does anyone?

No, just wondered as you won't be far from my doorstep when you collect and was going to arrange to meet you somewhere. You shandy drinking ponce. :P

Aiming for next weekend - too much to do tomorrow - did you need Pony Express? In fact does anyone?

No, just wondered as you won't be far from my doorstep when you collect and was going to arrange to meet you somewhere. You shandy drinking ponce. :P

Are naturally aspirated Xantia diesels unspeakably grim? Thinking about buying one.

I drove a n/a Dispatch van for a few miles and that was ok, and the n/a XUD goes really well in smaller cars.

I bought it. It is quite slow but you can make good progress in it, especially cross country, refusing to slow down for corners, the ride and handling are superb.

Sits at 80MPH happily enough on the motorway. It would be fairly quiet but there's a wheel or drive shaft bearing humming away.

Are naturally aspirated Xantia diesels unspeakably grim? Thinking about buying one.

I drove a n/a Dispatch van for a few miles and that was ok, and the n/a XUD goes really well in smaller cars.

I bought it. It is quite slow but you can make good progress in it, especially cross country, refusing to slow down for corners, the ride and handling are superb.

Sits at 80MPH happily enough on the motorway. It would be fairly quiet but there's a wheel or drive shaft bearing humming away.

Apologies for taking the thread on a non shite diversion, please forgive me... I have a particularly shite thread in the works.

I've got an ebay problem. To cut a long story short I sold something on ebay, still in shrink wrapping (so should be complete) to a bloke in Belgium, I set the initial international postage at £14.99 to send it via Royal Mails finest potential bidder then asks whether I can send it for less (airmail small packets) which I duly do. He pays me £40 in total and then today I get a load of crap from him about it being not as described, parts missing (which doesn't really sound right). I say if he sends it back to me then I'll issue him with a full refund upon receipt of it, just when we seem to be making headway he then says he wants £14.99 to send something that is now worth £10 and keeps on emphasising that it won't be worth it for me etc etc. Basically I'm 90% sure he's a chancer, he's opened a case and now wants his money and my goods... what can I do?

Just changed the brake master cylinder on the nova, turned out the old one was mullered. However, the brake pipe unions on the old one are 10mm and 12mm, the new one has two 10mm ones. Aside from changing the whole brake pipe for one with a smaller union, is there anything I can do to get the 12mm union to fit the 10mm fitment? I haven't seen any adaptors for sale unless I have looked in the wrong places.

I had this problem with the Cavalier, so: assuming you have a pipe flaring kit, I used the pipe cutter to cut the flared end off of the pipe, swapped the 12mm union for a 10mm one, and flared the pipe in situ and bolted it all back together. And yes, the pipes were factory fitted steel ones.

Fuel tanks.

On another thread it was claimed that running a saab 9000 with less than half a tank would cause the submerged pump to overheat and die in an expensive manner.

I've also heard this said about some other cars.

Can this be true?

Does anyone know a saab owner who doesn't fill up every 5 minutes who has had to replace a string of fuel pumps?

Or is bollocks?

On the subject of running the tank down to the fumes, this is supposed to be a bad thing.

"You'll suck up all the crap in the tank and run it into the engine"

Really? Where does all this crap come from? The petrol forecourts?

Or is it the, mostly plastic, tanks falling to bits?

I can understand that an old metal tank, in an old car may have a few rust flakes in it but isn't that why we have fuel filters?

Has anyone had to pull the fuel system to bits after a year or two of running the tank down to the fumes?

"You'll suck up all the crap in the tank and run it into the engine"

Dunno about the Saab 9000 thing but I'd definitely call BS on this. I've been playing FLB since I learned to drive and even running my 42 year old metal Volvo Amazon tank dry* one time had no unpleasant consequences.

*Dodgy fuel gauge rather than bravery/brazen stupidity/poverty in this instance... :oops:

I think low fuel level paranoia stems from the past when wanky old cars had crappy filler caps, usually vented, sticking out a couple of inches from the body, not all that waterproof, that and no cover when you fill the tank in the pissing rain meant that most tanks would have some water content sitting on the fuel, waiting it's chance to get at the carb and stuff him right in his main jet before giving the idle circuit a messy facial.

These days we have fuel filters rather than the bit of gauze if you're lucky, even if water makes it past, some or most would get dumped back in the tank by the return feed.

Yikes, My G4 monitor has just gone tits up. I have lurking in a corner the monitor from my old G3 but the plug is different and there is not a usb wire like on the G4. I also have a couple of flat screen monitors from pcs. Will any of the do if adapters can be found? Failing that anyone got a spare?

Fuel tanks.

On another thread it was claimed that running a saab 9000 with less than half a tank would cause the submerged pump to overheat and die in an expensive manner.

If the 9000 has a fuel gauge like the 900's where it doesn't register below 1/4 of a tank* then this is probably urban myth inflated by some unfortunate soul who had a pump fail purely by chance when the fuel was low.

*I wouldn't want to chance going below 1/4 tanks in any vehicle in a Scandanavian winter, so this makes sense. Once it was below 1/4 you'd have a bit of distance until the low fuel light would begin to come on but I would stick more in when the fuel light stayed on constantly.

You should find what you need here: http://www.welovemacs.com/adapters-moni ... pters.html

Prices will be salty from the US though - find what you need and go on ebay UK.

Looks a bit technical, if I did try to connect up a crt I presume it needs some sort of card in the tower. Have you any idea what the usb wire on the G4 monitor is for, will the G3 monitor work as it doesn't have one? I suppose the other alternative is to buy a complete G4 computer on ebay for rock all, if the monitors are not compatible perhaps I can swap the hard drives.

Some G4 monitors had a built in USB hub I think.

Got a photo of the end of the cable coming out of the monitor to refresh my memory?

Or the model number off the back of the monitor even?

edit.... Does the connector look like this?

0SNXH.gif

If it does you need one of these if you want to use a VGA monitor:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320962354633

9i7Qv.jpg