Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Does anybody know what the price of crude is doing at the moment? Seems that pez and diz have stalled at the ridiculous level brought on by the "OMG for heaven's sake whatever you do don't go out and panic buy..." debacle. Not that this in in any way surprising, of course.

A slightly reduced $118.06 per barrel of Brent Crude

http://www.oil-price.net/

An insurance question (sorry).

I also note that the car has to be garaged at home between 10pm and 6am as any damage or theft during these hours if the car isn't garaged isn't covered...

That looks to me to be wholly unreasonable*, even assuming you have a garage you can get a car in! Suppose you had to start work 25 miles away at 5am (as I've done in the past)? That would, according to the terms you quote, make your entire commute illegal. So you can't go to work to earn money to pay the ridiculous premium... yeah well done, insurer. Bullet/foot interface there. Point out the stupidity of the clause and demand a new document without it. If they won't play, shop around.

*Life has proved to me many times that what I may think reasonable, or unreasonable, is often precisely opposite to what the "powers-that-be" or general public (delete as applicable) deem to be the case. So good luck.

Yes I know I'm talking about Protons again - but what do you think about the Gen 2 Ecologic?

I think that you need to stop asking "What do you think?"-type questions about Protons and be more specific about the information you're looking for (i.e. are Gen 2 Ecologic Protons reliable, what's their build quality like, are they nice to drive, how high are residuals likely to be, etc.) otherwise people will just write you off as a troll and ignore you.

Yes I know I'm talking about Protons again - but what do you think about the Gen 2 Ecologic?

I think that you need to stop asking "What do you think?"-type questions about Protons and be more specific about the information you're looking for (i.e. are Gen 2 Ecologic Protons reliable, what's their build quality like, are they nice to drive, how high are residuals likely to be, etc.) otherwise people will just write you off as a troll and ignore you.

Well what I mean is what do you think about there looks.

I'm not sure why there's so much vitriol for old 'YugoLada', he strikes me as utterly harmless.

Proton Gen-2? They look quite neat but I have no idea about them. If MG-Rover had survived they might have been a Rover 45 replacement.

Yes I'm good - its just a mistake I made with the whole Proton thing. I really like the Gen 2 :D

I'm not sure why there's so much vitriol for old 'YugoLada', he strikes me as utterly harmless.

Proton Gen-2? They look quite neat but I have no idea about them. If MG-Rover had survived they might have been a Rover 45 replacement.

Irritating but harmless.

I'd have a Gen2 Persona, the Gen2 itself just doesn't look right. In saying that I never liked the old Saga/Iswara Aeroback either.

If I was pushed into taking a newish Proton, a second hand Impian. Or a diesel Persona.

Irritating but harmless.

I'd have a Gen2 Persona, the Gen2 itself just doesn't look right. In saying that I never liked the old Saga/Iswara Aeroback either.

If I was pushed into taking a newish Proton, a second hand Impian. Or a diesel Persona.

I really like your Lynx do you still have it?

It's away to a Proton Colony in Yorkshire with a nice bloke who owns a similar beige example. I just couldn't get on with it and the fact I am getting better fuel economy with the ex Pete M Vauxhall Senator.

It's away to a Proton Colony in Yorkshire with a nice bloke who owns a similar beige example. I just couldn't get on with it and the fact I am getting better fuel economy with the ex Pete M Vauxhall Senator.

Ok thanks for letting me know :D

The proton won't have a headgasket eating engine,and if you need anything major spares wise such as control units etc,you will have a easier ride with the Proton,than the MG/Rover which is limited to a race to the breakers,and hope whats there hasn't had the vultures at it already !!

As it happens,I like both cars,but the MG interior is more to my liking

Harmless but strange. I just added him to my 'blocked' list, seems easier that way.

i am thinking of putting alloys on my connect van, but read on a ford forum that because they are not classed as van wheels they can make your insurance null and void... is this the case? though ford do sell vans with alloys on them so how come it doesn't apply to those vans?

i was going to use the alloys from the mongdeo but thats when i was told the above, because they are "car wheels" it could cancel my insurance :shock:

can't say i have ever heard of that happening before.

Harmless but strange. I just added him to my 'blocked' list, seems easier that way.

Why? I'm really sorry I've been annoying can you please give me a chance!

i am thinking of putting alloys on my connect van, but read on a ford forum that because they are not classed as van wheels they can make your insurance null and void... is this the case? though ford do sell vans with alloys on them so how come it doesn't apply to those vans?

i was going to use the alloys from the mongdeo but thats when i was told the above, because they are "car wheels" it could cancel my insurance :shock:

can't say i have ever heard of that happening before.

I know you can buy van-specific tyres which are rated to carry more weight than the same size car ones, but I'd be surprised if fitting alloys invalidates your insurance (providing, of course, you tell them about the "modification")

Car pwoblem

Got two slow flats, both LHS. Can't find any nails in the front - haven't looked at the back yet. Been only going down for the past month or so, I have to go to the local air station every 1-2 weeks for a top-up. Newish Michelin Energys and I don't kerb the car or mong around in it, so I guess it's just one of those poorly fitted valve etc type slow leaks, grrr.

Does anybody know of any Holts-radweld type product, but for tyres, that you can recommend? Or am I just fucked?

Car pwoblem

Got two slow flats, both LHS. Can't find any nails in the front - haven't looked at the back yet. Been only going down for the past month or so, I have to go to the local air station every 1-2 weeks for a top-up. Newish Michelin Energys and I don't kerb the car or mong around in it, so I guess it's just one of those poorly fitted valve etc type slow leaks, grrr.

Does anybody know of any Holts-radweld type product, but for tyres, that you can recommend? Or am I just fucked?

There are various different brands of tyre sealant on the market, but if you have alloy wheels there's a good chance that the bead isn't sealing properly, as KruJoe says. Or, as you say, you have leaking valves. If I were you I'd have the tyres re-seated & the valves checked, it'll cost less than the tyre sealant...!

Car pwoblem

I used some of the "tyre-weld" on a couple of slow punctures a while ago, did the trick and the tyres never lost air again. I thought it was great. Since then I've tried it on a couple of other tyres that lost air slowly and it made no difference, I ended up taking them for the tyre to be re-fitted ... They took the tyre off the rim, scraped the rim, replaced the valve, I think I paid £10 for that. A can of tyre weld is usually £7ish, although sometimes half price in supermarkets, its worth £3-4.

My conclusion ... 50/50 on tyre-weld, but I usually carry a can with me (as well as spare wheel/tyre)