Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

5 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

How much does it cost to place a b.s advert against how many they need to sell every month.... 

According to the missus who is a publisher they will be paying £150-£300 a month for a full page ad if they run it every month (maybe cheaper, only the mags owner will know) so there must be a lot of gullible people out there still.

14 hours ago, Jazoli said:

According to the missus who is a publisher they will be paying £150-£300 a month for a full page ad if they run it every month (maybe cheaper, only the mags owner will know) so there must be a lot of gullible people out there still.

As they are selling something that must cost about a quid to make for £30, I suppose they only need about a dozen gullible punters each month.

Hello! I've been sent this picture. A long shot; what was this?  
IMG-20210328-WA0007.thumb.jpg.58ceba4dc2126d13b0a677e55d3163fd.jpg
IMG-20210328-WA0008.thumb.jpg.b1f1954fd4da504fb70e931ab1697f09.jpg
It's a moped/scooter for sure, that engine is an automatic 4-stroke so not anything too old.

The drum brake on the front and funky fork are a bit puzzling, I think it's just a chinese moped of the "looks a bit like a Lambretta if you are drunk and squinting" type. AJS Modena or a Lexmoto Milano are the sort of thing but they all look to have disc brakes on the front.

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one still read this thread? No? Probably a good thing...

How much do we reckon a slightly scruffy but solid manual E28 520i with an MOT is worth? I literally have no idea as only E28s in good condition ever seems for sale at the moment. Asking for a friend like.

(When I haven't been busy working, I've spent every spare moment in the last week looking at mini adverts and getting itchy to pull the trigger at times. Budget for that is determined by what the Bimmer is worth. Yes I know there is a good chance I'll regret changing and I'm a massive idiot.)

41 minutes ago, SiC said:

How much do we reckon a slightly scruffy but solid manual E28 520i with an MOT is worth? I literally have no idea as only E28s in good condition ever seems for sale at the moment. Asking for a friend like.

(When I haven't been busy working, I've spent every spare moment in the last week looking at mini adverts and getting itchy to pull the trigger at times. Budget for that is determined by what the Bimmer is worth. Yes I know there is a good chance I'll regret changing and I'm a massive idiot.)

Is there a bogof offer available? 😁

3 hours ago, SiC said:

In my experience you take the price you paid for it, then deduct the amount you have spent and then start with a figure below that, expecting to be knocked even lower.

But then I'm a fool who aways loses money on cars.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2021 at 13:05, SiC said:

How many times does one have to search for SQA to find this.

If I made a car port which was externally 6.60m long and 3m wide, will that be adequate for a 305 and a TED20? Or will it feel cramped?

Also, do I have legal considerations having a lean-to car port attached to the neighbours garage, when the neighbour is selling up? Is the best time to build it between the survey and completion? 

1 hour ago, loserone said:

If I made a car port which was externally 6.60m long and 3m wide, will that be adequate for a 305 and a TED20? Or will it feel cramped?

I had a garage some time ago which was almost exactly that size.  It was fine for one car, working all around it, and space for a bench etc. at the end.  You couldn't get two vehicles into it.

Legal considerations - Yes, but IMO as long as you agree what you are doing with the neighbour you should be fine, and they should include the agreement in their replies to enquiries pre-contract so that the buyer is aware of it.

• 1 month later...

What gauge wire should I use to wire in new oil pressure/ boost/ voltage dash gauges?

I have some fairly chunky stuff kicking around (I think 1.5mm, 21 amp), but GCSE physics is ringing a V=IR bell in my brain, and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

It will use pickups from the fuse board and be run about a meter behind the dash.

I bloody hate auto electrics.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 4:16 PM, Coprolalia said:

What gauge wire should I use to wire in new oil pressure/ boost/ voltage dash gauges?

I have some fairly chunky stuff kicking around (I think 1.5mm, 21 amp), but GCSE physics is ringing a V=IR bell in my brain, and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

It will use pickups from the fuse board and be run about a meter behind the dash.

I bloody hate auto electrics.

On the assumption that you're only running the current needed to drive the gauge, the very smallest automotive stranded cable will do.  Most gauges will be not-very-many mA for full-scale-deflection, so you're not looking at any actual current here.

As a very rough rule-of-thumb, when working with lower power cables, 1.0mm2 will carry 10A.  So your 1.5mm2 cable will carry 15A.  Given that you (genuinely) need likely no more than 100mA to drive a gauge, 0.01mm2 would likely be fine.  You can't get cable that small, so anything you have will be over-specified.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:45 AM, Talbot said:

On the assumption that you're only running the current needed to drive the gauge, the very smallest automotive stranded cable will do.  Most gauges will be not-very-many mA for full-scale-deflection, so you're not looking at any actual current here.

As a very rough rule-of-thumb, when working with lower power cables, 1.0mm2 will carry 10A.  So your 1.5mm2 cable will carry 15A.  Given that you (genuinely) need likely no more than 100mA to drive a gauge, 0.01mm2 would likely be fine.  You can't get cable that small, so anything you have will be over-specified.

Amazing, thank you so much @Talbot

• 4 weeks later...

Not really a question, just an update since you guys gave me lots of help last year. Of course one of the inner rear wheel arches has gone through on the Focus. Aw poo. The other side was better and I thought I was catching it in time with the Waxoyl. Nowhere near as bad as some I've seen online but it has some small holes. I'll get someone to have a look at how much work it'll be but I feel like I might be needing to learn to weld...

I could just buy another but where's the fun in that? ;) Still have to inspect more of the back end which is hopefully just a bunch of surface rust but a lot of the rest looks fairly good. The neighbours must think I'm trying to play a tune as the hammer goes tap tap tap. And if I can get past these bits I think there's a lot of good still there. Maybe.

37 minutes ago, andy29 said:

Not really a question, just an update since you guys gave me lots of help last year. Of course one of the inner rear wheel arches has gone through on the Focus. Aw poo. The other side was better and I thought I was catching it in time with the Waxoyl. Nowhere near as bad as some I've seen online but it has some small holes. I'll get someone to have a look at how much work it'll be but I feel like I might be needing to learn to weld...

I could just buy another but where's the fun in that? ;) Still have to inspect more of the back end which is hopefully just a bunch of surface rust but a lot of the rest looks fairly good. The neighbours must think I'm trying to play a tune as the hammer goes tap tap tap. And if I can get past these bits I think there's a lot of good still there. Maybe.

think theyre all shot under those arch liners unless its been in a museum all its life...what are you sills like , i spent yesterday roaring off all the sealant on ours

another spot to check is bottom of front wings, most likely full of salty mud sinse its first winter out 

12 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

think theyre all shot under those arch liners unless its been in a museum all its life...what are you sills like , i spent yesterday roaring off all the sealant on ours

another spot to check is bottom of front wings, most likely full of salty mud sinse its first winter out 

Yeah that's another thing I thought about buying a replacement, "just let me jack up the back end and and pull off your wheels and liners" 😀

Yep one of mine was full of mud behind one of the front liners, but somehow just about on the right side of disappearing. The other one just had a slug living behind it. But yeah most of the sills are still solid, tiny hole on one which will need doing at some point, surface rust on the other which I'll clean and seal. I hate to think what's going on inside them. The ends of them inside the arches are going but I think I've caught them in time too.

The stonechip they put on some sill welding a couple of years ago looks like it might be encouraging rust behind it but at least I'm onto it now.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Somewhere on here there's a thread about footwear - and I was hoping to scratch the collective beard on a new pair of boots.  I've searched via THE GOOGLE but can't remember for the life of me what the thread was called.

Any help appreciated!

Are you not thinking of the not made in china thread on the other place, Monty?  

• 2 months later...

Well the old Focus estate is off... to get it's back inner wheel arches welded up.

How do I best protect it from mishaps like the poor toasted one I saw on here? I mean the boot is bare, lower rear trim and rear seats are out. Carpet is stuck down half way back and won't really pull away much. No real idea how far the sparks can fly. Welder does lots of work on cars so shouldn't they have something to cover up carpet and bits?

And that's before I lose sleep worrying about the ECU getting zapped

18 minutes ago, andy29 said:

Well the old Focus estate is off... to get it's back inner wheel arches welded up.

How do I best protect it from mishaps like the poor toasted one I saw on here? I mean the boot is bare, lower rear trim and rear seats are out. Carpet is stuck down half way back and won't really pull away much. No real idea how far the sparks can fly. Welder does lots of work on cars so shouldn't they have something to cover up carpet and bits?

And that's before I lose sleep worrying about the ECU getting zapped

the worker needs to check for fires often , stuff will catch fire but its fine when you spot it and put it out