Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Is this the place to ask about Honda lawnmower motors ?

Honda Izy been faithful and hardworking for the past 14 or so years, but this evening it without forewarning ..that I might have noticed,  it didn't want to start easily nor run steady. I thought Ia bit of something might be blocking the fuel line (again !)  until 20 minutes into the harvest of God's green lawns outgrown,  it spued a spray of oil out of the exhaust, covering the whole of the top and deck of the machine.  I guess that's a ring broken or a hole, but it still runs.

Bottom line is it worth just throwing away and buying another used one, or is there someone giving pistons and barrels away for free ?    

I'm thinking I might know the answer to this one, particularly as me old mojo has been below the horizon for the past six months and doesn't look like things are getting any boost.   

So new bottom line.. Does anyone want it ?   Ip6 near Ipswich.   NB. it measures 17" across under deck.

p.s. Sorted thanks

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My heated rear window only works on alternate strips. 

IMG_20191201_145554.thumb.jpg.700b16740465a71dcadb9fa3f6b95c67.jpg

If I was to run some copper tape, like you use for model railways or dolls houses, along the edge of the strips, thus joining the working ones to the non working ones would it, 

a) restore the non working strips

b) short out the whole system setting fire to the car within seconds. 

Or c) have no effect whatsoever. 

33 minutes ago, Yoss said:

My heated rear window only works on alternate strips. 

IMG_20191201_145554.thumb.jpg.700b16740465a71dcadb9fa3f6b95c67.jpg

If I was to run some copper tape, like you use for model railways or dolls houses, along the edge of the strips, thus joining the working ones to the non working ones would it, 

id say it may work (tho this is legally non binding!)

my only concern is how much current does each strip draw, and can copper tape handle that load

20 hours ago, Yoss said:

Use a multimeter to find the break point in each interrupted wire, then paint it with silver ink. Available also in pen form, not sure if the pen will "write" on glass.

Dilemma:

Multipla mot booked in for Tuesday. Handbrake is being a bit of twat and binding on one side. Replaced caliper. Still binding slightly and properly need to adjust the balance of the cable as the other side comes on way before the problem side. Also, the sodding airbag light is on. Tried to clear with MultiScan Ecu and red jumper cable but intermittent low voltage on driver and passenger side airbags wont clear.

Any ideas how to proceed on the airbag issue?

Finally I've been offered a £500 Cat D repaired '09 Astra 1.9cdti 150 3 door with 150k miles. Will have 12m mot after the weekend.

You can see what I'm thinking, park the Multipla and run the dizAstra for 12m and wait for the Fiat to fix itself.

What you lot reckon?

I've used that Granville stuff on a Volvo 340 and it worked ok. Has a little cardboard template you hold against the glass to get a reasonable line on so it doesn't look like you just smeared the stuff around. Bit dull finding the breaks though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Austat said:

How does the ranking system on AS work? My goal is to get to "Talbot Matra Rancho towing a Talbot Tagora" one day.

ahh this reminds me of when I first found the forum, and I thought at first that the mods gave users special/funny rank titles based on their posts or something their known for etc :) 

I eventually figured out that once you gain enough posts (500 IIRC) you unlock the ability to edit your "user title" you don't even have to put "Rank:" in there, but I did to keep the illusion going, and clearly it seems to have worked! :mrgreen:

otherwise your user title does just change as you hit certain post milestones, but I dont actually know where they top out at! LOL

Is it necessary to check new spark plug gaps for a 2008 car? Common wisdom seems to be that the right plugs should come pre-gapped, but every plug suggested for my car on online shiops seems to have a different gap from 0.8-1.35mm and there is conflicting workshop manual data online. Should I just go with whatever my old plugs have or trust whatever my local motorfactor or dealer gives me? I'm only changing them because as far as I know they're 85k miles and 11 years old, and I'm hoping it might improve MPG.

Insurance: to claim or not to claim?

A driver rear-ended my car while we (me and Mrs Prote) were stationary waiting to pull onto a roundabout  - it was a steady queue and I'd reached the roundabout.

Driver behind admitted she'd stalled and it lurched forward and we took pics, swapped contact details, etc. I told her she was driving too close which she agreed. She indicated we could settle cash. So, I got a smart repair quote for knocking out dent, filler, paint and new badges as the old badges would have to come off for spraying. The repair is £249 as she bent the swage line below the numberplate so isn't a simple pop out.

She's now saying she didn't think she damaged my car and it was already damaged, AND claims I deliberately stopped sharply (I didn't!) to make her hit me. She's also invented two witnesses who weren't there, (e.g. nobody stopped and the traffic whizzed past continually) saying they saw me brake check her! And also saying 'that's what bumpers are for' and that her car couldn't hit me above my bumper. My car was heavily laden and I assume my old car has a much lower ride height anyway than her 2017 Kuga. We have all this on WhatsApp messages.

WTF!!?

My car is low value (2001 Xsara Pigasshole with 76k) so I don't where claiming will get me financially, but I feel like punting in a claim just to see if I she'll lie on paper.

I have had protected no claims for donkey's years so premiums might not be too badly affected next year, and I only buy old cars anyway.

Wondered whether I should let it go, or notify my insurer, and see where it gets me?

Wondered what y'all think? Just push it through to see what happens?

Hmmmmm.....?

Just reply that as it's a legal requirement under the road traffic act to report an accident, does she have the police reports otherwise you'll be expecting her to pay for the damage and your solicitors fees (assuming you did / can bluff that you did report it).

You are probably contractually obliged to report this road accident to your insurer, which would turn into a claim. Time to check the small print and then have a chat with your insusrer.