Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

3 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

Yes hpi if you are worried about it being written off.....I think they still print on the front of the logbook that the car has been "substantially repaired" - they may have reworded the official bump.

When a car pops up on ebay with a 'lost' logbook it does send the alarm bells off....a quick reg to 83600 (which costs £3) helps....

They only print that on the logbook for C (now S) not D/N. 

Always worth a check, so a good shout. 

On 6/30/2019 at 7:56 AM, loserone said:

Buying a shit car with a 'lost' V5.  Any specific precautions?

Depends who it is and where you are buying it from. Someone round the corner who you know and it’s cheap - you might be alright. You just have to judge it. 

A lot of the time on cheap cars they’ve only got the slip as they are trading cars on the side. I don’t buy all that bollocks about ‘bought this car for the wife and she doesn’t like it’. No you’ve bought a nail and you’ve had a week with it and realised it’s a bag of shit and you want to move it on. 

The Saab 93 has developed something unusual - if i have my foot on the brake/clutch while stationary and move the wheel back and forth, I can feel the pedal box flexing and moving.

Am I right in thinking it's a cracked bulkhead?  It's a fairly common thing on these (They even sell repair patches for it on ebay), and what does it actually mean?  Is it a firey ball of death just waiting to happen?  Any rough ideas about cost would be awesome too, at the moment I'm on the fence on whether to save it.  It's got a full MOT on it, which is just bloody typical.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:27 AM, loserone said:

Thankfully this chap still had his New Keepers Slip filled in from 6 years ago, so fairly sure it wasn't a trader.

What's the problem with buying from a trader anyway?

An actual trader will have the V5 because they’ll be filling out the paperwork correctly (yellow slip, retain full V5, fill out with new keeper (ie you) details)

A dodgy pikey type trying to avoid detection will have put a fake name and address on the V5 when they bought it from a private punter for £50 “scraps real low m8”, run about in it uninsured / untaxed for a bit whilst the databases update and then punt it “only got the green slip m93” 

any facebook market place sniffers on here?

i keep trying to search for cars and local car related toot ..seems potluck whats shown , sometimes the ad will say posted an hour ago , another time it brings up stuff posted a week ago

any tips on getting the most accurate new postings instead of a mixed bag?

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:33 PM, chatsharris said:

The Saab 93 has developed something unusual - if i have my foot on the brake/clutch while stationary and move the wheel back and forth, I can feel the pedal box flexing and moving.

Am I right in thinking it's a cracked bulkhead?  It's a fairly common thing on these (They even sell repair patches for it on ebay), and what does it actually mean?  Is it a firey ball of death just waiting to happen?  Any rough ideas about cost would be awesome too, at the moment I'm on the fence on whether to save it.  It's got a full MOT on it, which is just bloody typical.

If you leave it I should think it would be unsafe to drive,they are a bit of a pig to repair,servo off etc.,if you get it repaired you can get a brace kit to stop it happening again and improve handling.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:24 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

Today i saw a KTM motorbike (not sure of the model) with the registration CC7.

Checked what model it was on DVLA website, which shows CC7 to be on a Caterham 7.

So, which vehicle should it be on then?

the website is not super speedy to update

Car related as there's one on it.
My dad has had this quite a long time, and has finally decided he wants to get rid.
It's not pristine, but it is old (pre 20's possibly) heavy and big.
Thing is, we haven't got a clue what to do with it.

Not sure he fancies dealing with eBay pond life, so that leaves getting it appraised by a dealer?

Thanks.9a291d8110329389c4665f09b30c0b9f.jpg

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Is £150 a reasonable price to expect to pay for a NOS wing, delivered, for the 305? 

I can't afford it, but I haven't found any (that won't require bending back into shape and some rust repairs) for that side other than this one.

Just seems a bit mad given the cost of the car, but then this is the nature of old cars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...