Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

On 6/18/2019 at 11:50 PM, loserone said:

Which threads are good ones to get stuck into getting my head around tidying the rot on Mrs L1's 305?

Sweatpeas mr2 or grumpy northerner Corsair on retrorides. I’ve recently read both and now have a welder on the Christmas list!

lots of well explained repair and panel making stuff in both

52 minutes ago, Mally said:

But when your prep is not up to the standard required by the spray man, 

From experience, if you have it done, you may crash, or someone will scratch it within 3 months.

And it’s guaranteed to not be good enough for them. Awkward sods, all of them.

And it will definitely be a stress magnet.

if you can prep it yourself chances are you could paint it too,,,the hardest bit is good prep 

dont read too much into what you see on dealer wheelers , its all made up and so are the prices...take a diy prep'd job to any decent painter they will laugh at it and charge you more to put it right , and any future issues will all be cus of your prep guv   

It’s the cost of removing bits like the wing mirrors, degreasing the thing to remove any silicates, repairing any damage like parking knocks, flatting it back all over properly, masking it all up. All this is before you’ve picked up the gun. Once you think about it you can see why it’s so expensive. It’s also no guarantee it won’t break out in scabs in 18 months time. Whatever anyone tells you the paint finish never lasts like the factory paint either.

I’d also want to see some examples of their previous work as well. 

3 hours ago, Eddie Honda said:

The excitement is too much so have washed and dressed to go out side to give it a try!

6:28 am - 3 bars on continually, I will now wait 2 hours to see if it resets.

9:30 am - Radio code now excepted but not a sound. It could be because our forum AX expert has removed both speakers but I thought it was only one. This is pending the delivery of a pair of brand new speakers ordered Tuesday. Or it could be the set is buggered and why nobody bothered with the code.

12 hours ago, Eddie Honda said:

Accepted? So the display looks like it's doing something? ?

New speakers fitted and silence!

We have slung in an old Sony head unit I had laying about and beautiful music!

Conclusion is the Blaupunk Boston is broken.

Thanks for your help checking it out.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:56 AM, loserone said:

Buying a shit car with a 'lost' V5.  Any specific precautions?

Personally I wouldn't, but I'm very risk averse. If you are thinking of it, some of the obvious would be if the seller has any paperwork at all to go with the car (old receipts preferably with their name and address, mots, etc) How long do they claim to have owned it, is it worth enough to Hpi? 

Whatever happened about that MINI on here where someone came out of the woodwork to claim it had been sold without consent?

As long as you’re sure the person selling it has legal title you’re fine - apart from the fact the tax rules make it a PITA because you can’t tax it and when you finally get a V62 processed you get told off for not having tax. 

Yes hpi if you are worried about it being written off.....I think they still print on the front of the logbook that the car has been "substantially repaired" - they may have reworded the official bump.

When a car pops up on ebay with a 'lost' logbook it does send the alarm bells off....a quick reg to 83600 (which costs £3) helps....