Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

This may be a very stupid question but I want to double check things.

I got a replacement water pump for the Corolla. The book of much stupidness from Uncle Haynes says fit the pump with 3Bond 1282B, torque up and let set for 2 hours before filling up.

The pump is fitted with a rubber o-ring seal. The book doesn't mention the pump being fitted with any seal or gaskets, has no photos of this procedure and as I'm more a learn through pictures/learn through doing than learn through words type of guy I'm struggling to picture it.

Do I need the sealant as well as the supplied seal, or am I just being a dumbass?

Faer Lady-C and I are due to depart on our holiday (Monday 29/4 in case you wanted to know) and I am considering purchasing Breakdown cover, what a pessimist.

I inputted my details into Money Supermarket and the result of that brought forward the offerings of Breakdown Assist.

I have never heard of these folk before but am drawn to their price (£45.99 for national recovery).

Have any fellow shiters had experience of this bunch?

Shall I expect to “get what I pay for “?

Could any of you venerable souls recommend a Breakdown Recovery service provider that you would happily sit in your car on a foggy hard shoulder and wait for?

Thank you all immensely.

P.S. Please forgive me if there’s already a (multitude of) thread posing this very question, a brief sift failed to unearth one. Ta again.

Are they one of those companies where you pay up front for recovery and then claim back off them so that you are not waiting hours for the only AA/RAC* other services are available van within 50 miles to reach you as they send a local independent recovery crew?

GEM do this for a reasonable price I believe although I haven't used them for a few years.

Interstate car transport &/or transatlantic Shipping

Anyone with (relatively recent) experience, recommendations, contacts ?

I want to get a non-runner car (with a big roof rack) from a Rebel State / mid north America to hereabouts in Blighty

. . . cheaply as poss

Thanks,

Bfg

RoRo shipping is probably out as it is normally DoDo (drive on off) simplest way would be to container it from current location to where you want to receive it. I can probably find out interstate transport contacts once home but the logistics of transferring either into a container at the port or pushing it onto a RoRo would be amusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In layman's terms (trust me, have spent years trying and failing to make sense of it) reference towing and this 'MAM' nonsense, I have a question:

Can a 1997 Galaxy TDi pull a (car transporter) trailer weighing just under a tonne (950kgs was mentioned) AND a car on top? Just thinking something like even a Mondeo would make the total towed to close to 2 tons, surely that can't be legal?

Cheers.

12 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Can a 1997 Galaxy TDi pull a (car transporter) trailer weighing just under a tonne (950kgs was mentioned) AND a car on top?

Doubt it unless the car is sub 500kg.

Gross Train Weight is 4000kg. Galaxy fully loaded about 2500kg. Even if piloting the Galaxy solo running on empty, the numbers are against you.

2 minutes ago, Eddie Honda said:

Doubt it unless the car is sub 500kg.

Gross Train Weight is 4000kg. Galaxy fully loaded about 2500kg. Even if piloting the Galaxy solo running on empty, the numbers are against you.

so what your saying is Cav should get an Invacar? :)

• 5 weeks later...

My signum is now deciding not to start. I get a number of lights on the dashboard but not the immobiliser one. Key just not making starter do anything. Start checked, it works fine. Is this an Immobiliser / Module CIM? problem that's a pain to fix?

• 2 weeks later...

My work van, a 2015 custom limited remapped. I was stuck in traffic yesterday morning at a roundabout after a fast blast on the A19. I blasted it away on the roundabout and left a large cloud of blue smoke behind me. I've never noticed it before and I've tried a few times to get it to do it again with no result. Could it just be the dpf regen? or is it something more sinister to look forward to?

It's just about to turn 30k miles wise and has full history.

Any sprayers on here? 

How much to respray a 75?  Never had a car painted before but at some point my 75 will need doing as its faded badly in places. No rust, panels are straight no dents etc..

What sort of money would I be looking at out of interest to prep and paint  (non metallic).  Obviously not a bare shell strip down, I mean just the outer skin.

I genuinely have no idea,  £1k or £4k or anywhere in between?