Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

A MOT conversation at work today with a mate who drives a Nissan vanette.

If you have a MOT exempt car that you decide to put in for a MOT,and it fails are you legally obliged to repair and re-MOT.

Morally if you have a correct moral compass then yes,but legally?

The breaker bar trick works a treat, but like I say, you must visualise it carefully before commencing or you will feel a tit.  (Not in a good way)

With the MOT exempt car, even if you don't put it in for an MOT and there's something that makes it unroadworthy you are obliged to repair it, else you risk getting in the shit if the police spot it, or really, really in the shit if it causes an accident.  This hero killed 4 of his own kids and got 2 years inside for his trouble.

The breaker bar trick works a treat, but like I say, you must visualise it carefully before commencing or you will feel a tit. (Not in a good way)

With the MOT exempt car, even if you don't put it in for an MOT and there's something that makes it unroadworthy you are obliged to repair it, else you risk getting in the shit if the police spot it, or really, really in the shit if it causes an accident. This hero killed 4 of his own kids and got 2 years inside for his trouble.

Even MOT exempt you will get into the shit if something that causes it to be unroadworthy and you have a serious accident. Not needing an MOT doesn't mean it is allowed to be unroadworthy!

Just packed the Multipla with stuff for the tip and it's completely died on me. No lights, no cranking, nothing. It clicked when I turned the key initially, and had lights on on the dashboard.

Now it just won't do anything. Help?! Surely it can't be the battery?

Edit, it was the battery. Wtf.

Was something left on to flatten it?  That was a new battery less than a year ago which I stole from the Volvo to make sure you had a good one, as the one which came with the Multipla struggled to start it on icy mornings.  Unless the issue with both batteries is that the Multipla is draining them in some way when stood.

Was something left on to flatten it? That was a new battery less than a year ago which I stole from the Volvo to make sure you had a good one, as the one which came with the Multipla struggled to start it on icy mornings. Unless the issue with both batteries is that the Multipla is draining them in some way when stood.

I left the key in for about 15 mins, then turned it once, opened the windows and sunroof(s) and it wouldn't start.

Wonder if I scrambled the immobiliser somehow. It started with a very brief jump and has been fine since so....

There is plenty of stuff that isn't even covered in the MOT, but is covered by construction & use regulations that'll land you in the shit if it's not right.  Like, errr, errr - mudguards, I think, and probably stuff like being overly wide or having gigantic overhangs.  I'm sure an expert will be along in a bit to set us right.

05 plate Volvo XC90. CD player not working which is also affecting parking sensors, according to seller.  Fuse checked and all OK. Anyone know anything about this, please. Have just pm'd Wingz about his XC90 to see if it's still available, the above one is much closer to home and the same price.

Many thanks for any advice in advance.

05 plate Volvo XC90. CD player not working which is also affecting parking sensors, according to seller.  Fuse checked and all OK. Anyone know anything about this, please. Have just pm'd Wingz about his XC90 to see if it's still available, the above one is much closer to home and the same price.

Many thanks for any advice in advance.

Are the parking sensors linked to one of those displays on the stereo on those? And other than not having parking sensors does it affect it any other way? If it’s a deal breaker you can buy parking sensor kits for pennies on eBay.

On the new MOT categories what would anyone expect a front broken coil spring to be - Major or Dangerous?

There are 2 other known potential failures for this car. Firstly the headlights are slightly cloudy, I don’t think they are bad enough to fail, but I have a cleaning kit, so might give them a quick polish before the MOT.

The second one is some idiot was jacking up the car to see what the knocking (broken spring) and put the jack in the wrong place and there is now a hole in the bottom of the wing, and it’s a bit flaky at the bottom of the wing anyway - I assume this will be a fail and taping over the edges won’t be enough? I will probably get a new wing, but

Won’t get one before the MOT at 17:00 this evening!

Am I being ripped off? Took my car for an MOT and it failed. Coil spring I knew about so fine, then on a tyre with exposed cords right on the very inside edge and then also Nearside service brake excessively binding. Also MIL, but that should reset for a while.

In terms of cost the tyre price is my preferred tyre and within a £ or 2 of the best price - I need at

least 1 before I can drive the car anyway as it was a dangerous fail. The coil spring is supplied and fitted for £80 - good price the part (same make) would cost £65. However the brake are what concern me, they have quoted £240 for

Discs and pads - on the current Eurocarparts discount I can get the same discs and pads for

£85 - £155 labour seems a bit excessive. My other concern is that only 11,000 miles ago the discs, pads and the Caliper on the binding side were replaced.

I’m tempted to just get the tyres and spring done and either attempt to do discs and pads myself or get an alternative quote.