Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Got some wood. Will need to put a few bits together to get the right height - screws or nails?

Depends on how it's going together really but if you've got a decent cordless drill then it's probably easier to use good quality screws than nails.

Edit Offcuts of fencepost would probably be really helpful if you can find them.

Depends whether you consider the tyre serious damaged or not. 

Can you see the cords? If so fail. If not you might pass iirc.

Not that I'd want to drive on them for any distance.

no sign of the cords but they are all fairly shagged - I'll be buying a new set soon enough but the test is next week and I'm a bit lean from the house move. they are on the mx5 so not in daily use, I'll stick it in and see what happens. it'll fail for sure if I fit the track wheels :) 

pass with advisory ? or piss off, you chancing get ?

IMG_8903.JPG

all four are in similar condition :(

Where are you based.

I have a set of mk1 mx5 daisies with almost new Pirelli tyres with a date code from too long ago in the shed. Just need air. You could borrow them

Merseyside.

Where are you based.

I have a set of mk1 mx5 daisies with almost new Pirelli tyres with a date code from too long ago in the shed. Just need air. You could borrow them

Merseyside.

falkirk is probably a bit far.

I don't see the problem.

Your axle stands are 28, you have 20. jack it up another 8 cms.

Yup, it's the angle - because I'm having to jack it right in the middle, it's going to hit the wall of the lock-up/tip-up if I jack much higher - also not very stable being a 3-wheeler and all. 

Looks like pass/advise to me unless there is more wrong than the pic shows. Where were you thinking of going for MoT?

I was going to take it to ak automotive down in rowlands gill, the car is a '93 euros roadster (import) but was registered as an mx5 on the docs - i've had trouble in the past with garages insisting on putting it through the full emissions test when it should have the basic test (as there is no match for the vin number in the system)

when I had this trouble last year, I borrowed a catalyst to fit just for the test.

the lads at ak build and race mx5s so know the cars inside out, and have a stash of parts on site if anything else crops up.

what would you test it as ?

reg number is L386LNF

Yup, it's the angle - because I'm having to jack it right in the middle, it's going to hit the wall of the lock-up/tip-up if I jack much higher - also not very stable being a 3-wheeler and all.

Put 8cm blocks under the wheels before you jack it up, then the stand will only be 20cm taller and the angle will be right as well as the car being higher up!

Put 8cm blocks under the wheels before you jack it up, then the stand will only be 20cm taller and the angle will be right as well as the car being higher up!

Nice idea! Thinking about this and what Mally said - of course - it's currently sitting on very flat and not round tyres - some new tyres with air in will raise it anyway! Doh!

Vitaras have always been strong money even when dead because of the baby olli movement buying them all to plug around fields in. It's a pita because I need a gearbox for the last roadgoing one!

God only knows why a 306 would be worth more though, scrap isn't even high.