Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

. . . although the traditional reward for such neglect would be a rod through the side of the block.

A Pinto would have wrecked it's cam. Imagine one going 40k miles between oil-changes? Or a 3.5V8 Rover? I think not. The only thing which might have saved a 70s engine would have been oil-leaks and regularly topping up with fresh. A slant Vauxhall 2.3 would have been quite safe.

post-4771-0-62730400-1551538816_thumb.jpg

My e60 headlights need work - I previously wet sanded them which only improved matters slightly.

The clear covers are glued on - they can be removed but it is not recommended.

Has anybody used a good polishing kit? Tried t cut and autosol but they were not much use.

Guest Conan

Random idea just came up and now I'm looking to make it a reality.

Do 5.5Jx15 steel wheels fits 195/50R15 tyres? I do know that they're okay on alloys, but some have said that it's a no-no on steelies. I personally think that it's a load of bull. But better be sure.

Ideally I'd need a 6J or 6.5Jx15, but those with PCD 4x100 is impossible to find somehow. And I definitely won't be looking for widen steelies, that's way too much effort.

I've got exactly that size of tyre on Bini steelies which I believe are 15x5j, used on the mx5 track car

you might get a wider steely of a vw - not sure which model, might be a corrado ?

Guest Conan

I've got exactly that size of tyre on Bini steelies which I believe are 15x5j, used on the mx5 track car

you might get a wider steely of a vw - not sure which model, might be a corrado ?

VW steelies not easily accessible, or cheap. But if 195 on even 5 inches is fine I'll just go with that.

Now I have to find out if it's going to clear the brakes.

Random idea just came up and now I'm looking to make it a reality.

Do 5.5Jx15 steel wheels fits 195/50R15 tyres? I do know that they're okay on alloys, but some have said that it's a no-no on steelies. I personally think that it's a load of bull. But better be sure.

Ideally I'd need a 6J or 6.5Jx15, but those with PCD 4x100 is impossible to find somehow. And I definitely won't be looking for widen steelies, that's way too much effort.

I fitted 205s on my 5.5 alloys on my Capri years ago, bloody tight fit but worked ok.

Got some wood. Will need to put a few bits together to get the right height - screws or nails?

Depends on how it's going together really but if you've got a decent cordless drill then it's probably easier to use good quality screws than nails.

Edit Offcuts of fencepost would probably be really helpful if you can find them.