Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

My MGF has a plethora of strange and seemingly unrelated electrical gremlins. It's a 1999 MK1 model.

• Foglights not working, no light on switch.
  • One tail light not working.
  • Instrument backlighting not working
  • Horn not working, can hear relay clicking. 
  • Reverse lights not working.

I have checked the obvious, bulbs, fuses and cleaned up obvious earth points. I believe the MK2 and MG TF had a troublesome body control module, but I can't really find out online what the equivalent was for a MK1. Can anyone suggest a starting point?

My MGF has a plethora of strange and seemingly unrelated electrical gremlins. It's a 1999 MK1 model.

• Foglights not working, no light on switch.
  • One tail light not working.
  • Instrument backlighting not working
  • Horn not working, can hear relay clicking. 
  • Reverse lights not working.
I have checked the obvious, bulbs, fuses and cleaned up obvious earth points. I believe the MK2 and MG TF had a troublesome body control module, but I can't really find out online what the equivalent was for a MK1. Can anyone suggest a starting point?
This is the TF electrickery bits, think it's the same as the f.

MG-TF-Electrical-Circuit-Diagrams.pdf

Not sure whereabouts you are in the country but I’ve just spoke to my wholesalers...apparently they’re not importing any at the moment but she’s got two left in the warehouse.

They come out at just under £49 with the vat if you get stuck.

I'm in Stafford, where are you?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Thought about it ... then unthought it , bottled it and bought 2 secondhand ones already on the frame for next to nothing , saved monies when I didn't really have enough to spunk out on a new roof . Is this one for J3Zebal ?

Yep. Got used to the luxury of dry seats when had the hardtop on.

Other option is just get hardtop for now

In the end I had a tarp with suction cups for overnighting and charity bags for rainy day trips, the Mrs loved it ... not!

Wish I'd kept it , I've spent more on a 206cc in 4 months than I spent in 5 years on the mxer .

Sounds a true shiter answer!

Anyone ever fitted their own mx5 hood?

You can get a hood from eBay for about £180 or alternatively pay someone £300 + to fit one.

Reading online some people say it is utterly soul destroying.

I've done a few, yep, it's a pig :(

not too bad if you have somewhere dry to work, cheaper hoods have a reputation of not fitting too well. it is possible to fit the hood to the frame while still attached to the car but definitely easier if you take the frame off which obviously takes longer.

if you're fitting a glass window, get a mk2 frame (avo was a mk1 frame which is why the roof was a pain to out down, the mk2 frame I bought was damaged so I had to reuse the mk1 frame)

new tension wires are a good idea, also check the condition of the rubbers and replace

once fitted, it will take some strength to close the top for the first time, leave it up for a week to stretch into shape before putting down again.

or get a hardtop :)

I've done a few, yep, it's a pig :(

not too bad if you have somewhere dry to work, cheaper hoods have a reputation of not fitting too well. it is possible to fit the hood to the frame while still attached to the car but definitely easier if you take the frame off which obviously takes longer.

if you're fitting a glass window, get a mk2 frame (avo was a mk1 frame which is why the roof was a pain to out down, the mk2 frame I bought was damaged so I had to reuse the mk1 frame)

new tension wires are a good idea, also check the condition of the rubbers and replace

once fitted, it will take some strength to close the top for the first time, leave it up for a week to stretch into shape before putting down again.

or get a hardtop :)

Cheers - I have got a spare roof frame in the garage.

Did wonder if it was a false economy getting cheap roof. I think a hard top will be best short term answer

A question.

On a few occasions we have bought something from someone who was of Irish descent and possibly of Romany descent (incidentally all labels are applied in a trying to ask a question sort of way and not being down on any particular group) on each occasion we have paid them cash and they have then gone into their pocket, pulled out some of their cash and given it to us. What's the background to this?

Next part of the question is that we have just sold something to a very nice chap who appears to be of a similar background. Are we supposed to pay him some money back in the same way? How much is it supposed to be? 

Just don't want to go offending anyone.

You can get a hood from eBay for about £180 or alternatively pay someone £300 + to fit one.

Not MX5 - Spîtfire - twice! 

1st  was massively oversized and looked like grandmas 'origin of man' when up OR down....

2nd - looked great once done - but was a fucking nightmare to get into place. Tighter than a sharks arse at 50fathoms.....

EDIT - buy a complete and decent one - there's plenty around I suppose.

Can anyone tell me what this tool is / is for ?

post-20151-0-04443500-1551203518_thumb.jpg

^ Two prongs sticking out of it one end and handle the other., so possibly to turn something like a camshaft or timing chain adjuster.? 

Just possibly it could be something I've bought for my Citroen Ami-Super with its OHC Citroen GS engine, or it might be from a few year ago when I had the '66 S-type Jag., with its straight six XK engine.

Cheers,

Bfg

EDIT :  I found it..  it was from the Jag, and was for adjusting the camshaft's timing chain. Like this one < hereI'll put mine on e-bay tomorrow.  Sorry to have disturbed you.  ;)

Get on you tube and see if you can watch the episode of wheeler dealers with the mx5, I think ed managed to change one. Will give you a rough idea whats involved.

I recently won a Rover 800 on eBay, T series.

Seller has messaged me to say the coolant is starting to bubble, and it's showing some oil spots.

They also mention the elderly owner accidently topped the coolant up with PAS fluid a short while ago and it was flushed out the very next day.

Expansion tank obviously cracked, but sealed together.

What do I do? Is this a HGF waiting to happen?

Piece of piss, done four now. (All Mk1 but mk2 is very similar) just take your time and work from the back up. You need a good place to hold the roof, loads of patience and two people. Don’t even think of doing it at this time of year. The middle of summer on a day so hot the material is burning your fingers makes it a doddle.

I got one with a Glass rear window from Mazmania near Knutsford.  

This made it more complicated because it required drilling holes in the frame for some webbing, which is required to hold the frame in the right place so the screen doesn't get trapped. 

It took about 6 hours in total, but over an hour was wasted trying to get one screw out and another hour wasted, when I couldn't get the roof closed.  (The trick after I rang up Mazmania was to loosen the rear bolts, allowing the roof to close and then do them up. 

I think, with practice, I reckon i could do them in 3 hours. 

Because the previous owner had sold the original hard top, it already had the wiring and fuses and switches in place for the glass.  

Carburettor ID help please chaps!

I was talking through the GSA starting/fuelling issues with FPB7 yesterday, and he mentioned it could be due to a holed accelerator pump diaphragm on the carb.

I have a couple of pics of the carb below and just wanted to confirm that It's a Weber 30.. and that this is the rebuild kit I need (or where one could be acquired!)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201419103465

post-17572-0-50020200-1551217547_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-40746900-1551217595_thumb.jpgpost-17572-0-39631200-1551217638_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-40995400-1551217662_thumb.jpg