Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

How do you find out where a car was MOT'd if you don't own it, please? I'm sure the MOT history thing on the web used to show it, but doesn't seem to now.

*Edit: just tried and it seems you need latest V5C number.

Is it legal/safe to put 2 child seats in the back 2 seats of a zafira b? Will be a 5 and 6 year old in there, not a newborn...

Amy wants to take her aunt and other children out in the week, and isn't sure if it's allowed. My answer of "well if your in a crash big enough to reposition the boot into the middle of the car then youve got bigger issues to worry about wasnt helpful, and googling the issue presented results that were as clear and concise as the stereotypical owners of zafiras... "OMG HUN YOU'LL DIE, I HATE 7 SEATERS yet still own one..."

Any legalities that anyone knows about?

Is it legal/safe to put 2 child seats in the back 2 seats of a zafira b? Will be a 5 and 6 year old in there, not a newborn...

Amy wants to take her aunt and other children out in the week, and isn't sure if it's allowed. My answer of "well if your in a crash big enough to reposition the boot into the middle of the car then youve got bigger issues to worry about wasnt helpful, and googling the issue presented results that were as clear and concise as the stereotypical owners of zafiras... "OMG HUN YOU'LL DIE, I HATE 7 SEATERS yet still own one..."

Why would it not be legal???

It's a seat with a seat belt. The child seat is held in by the seat belt and the child by the erm seat belt. Why would that be any different than putting them in the back seat of a polo ?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a windscreen phone mount which is stable enough for video? Most of them seem to have great long arms to bring the phone to you, which in turn flex and shake the phone. I had to rest Jim's on the dashboard yesterday, hence the moustache.

I have a week off and I have option one... Sit on my fat arse eating crisps. Or option two a cheap flight somewhere.

Option two is flights to Barcelona are cheapish, weather will be shit, but I can eat Spanish crisps.

How come car rentals are soo cheap? £24 for 3 days rental. This isn't a one off place, I can spend £18 if I want. It's not £24 per day.

I don't need an international licence? Post office says yes.

Dirt cheap car rental usually means they’ll sting you for the insurance when you get there. I hired from Easirent at Newcastle airport once and the headline price has a HUGE excess and they’ll ding you for the tiniest stone chip (they don’t recognise the BVRLA condition guidelines). You end up just saying “fuck it charge me for the super cover”

After that experience I would just pay the extra for Hertz, Avis, Europcar etc.

Photo card driving license is sound in the rest of the EU

All OK - but the usual scream from mumsnet (other sites may apply) is that the rear seats are inside the crumple zone - so impending crushage in the event of no working brake lights and rer-ended (see below) 

Yes it was. So technically shouldn't be on the road I would have thought.

Faulty brake lights too.

Edit. bad lights all round and failure tyres, 2, as well.

As thy didn't get the issues fixed and a valid MoT - any insurance assessor/adjuster/investigator - would only have to troll the MoT site and reveal it was declared un-roadworthy and quote the lights. Owner has no (even semi-legal) proof this was redressed. They'll then be able to weadle out of it...…… one way or another, or at least give the shonk driver the complete runaround.

If the MoT rules - no brake lights - states dangerous/immediate repair needed - then the vehicla shouldn't be on the road - wouldn't that null and void any insurance cover? Not sure on the legalities of that side.

Dirt cheap car rental usually means they’ll sting you for the insurance when you get there. I hired from Easirent at Newcastle airport once and the headline price has a HUGE excess and they’ll ding you for the tiniest stone chip (they don’t recognise the BVRLA condition guidelines). You end up just saying “fuck it charge me for the super cover”

After that experience I would just pay the extra for Hertz, Avis, Europcar etc.

Photo card driving license is sound in the rest of the EU

This is a case of booked it, packed it, fucking off. Lost my first flight, so I'm flying from bastard Gatwick... But even with parking etc, it'd not a bad price.

I won't get a car, but I may have a nob about on a scooter.

I shall send many pictures of Fiat Pandas.

EDIT: I forgot I have a Zipcar card, €3 an hour for an i30.

All OK - but the usual scream from mumsnet (other sites may apply) is that the rear seats are inside the crumple zone - so impending crushage in the event of no working brake lights and rer-ended (see below) 

As thy didn't get the issues fixed and a valid MoT - any insurance assessor/adjuster/investigator - would only have to troll the MoT site and reveal it was declared un-roadworthy and quote the lights. Owner has no (even semi-legal) proof this was redressed. They'll then be able to weadle out of it...…… one way or another, or at least give the shonk driver the complete runaround.

If the MoT rules - no brake lights - states dangerous/immediate repair needed - then the vehicla shouldn't be on the road - wouldn't that null and void any insurance cover? Not sure on the legalities of that side.

The Mot on the hit car ran out last September. It failed the test on 2 tyres below minimum, various lights not functioning, faulty brake lights, both sides, and a ball joint. Only a small bump, 5mph or so, slight dent in rear hatch of a 15 year old Fester. She could claim but I'm pretty sure the insurance for her will go up by a considerable amount next time. I'm sure insurance companies are not too keen on non Mot'd motors. 

Had an argument with our insurance company a few years ago when they gave us a five seater courtesy car while the bodywork was done on our zafira. They stated to us that a "zafira is a five seater car with two occasional seats in the boot" and not a seven seater!!?.

Daft question, is it only me who is put off certain cars, that I would otherwise like, because someone that I didn't like had one?

Welcome to my irrational world

Same here, every Volvo 440 and Ford Cougar remind me an arsehole at work who has thankfully retired, and I still struggle with 1930s open top mercs :-)

She's going to risk* it

Problem is Eva loves sitting in the back, both girls will love it! I then think about all the thousands of council mums who have probably driven babies about in the very back seats and been fine.

Ill not mention the seat belt thing though, I'll be halfway to work when amys aunt gets here, so it'll be Not My Problem!

I have a week off and I have option one... Sit on my fat arse eating crisps. Or option two a cheap flight somewhere.

Option two is flights to Barcelona are cheapish, weather will be shit, but I can eat Spanish crisps.

How come car rentals are soo cheap? £24 for 3 days rental. This isn't a one off place, I can spend £18 if I want. It's not £24 per day.

I don't need an international licence? Post office says yes.

Not the same place but I've been going to Portugal both Oporto and Lisbon cheap flights maybe 30 times in the past few years and hire cars from whoever is cheap usually 30ish euro for 5 days unlimited mileage and almost new cars (Hertx, Avis, Sixt, Budget but not Gold) and never had "extras" added to the bills. They hold a cerdit card deposit but have always returned in full.  Full uk licence needs a code to let Hire company check if you are banned etc  which you need to supply.

Question re.  Honda Generator - GX240, 242cc : Carburettor / Float / Needle valve

post-20151-0-83064700-1550576002_thumb.jpg

This Honda generator of mine leaks petrol from its carburettor. The carburettor is overflowing. 

Suspecting a bit of grit under the needle valve I took the carb off and found the needle valve seating well (there is no adjustment). But the petrol leaks from between the (fleshy coloured) plastic valve seat and the diecast aluminium.  

post-20151-0-51691400-1550576268_thumb.jpg

The aluminium housing has dovetails to locate and hold the plastic valve seat, so I suspect the assembly will not come apart without breaking the plastic. So my question is :  Is there any chemical I might paint into the joint between the two parts that will seal it, and which will also withstand constant petrol saturation. ?

My thinking is that only epoxy resin might possibly do this.  But I thought I'd ask the forum to see if there was a better solution.

Thanks, Bfg.

P.S.  Anyone know what this generator is worth on the open market.??  It's rated at 3.5 KVA (..which I understand is about 2.8kw.), and supplies 220v/ 15.9 amp or 110v / 31.8 amp, so it ought to be good for use with on-site power tools &/or for market traders, etc.  The motor sounds in great condition. It has electric or hand start (12v battery not included when I sell it)..  I bought it for my boat, but it's rather too heavy for a small sailing catamaran.  I've owned it about seven or eight years and barely been used it.  Last time was power outage to run lighting and the TV for a couple of hours one evening.  Before that it was lent to the local nursing home when they had a black-out for a couple of days.  As it's been standing for years I put a new spark plug in and fresh petrol. It starts very easily (when I remember to turn the ignition switch on !) . .

Full leak now resolved.  Cheers. 

post-20151-0-15019900-1550577889_thumb.jpg

Question re.  Honda Generator - GX240, 242cc : Carburettor / Float / Needle valve

attachicon.gifP1300435 Honda Generator.jpg

This Honda generator of mine leaks petrol from its carburettor. The carburettor is overflowing. 

Suspecting a bit of grit under the needle valve I took the carb off and found the needle valve seating well (there is no adjustment). But the petrol leaks from between the (fleshy coloured) plastic valve seat and the diecast aluminium.  

attachicon.gifP1300434s.jpg

The aluminium housing has dovetails to locate and hold the plastic valve seat, so I suspect the assembly will not come apart without breaking the plastic. So my question is :  Is there any chemical I might paint into the joint between the two parts that will seal it, and which will also withstand constant petrol saturation. ?

My thinking is that only epoxy resin might possibly do this.  But I thought I'd ask the forum to see if there was a better solution.

Thanks, Bfg.

P.S.  Anyone know what this generator is worth on the open market.??  It's rated at 3.5 Kw., and supplies 220v/ 15.9 amp or 110v / 31.8 amp, so it ought to be good for use with on-site power tools &/or for market traders, etc.  The motor sounds in great condition. It has electric or hand start (12v battery not included when I sell it)..  I bought it for my boat, but it's rather too heavy for a small sailing catamaran.  I've owned it about seven or eight years and barely been used it.  Last time was power outage to run lighting and the TV for a couple of hours one evening.  Before that it was lent to the local nursing home when they had a black-out for a couple of days.  Cheers. 

Sorted  (..I hope !)

I've found another possibility as I was sorting through what I had on the shelf, that being POR-15 petrol tank sealer.

It's painted on now and sitting on a radiator to harden.

I don't know whether it will work, because the tin I have of it was bought in the States, and I came back from there in 1999. I'd probably bought it for one of the cars I had at that time .. the MGA or the Jag XK150s ..mind you it might have been for the BSA Thunderbird.  As the tin was never opened I'm hoping it'll be fine, after all what's a little 20-25 year shelf-life between friends.! :shock:

Bfg

Surely it would earth by the others if they were ok?

I have just buzzed it out , the mounting points are just that , nothing else ...  pheww !!

the whole thing contains 2 sets of coils  

the primaries share a common earth ( middle pin ) and the outer pins are each primary ,

the secondary's have a terminal to each plug ( so a wasted spark system )