Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

No, save your money, wipe the cap off and hope for the best then stick the Steel Seal in the expansion tank. Have you checked the gaskets definitely gone?

Not sure really, the emulsion under the filler cap is the only symptom. The cars not obviously got white smoke out of the zorst and doesn't appear to be pressuring the coolant. As it was run for some time without coolant I'm guessing a cracked head is more likely than HGF? The expansion bottle looks to be free of any oil too.

Not sure really, the emulsion under the filler cap is the only symptom. The cars not obviously got white smoke out of the zorst and doesn't appear to be pressuring the coolant. As it was run for some time without coolant I'm guessing a cracked head is more likely than HGF? The expansion bottle looks to be free of any oil too.

The fact it spat the steam out is suspect.

Personally clean off gunk under cap - k seal and ignore.

Could it just be condensation due to short trips.

Lad I worked with had a Bora that was always full of crud during cold weather, he only drove about ten miles a day spit into two trips.

A decent run (about 50 miles round trip) cleared it all out.

Could it just be condensation due to short trips.

Lad I worked with had a Bora that was always full of crud during cold weather, he only drove about ten miles a day spit into two trips.

A decent run (about 50 miles round trip) cleared it all out.

Yes this is a possibility. It's been the school run bus for the last couple of days. The missus gives it a 30mile run Monday through Wednesday so will keep an eye on then.

Yeah, so my Buick is broken.

Went to go out in it last night, it fired up straight away, ran for two seconds then cut out, and it's not shown any interest in starting since.

With the help of a neighbour and a can of Easystart I've been able to ascertain that it's sparking, so the problem is evidently fuel-related.  Helpfully* the OBD is showing no faults, despite the MIL being on :? .

When I turn the ignition on, the in-tank fuel pump whirrs for a couple of seconds, as it should do.  However when I use a screwdriver to press in the Schrader valve on the fuel line under the bonnet, it just sneezes out a few ml of petrol and that's it.  Surely there should be more pressure than that in an EFI system?

Went to go out in it last night, it fired up straight away, ran for two seconds then cut out, and it's not shown any interest in starting since.

With the help of a neighbour and a can of Easystart I've been able to ascertain that it's sparking, so the problem is evidently fuel-related.  Helpfully* the OBD is showing no faults, despite the MIL being on :? .

When I turn the ignition on, the in-tank fuel pump whirrs for a couple of seconds, as it should do.  However when I use a screwdriver to press in the Schrader valve on the fuel line under the bonnet, it just sneezes out a few ml of petrol and that's it.  Surely there should be more pressure than that in an EFI system?

Collapsed hose, air leak or blocked filter?

"Yeah, so my Buick is broken.

When I turn the ignition on, the in-tank fuel pump whirrs for a couple of seconds, as it should do.  However when I use a screwdriver to press in the Schrader valve on the fuel line under the bonnet, it just sneezes out a few ml of petrol and that's it.  Surely there should be more pressure than that in an EFI system?"

Your Buick problem may be due to a ballast Resistor in the ignition circuit. I had this once on a Dodge Aspen in Canada. It always blows when the weather is extremely cold. Its worth checking and the Resistor is usually easy to replace.

I want to say an old Bristol.

I keep wanting to say the same too.

It has got fuel in the tank hasn't it?

It has got fuel in the tank hasn't it?

Yup, 1/4 tank in fact.

Your Buick problem may be due to a ballast Resistor in the ignition circuit. I had this once on a Dodge Aspen in Canada. It always blows when the weather is extremely cold. Its worth checking and the Resistor is usually easy to replace.

Interesting.  Would that not stop it firing completely though?  It runs "normally" as long as you spray Easystart into the intake, but doesn't even cough otherwise.

Collapsed hose, air leak or blocked filter?

I did wonder if it was a blockage somewhere (not sure where the filter is on these, it ain't under the bonnet), but I would have thought that if that was the problem the in-tank pump would keep on running for longer - aren't they supposed to shut off at a certain pressure rather than after a certain time?

This is the setup under the bonnet. The round fuel valve thing has a vacuum pipe running from it which is quite perished, but I couldn't see any obvious issues other than that.

post-190-0-85675500-1549236996_thumb.jpg

Autodoc - any one used them, and what's your feedback?

Searching for Sigma bits , they claimed to have them but I kept searching and found them in a motor factors 20 miles up the road for less money , collected within the hour and fitted that day .

I have heard they are slow and not keen on returning money if they can't source them . Corolla service parts should be easy enough to find. GLWTsearch

The Passat failed its test on its insecure battery along with a few other things. The clamp is gone, apparently this is what I need but I can't figure out how it works to hold the battery in place. Any ideas?

I'm tempted to use a wee ratchet strap or bungee instead, paying close to £20 for a wee bit of metal stings a bit.

dd2b899b4bff01a340f709784c8451f5.jpg