Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

I assume I can just give it a rub with some fine sandpaper and then a spray with contact cleaner as opposed to getting someone round to cut it off and fit a new connector.

Aye that fixes 99% of them.

I thought you were an old Ford owner, you should know all about dodgy earths!

what's up with your swirl flaps? If it's the linkages popping off, there's someone on fleabay selling repair kits with machined brass cups with o-rings in them. They're a bit fiddly to fit, I fitted a set on a Vectra C I owned, they were excellent. I think I paid about £20 for them.

One swirl flap has jumped out, the other 3 have siezed. Needs a bit more than the linkage, hence wanting to see if I can remove the manifold easily.

I’m thinking about getting a compressor.

I could do with an impact wrench, finger sander and various other tools for getting into restoration work on the Rancho and SD1 (etc) next year, and was thinking that air tools make more sense than expensive battery systems or every tool having its own motor.

A sensible budget seems to be £170-180 for a 50 litre 2.5hp mains compressor.

My concern is that air impact wrenches appear to want about 18cfm of air at load, while compressors in range only shift 9-11cfm. In fact an 18cfm compressor seems to be a very expensive industrial thing.

Am I going down a wrong track here?

I could do with an impact wrench, finger sander and various other tools for getting into restoration work on the Rancho and SD1 (etc) next year, and was thinking that air tools make more sense than expensive battery systems or every tool having its own motor.

My concern is that air impact wrenches appear to want about 18cfm of air at load, while compressors in range only shift 9-11cfm. In fact an 18cfm compressor seems to be a very expensive industrial thing.

You won't be using the wrenches 100% of the time. So while the trigger isn't pulled the compressor can and will too the tank up.

Lidl does a decent range of airtools etc and a compressor a few times a year. I've not got them but I have plenty of other Parkside (their make) power tools and they are all decent for the money.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

I was looking at 18v battery systems but decent ones are mucho dollar, similar to compressor money for a couple of batteries and the charger, and the tools are more expensive than air tools because of the motors.

Plus I might even do some spray painting, if only of primer and/or base coat - I have a reasonable paint gun from way back, but sold my old compressor years ago because I lacked space to store it (pre sheds).

If you have 3 phase where you are then that is the best option buy a pre 1980's compressor and you will be fine. 3 phase stuff is cheap and the older stuff will live forever as it was from a time they built equipment to last. My compressor is a 1960's big old thumper and runs most things with no problem. Forget the cheap tools from Lidl they are cheap for a reason, get a nice old CP gun and they will undo anything. The newer composite ones are a bit shit but handy if you don't want to overtighten anything. If you don't have 3 phase you can run the bigger compressors but expect a lot of blown fuses or have to wire in a 32 amp plug. The little ones won't run air sanders for long even with a big tank as they are very greedy, if you expect to do a lot of sanding electric may be better.

If you do go the air tool route, and anyone else reading, I have a number of air tools I need to sort through and check what works and what they actually are. I will then make them available on here for people.

Yes please I'd be interested in some, bought a decent compressor last year and all I've done is blow up tyres and dried my motorbike with it.

If it's for a trailer and you have access to a laminator try a vanity seller's website.   Some of them have an emulator where you can type in your intended reg and see what it looks like.  Simply type in your own number, print it off full size, stick it some stiff card and laminate it.  If no laminator just slide it in a plastic sleeve of some kind (the sort that you keep 45 records in for instance) and clear tape it shut.   

If it's for a trailer and you have access to a laminator try a vanity seller's website.   Some of them have an emulator where you can type in your intended reg and see what it looks like.  Simply type in your own number, print it off full size, stick it some stiff card and laminate it.  If no laminator just slide it in a plastic sleeve of some kind (the sort that you keep 45 records in for instance) and clear tape it shut.

This works even better if you’ve got another number plate that’s already half right.

post-4091-0-82492000-1545653753_thumb.jpeg