Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

pulled the pipe off and there was some muck in the throttle body pipe. cleared some and the light went out but it has come on again.

I am a bit wary what to use and how far in to the throttle body to clear.

what type would be suitable, either of the below?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diagnostic-Car-Engine-Fault-Code-Scanner-Reader-Reset-Tool-OBD-2-CAN-BUS-EOBD/223103792575?epid=2122563386&hash=item33f205b5bf:g:mG0AAOSwgcVbFlEk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Fault-Scanner-Engine-Reset-OBD-OBDII-OBD2-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-CAN-BUS-UK/292270324804?epid=26008832884&hash=item440cab3c44:g:POsAAOSw2FVbTyGa

Either, they are a muchness really, get one, plug it in and see what it says, you’ve a rough idea then the area it may be. Carb cleaner for the throttle body. Pipes are tricky to clean out, I’d price up a new one, sometimes on Corsas the top breather pipe blocks, a new one is about £7, it’s hardly worth trying to poke it through.

Right, more help please. 

The previous owner fixed* lots of saggy vinyl issues on door cards by gaffer taping them over. When the old tape lost adhesion due to heat/UV exposure, he just put more over the top. 

I'm slowing sorting them by taking them off and stretching the vinyl back over and anchoring on the rear, but I'm left with a vast quantity of gaffer tape glue on everything. Due to the summer heat its all baked hard (i.e. its not sticky) with flaky bits of the white reinforcing mesh stuck to it. 

What can I remove it with? Carb cleaner works really well, but is discoloring the vinyl. WD40 was recommended elsewhere, but that just makes it slippery. Suggestions please? 

Sticky stuff remover?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/293673837

If you can find somewhere solid to jack to lift one end then spinning one of the ramps round 180 degrees would do away with the need for those posts

Just seen this.

I jacked it up each end individually and did consider doing that. My fear by doing that was not it rolling off, but slipping off both. Probably unfounded. I over imagine things sometimes.

Have had the Oxford out on a round trip bimble to the parents, and my Dad had his first trip in it.

It's squealling like a fucker from the dynamo. Lubricating the rear bearing with 3 in one oil quietens it down but not for long.

Any ideas?

Find an alternator to chuck on, kits for the Minor are less than £100 so MG stuff should be easy to find too.

I couldn't get in at all, I was just getting an error page. It gave me the jitters thinking I might have to do some work today!

What's a reasonable amount of time to second offer the Oldsmobile? Winning bidder hasn't replied in hours and hours now...and the advert mentioned a tight turnaround necessary.

You have to cancel the original transaction before you can make a second chance offer. To do that, you have to wait 2 days and then open a case with Ebay.

Need to install the new (used but better) wiper linkage into shitey,old one had some sort of dried up black plasticine type goop on it plus old perished gaskets which I dont think were paper?

the replacement has nothing and you cant buy them anymore :(

Looking for Ideas to keep water ingress from entering around the spindles?

Been looking at Sikaflex but I hear it sets up very quickly and the linkage is a bugger to get in and I need working time..............................

Any advice would be great guys :)

sikaflex /pu sealer isnt that quick you could use it but id say its wrong for the job

would this be your dried up plastacine?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLT-ON-PANEL-SEALER-BUTYL-TAPE-ROLL-STRIP-SEALANT-BONDING-CARS-BOATS-VANS/282259968136?epid=566449706&hash=item41b8015088:g:6-cAAOSw42dZAeUZ

Not sure ill post a pic up later ;)

Seems to be a mix theres plasticine style stuff filling up the casting voids and then a rubber sealer too and inbetween gaskets that appear to be made out of something similar?

Plasticine stuff will be dumdum body putty that you use for landrover windows etc, it's a non setting mastic like a car version of putty and very handy.

You could cut new gaskets from thin rubber?

What are these windscreen chip repair kits like? Do they work and more importantly will it stop the screen from cracking over winter?

I've used a "Laser" branded kit which was about a fiver on Ebay.

It did improve the chips, but they won't disappear if they are substantial ones. Hopefully the resin strengthens the chip, certainly none of mine turned into cracks afterwards.

What are these windscreen chip repair kits like? Do they work and more importantly will it stop the screen from cracking over winter?

Provided they fill the crack properly it'll stop it getting worse as the normal reason they expand in winter is water gets in them, freezes & expands pushing the glass apart.

Thanks guys

Think your right Stevo heres a pic of mine thats dried out

42426530630_ada484916d_k_d.jpg

Heres a pic from another listing of the same stuff looks very similar but obviously newer and stickier and more Pliable :)

s-l1600.jpg

Is there anywhere I can get rubber gasket from dodgerover im guessing eBay too?

Heres what the plasticene stuff looks like on the spindles its the stuff ousing out of the middle the flat bit is the gaskets

39091699_2109250492735314_61234665275397

And here are the remains of the gaskets and underneath them in the voids on the castings is the plasticine stuff again ;)

38949004_2109246509402379_35972412946000

Dum Dum is no longer made but there are substitutes which you can find if you type Dum Dum into the eBay search box.