Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Prompted by the SAAB write-off thread; when your bolide is wrecked by some miscreant, if you've got alternative transport(i.e. a drive full of chod) will insurers bung you some cash in lieu of giving you a hire car that you won't need?

Whenever they ask me about including car hire on a policy I always say no and point out that we have four cars anyway. Sometimes they say well its included whether you like it or not. As I have probably chosen them because they are the cheapest on offer I can't really complain.

You have a duty in law to reasonably minimise your losses, so if you have other equivalent transport that’s not in use and have a hire car then you do run the risk of being asked to pay for it. Ultimately by a judge.

You’d be unlucky though.

And it needs to be equivalent. So if the spare cars are too small / too chavvy / can’t tow if needed / etc then you’ll be fine. As much as you ever will be dealing with Insurance.

if you've got alternative transport(i.e. a drive full of chod) will insurers bung you some cash in lieu of giving you a hire car that you won't need?

Yeah, I've refused a hire car before (other party at fault, their insurers) and took the loss-of-use dosh. I have alternative chod to use (well sometimes), but what if I want to use THE car that got fucked, then I can't, can I? It may not be as much as the equivalent daily rate on a hire car, but I've never heard them grumble too much about paying it as part of the settlement.

I'm after a trailer at the moment,  probably about 4'x3'.  I would be planning on making a removable cage top for it to take the dogs out without filling the 405 with dog hair.  It would also get used for collecting ton bags of sand when I'm laying patios as it's a right faff getting them in the van and clearing the mess up afterwards.

Would something like this

$_86.JPG

or this

$_86.JPG

carry a ton a short distance if I bought decent tyres?

Being as I've got a boring post 97 licence I'm limited to 3.5T train weight on the vehicles MAM so would be towing with the 405 rather than the Discovery.

Unbraked trailers are limited to 750kg towing capacity including the weight of the trailer so they might be a bit tight with carrying a Bulk bag (as that is what the ton bags are called as they don't usually have a ton in them.

I have used one like the first to carry well over a ton before now and they tow great, it would do everything you need but will be very bouncy with no weight so the dogs might not like it.

I have used one like the first to carry well over a ton before now and they tow great, it would do everything you need but will be very bouncy with no weight so the dogs might not like it.

I'd agree with this, if the suspension is up to carrying a tonne then the dogs are going to get their fillings removed over potholes; the capacity to carry heavy loads militates against giving light loads a decent ride, especially with dinky little 8-10" wheels. Can you not get a boot liner for the 405?

I've been told that the bleed nipples on the calipers of my Streetkak are buggered. Anything to be done or am I looking at replacing the calipers? The brake fluid is probably well past its shelf life

If you can get the bleed nipples out its a 5 minute job to fit new ones, if not you can fit banjo bolts with bleed nipples, or last resort fit refurbed calipers, they should be dirt cheap.

Nissan Teranno 2.7 turbo diesel

Very underpowered. Have replaced fuel filter and the fine filter under the banjo. Replaced fuel lines in case of any leaks.

It generally runs at around 80 degrees but with a trailer on, going up a hill it really struggles to the point where only first gear will do. When it hits around 90 degrees it loses pretty much all power. Had to drop it into low box last time.

Fuel consumption is fine, as is oil. It doesn't smoke at all.

Any ideas? I tried disconnecting the MAF but it made no difference.

Nissan Teranno 2.7 turbo diesel

Very underpowered. Have replaced fuel filter and the fine filter under the banjo. Replaced fuel lines in case of any leaks.

It generally runs at around 80 degrees but with a trailer on, going up a hill it really struggles to the point where only first gear will do. When it hits around 90 degrees it loses pretty much all power. Had to drop it into low box last time.

Fuel consumption is fine, as is oil. It doesn't smoke at all.

Any ideas? I tried disconnecting the MAF but it made no difference.

A hose leak on the boost side of the turbo?

Turbo wastegate jammed open?

Nissan Teranno 2.7 turbo diesel Very underpowered.

Well, yes.

Actually this sounds like a partially siezing turbocharger. Worse when it gets hot. Eventually it siezes so badly that it becomes a restriction to the inlet and exhaust. Then all cools down again and it starts spinning a bit, but not enough to make boost.

Pressure/vacuum gauge on the inlet fannymould will tell you if this is the case or a load of old bollocks.

Could also be a collapsed exhaust silencer or some other inlet/exhaust restriction. If the fuel consumption is as expected, I doubt it's a fuelling issue.

Could also be a collapsed exhaust silencer or some other inlet/exhaust restriction. If the fuel consumption is as expected, I doubt it's a fuelling issue.

Actually, I think I might be talking shit there. Would be true if it were a petrol engine, but this is a diesel, and I assume is a mechanical injection engine? if so, then the injection pump wouldn't "know" that there was any kind of restriction, and would fuel just as hard as normal, meaning you'd be black smoking if there was a restriction in the inlet system, and the fuel consumption would be abysmal if there was a restriction in the exhaust.

Have you checked the fuel filter for full blocking? I had an XUD develop massively reduced power once, which was a blocked fuel filter. Still drove fine, just with only 15hp.

I'm a long time lurker, thought I would post something since I can't get to sleep tonight.. I was checking out one of my old cars MOT and I'm so confused as to how it went from this one year...

1.png

to this.

2.png

I could only imagine the state of the rot if this is anything to go by, but in a year? really surprised me... think it got scrapped right after that, sad.. I'm also confused about how it passed in 4 Apr 2016 and expired in 1 may 2017 but was tested again in June 2016 and failed with all those problems? huh? Dodgy MOT? 

3.png

???

check it out if you would like.. R815 FGH