Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Get the thickest self inflating mattress you can, I used to have a 10cm one & it was a comfy as a real bed.

I was about to suggest the same.  They are more comfortable than a Lilo and less hassle/less bulky than those posh looking air mattresses.

Had the wheels off the 75 to clean the backs and paint the disk centre as they had rusted. 

There is light score on the inside of the front wheel, when i look the front wheel back plate had rusted away and came off in my hand.

These look like a hub off job to replace, are they needed or is it safe without it. Worried about nuns, kittens etc.

Had the wheels off the 75 to clean the backs and paint the disk centre as they had rusted. 

There is light score on the inside of the front wheel, when i look the front wheel back plate had rusted away and came off in my hand.

These look like a hub off job to replace, are they needed or is it safe without it. Worried about nuns, kittens etc.

The same happened to my Stellar last year. Replacements are not available. Had new discs and pads fitted for last MOT and no comment was made regarding the missing backplates. 

406 2.1 XUD11 doesnt seem to like tootling along at 2K rpm.  Normally this is the sweet spot for dizzlers. 

It is a bit lumpy at that range and doesnt feel like it is a very happy car. Any ideas what might cause it? 

406 2.1 XUD11 doesnt seem to like tootling along at 2K rpm. Normally this is the sweet spot for dizzlers.

It is a bit lumpy at that range and doesnt feel like it is a very happy car. Any ideas what might cause it?

Does it have an EGR and/or swirl flaps? Both are likely to be working away at those revs, especially if crusing.

I have binned these and no MOT has ever mentioned it. Some cars never had them and it is not at all obvious what they are for.

Usual vague answers are "cooling", "keeping the discs dry", "protecting the discs against debris" but it's just a bit of flimsy to protect a massively strong disc and car makers can't show you enough of the disc through the wheel these days........

OK, very stupid question time.

The 205 I've just acquired from Brammy needs a nearside front wishbone for the test, as the ball joint is shagged.  So far, so straightforward.  The wishbone looks like this:

s-l400.jpg

However, whilst searching for wishbones on eBay I've come across a load of track control arms, which also feature a ball joint.  They look like this:

s-l300.jpg

The reason I'm puzzled is that I've been under both of my 205s and I can't for the life of me see one of those anywhere in the front suspension setup.  Am I just being incredibly thick?

I’m just wondering if anyone has experience of trade insurance to cover their fleet. I’m not a trader but the only thing stopping me swapping cars regularly is the cost and effort of taking out/changing insurance policies. Whenever I’ve tried to get multi car insurance from the classic providers they won’t play ball due to the mix of classic, high performance and grey import vehicles I’ve got at the minute. I’d love to be able to buy half of the shite for sale on here in a whim and a trade policy seems to be the answer.

Or am I missing something?

205 bottom arms - first is the GTI/turbo diesel/proper French 1.3 Rallye, second is everything else eg: petrol and atmo diesel.

Trade insurance - I was asked for proof of trading when setting up initially. Most insurers seem pretty hot on it now (and also some well-documented police campaigns to stamp out dodgy use of these policies).

Yup - I looked into it, over here (and I'm pretty sure in UK too) - you need to prove you're buying /selling a minimum number per year...... It isn't a hge number, only 5 or 6 I think but memory may be kidding me on that one. Buying wasn't the problem - it was selling the buggers again where I come unstuck!

I service/repair. Trade insurance varies to cater for sales or repair garages or however else the business works.

I dumped a load of invoices on them and they said thanks, that’s quite enough proof!

Cover for me is for all customers cars for the purposes of trade and in addition me and my partner on all of our vehicles for commuting/business use (I do other ecology-based work too). Camper van only covered third party though. That’s the only snag for me.

You need to be able to evidence that you are a trader if you ever need to claim

This is true.... My mate had an accident when under his trade policy. He was getting through a fair few cars at the time (maybe 3 or 4 per year) but he couldn't demonstrate he was a trader. I've ended up with an Admiral multicar policy for my modern shite. Its 'reasonable'.

Anyone know the script with auto-renewing vehicle insurance? A brokers have done this to me and claimed they sent a letter out first (which I never received) and it was 'in the small print of your policy'. I never asked them to insure me again and had found cover elsewhere (they asked for proof which I sent them) and now claim I owe them £32.56, along with a direct debit that's already gone out. Told them on the 'phone on Saturday they can shove any refund claims where the sun doesn't shine and I wanted my DD back.

Where do I stand, will I have to pay this £32.56? Thanks in advance.

Anyone know the script with auto-renewing vehicle insurance? A brokers have done this to me and claimed they sent a letter out first (which I never received) and it was 'in the small print of your policy'. I never asked them to insure me again and had found cover elsewhere (they asked for proof which I sent them) and now claim I owe them £32.56, along with a direct debit that's already gone out. Told them on the 'phone on Saturday they can shove any refund claims where the sun doesn't shine and I wanted my DD back.

Where do I stand, will I have to pay this £32.56? Thanks in advance.

I'm looking into this - I just got a collection bod letter as Ethi-shaft auto renewed mine on a scooter at an old address..... I'm now trying to find out where I stand, I never authorised or requested a second year with them as it was stop gap. I'm waiting my lawyers response - but was told not to keep my hopes up! It's almost £400 too! Thieving bastards..........

Yeah, got the refund then? What does the small print say and has the new policy commenced before you've had it out with them?

£23 or something went out DD, I only found out after receiving new insurance docs I had no idea about and didn't ask for. I've since cancelled the DD and then received a letter today saying I owe them £32.56, which afaic they can shove up their arse.

*Edit: after speaking to them Saturday, they cancelled the policy.