Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

What became of the ex danthecapriman ex breadvan ex junkman Granada, is it still alive\in AS hands?

Isn't that the one in Skizzers hands now? If so I believe it was waiting at BV towers for his mobile mechanic to fix a HGF.

It's Skizzers motor now. As far as I know it had a bad turn with waterpump failure on the way to BV towers and over heated.

I think it's just waiting its turn for some fettling. But it is safe!

Wot they said - it’s now 100% owned by me but currently stored chez Breadvan, late of this parish. BV’s (good) mobile mechanic has done some work on it but has moved house to 40 miles away so progress is a bit intermittent. I’m meeting up with BV this week or next to make a plan; at some point in the next few weeks I’ll either drive or trailer it back to mine.

Once running again it’ll get some restoration work done, mainly to preserve it. It’s basically very solid but there are a few rust spots and a lorra lorra lacquer peel.

Have a photo from when it was previously at mine.

post-4091-0-91807100-1518346889_thumb.jpeg

By now I'd be surprised if it's still got any lacquer left on it! The rate it was peeling off the roof even back when I had it. It was like the car had a major dandruff problem!

Keep us posted how you get on, it'll be great to see it come back to life and into use again. It's a bloody great car!

Crap pump adaptor not pressing valve stem? Make sure you push it right on.

Does pump work on another tyre valve.

If works on another wheel then yes, new valve maybe.

Thanks - yes it pumped up all the other tyres on the fleet. Sigh, off to the tyre centre first thing then.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

Sorry if this has been done before but, I was told last night the the mot test is about to get a whole lot tougher, particularly for diesels.

Could one of our mot tester members put some meat on the bones, please?

I'm not an MOT testah, but my understanding is that it is for new vehicles only. The previous limits and cut-off dates being unaffected.

This may* be bollocks, but changes in MOT criteria are very rarely backdated.

Peugeot 206 estate(ok, 'SW') question: were these made in Ryton or imported from France?

I'm fairly sure that the last car made at Ryton was a 206SW that is now at Coventry Transport Museum.

I've just started my much abused Astra (97 1.4) and the tickover was all over the place.  Does the team think it needs a new fuel filter or a clean something in the inlet fannymold?

After having palpitations at the price of it I plucked up courage and bought a tin of POR15 etch primer. I've never used paint like it, shit to a blanket; thing is, it surely doesn't have to be this expensive to get something that stays on does it? Any cheaper alternatives gratefully considered.

Does anybody have a good recommendation for a workshop consumables supplier? cutting discs, spray grease, brake cleaner, cable ties etc etc....

Yeah there are loads of things on ebay but not everywhere I have looked at sells everything I need and to minimise postal costs bumming I prefer to get everything in one hit - assuming they will post to forrin.

I currently have a Beal catalogue here and have used them a lot in the past but they seem to be getting a bit pricey.

EDIT - or if you know of a decent ebay seller i can check out and see if i can get everything I need

Does anybody have a good recommendation for a workshop consumables supplier? cutting discs, spray grease, brake cleaner, cable ties etc etc....

Yeah there are loads of things on ebay but not everywhere I have looked at sells everything I need and to minimise postal costs bumming I prefer to get everything in one hit - assuming they will post to forrin.

I currently have a Beal catalogue here and have used them a lot in the past but they seem to be getting a bit pricey.

EDIT - or if you know of a decent ebay seller i can check out and see if i can get everything I need

Do you not have anywhere local? there must be surely? when I was in Spain there were a couple of Ferreteria (supplies shop) in almost every town, people other than yourself must be fixing stuff over there??

Do you not have anywhere local? there must be surely? when I was in Spain there were a couple of Ferreteria (supplies shop) in almost every town, people other than yourself must be fixing stuff over there??

aye, plenty of places.

Eleven euros for a single aerosol of brake cleaner as opposed to about two quid from Beal. I buy it by the case of 48 tins at a time so thats saving nigh on four hundred euros right off the mark. Slimline cutting discs are over three euros each here as opposed to about 90p each from beal and again I buy 100 or so at a time ....... France is not the place to buy literally anything related to cars.

Is there another internet shop like Beal, they are good and I have been using them for a few years but ever since I moved address my payment never goes through and I have to call them to sort it out but they wont try to fix the problem.

I only keep using them because they are resonably priced and stuff arrives the next day.

aye, plenty of places.

Eleven euros for a single aerosol of brake cleaner as opposed to about two quid from Beal. I buy it by the case of 48 tins at a time so thats saving nigh on four hundred euros right off the mark. Slimline cutting discs are over three euros each here as opposed to about 90p each from beal and again I buy 100 or so at a time ....... France is not the place to buy literally anything related to cars.

Wow, that's crazy, I remember prices being cheap for things like that in Spain, but things like paint for walls being silly expensive, brake cleaner is much cheaper in 5L containers if you can get it, dispense into a pump sprayer and jobs done, can't really help with other recommendations I'm afraid :)

Tell me about driveshafts please folks. A friend of ours is bringing me the Mk1 phase II 1.6 16V Renault Megane I tried to sell on here last year, she's had it since she passed her test and has apparently been mercilessly thrashing it round the potholed roads of SE London since. This has apparently bolloxed the suspension, and by the sounds of it one of the CV joint boots has gone as well, quite possibly the one that was replaced for the last MOT. I'm figuring it will be easier to just replace the whole driveshaft rather than muck about with boot kits, unless you can get a new boot on without draining the gearbox?

Anyway ECP only want 32 quid for a replacement wishbone, so that sounds fine, but they want £180 or £280 depending on the side for a driveshaft, plus the old one in exchange. Meanwhile these lads on ebay are apparently selling them for £28 delivered:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MEGANE-BRAND-NEW-DRIVESHAFT-ABS-O-S-RIGHT-/140268546609#vi-ilComp

Am I missing something here? I assume I am, hence seeking out the stupid questions thread...

Cheers! Dunno what ECP are smoking then. Car's being dropped off in a minute, but I won't get a chance to look at it till tomorrow. Garage have quoted her £500 quid though, so she's prepared to get the bus to work for a few days if I can do it on the cheap...

Im locked out of the music radio on the Zafira.

post-5435-0-94051000-1518792387_thumb.jpg

Seems someone put the wrong code it far too many times. Also I dont have a code.

Do any Vauxhall geniuses know of a way to get around this, or is it just for the skip now?

I dont like the look of the tooling for removal and the slot looks slightly smaller than single din.

post-5435-0-91171700-1518792533_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-17436800-1518792560_thumb.jpg