Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Shifting a car using the starter motor, which gear is best/least likely to cause grief  ? Neet to shift an Omega down the side of my house and it won't run

I'm certainly not pushing 1700kg

I've done this on many occasions and it depends if its uphill or on the level.

If its uphill then agreed with others 1st or second. If not too steep, 3rd.

Also depends on how good the starter and battery are.

What would the usual battery draw on a car when parked? I look after a 2000 530d BMW which flattens the battery if left for a few days, used daily it's fine. 

"Asleep" with boot open but latched and passenger door open but switch held in it draws 0.18A. Too much? Before I start pulling fuses what would be normal? 

16mins for an e39, quite a lot of the 45 fuses under the dash "wake" it up when you put them back in so it was tedious process pulling them one by one to isolate the drain. BMW forum says don't waste your time with boot fuses, none are live in sleep mode. So after I went through the  dash fuses without winning I went to the boot ones and first one dropped it from 0.18A to 0.02A. Bingo. Auxiliary Heater? I didn't even know it had one, the floor guards are all still in place and sure as shit the owner won't miss it with the fuse pulled.

Thanks for the thought, I'm not so good with these Amps, Ohms etc...

0.18A draw depletes a battery by 0.18Ah in an hour. So a 40Ah battery (rough figure) will be completely flat in 222 hours or 9 days. However the reality is, once you go more than around 50-75% discharge the battery won't have enough energy left to start the car. Which would tie in to what you're seeing.

The capacity of a battery will reduce over time as it ages too.

Can anyone recommend a supplier of black and silver pressed plates that are flexible about receiving the documentation?

I would rather not wait a week for the documents to get to them and then have them made but I'm also tight and don't want to spend £50 at the local factors  :-D

EDIT: It would appear that the digital image is suitable for 'documents need to be with us'  :)

I want to tackle the rusty non crunchy blebs on my Rover, what's the best way to do it? Sand it down and whack some rust converter on it or something else?

I've never done this sort of thing before.

Wait until early summer at least before tackling it. Grind it back, rust convertor then fill it over the bare metal. If its not somewhere too visable, stonechip it after you've rust converted it.

Someone I know had to have several months off work, apparently after being run over by their own car. Seemed a bit far fetched, but it can happen and with potentially fatal results. But today they were telling me the details of said accident, which caused my BS alarm to go haywire. It was an automatic BMW (don't know which type, but it would have been a Motability car so nearly new) that they state was left in Park but the electronic handbrake failed and it rolled back.

As far as I know, this would be impossible. Even if the handbrake did fail, I've never heard of a parked automatic jumping out of gear, not to mention it would have then also had to build enough momentum to have knocked them down and gone over their back. They say BMW investigated and found no fault and they can't afford to take legal action. So is there any conceivable way this scenario could happen?

Very modern BMW? Modern auto shifters aren't physically connected to the gearbox. All done electrically. So I could see it plausible if the shifter didn't get the signal to the box. What is more plausible (to me) though is that could have been left in Neutral and the electronic handbrake not left on.