Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Do any mk2 Focuses have climate control?I never see any for sale in Ireland with it, even though more than half of the ones on sale were originally UK registered.Even the Titanium and Ghia models don't seem to be fitted.(I'm looking for a new car for my wife and it's a bit of a deal breaker as she's been used to it for 5 years).

So my Bora has been a right bastard in regards to it's wishbones/ball joints. What a saga. Mechanic has had to cut the bolts off, which is fine and all. However, weirdly, when putting in the old bolt for the drop link to connect to the wishbone, it tightened but then didn't tighten fully. It will continue to turn tightly and that's it. He checked for play, there is none, and he even hit it several times to see if it would come out, which it hasn't. It spins tightly with a ratchet but refuses to move by hand or force. He suspects the very end of the bolt has been damaged slightly. 

Question is, will it be safe? He certainly seems to think so. There was no play whatsoever. 

Do any mk2 Focuses have climate control?I never see any for sale in Ireland with it, even though more than half of the ones on sale were originally UK registered.Even the Titanium and Ghia models don't seem to be fitted.(I'm looking for a new car for my wife and it's a bit of a deal breaker as she's been used to it for 5 years).

Yes. My 09 Titanium had the NAV HIGH option which was a wanky touchscreen satnav (Blaupunkt Travelpilot NX) and the climate controls built in. Could even set temperature by voice, very fancy I guess in 2009.

You could get the climate panel separate which has two little temperate displays in, as my temp was displayed on the big touchscreen. I looked for one of those clusters but they're seriously rare, I only saw two on eBay both from STs that were being broken.

Edit: here's the one with satnav

5618ee0a6fa98757101f23d2f396287b.jpg

And the standalone, much rarer one

3a02f4b71492e52c791ee2b3a7f0e5b0.jpg

So my Bora has been a right bastard in regards to it's wishbones/ball joints. What a saga. Mechanic has had to cut the bolts off, which is fine and all. However, weirdly, when putting in the old bolt for the drop link to connect to the wishbone, it tightened but then didn't tighten fully. It will continue to turn tightly and that's it. He checked for play, there is none, and he even hit it several times to see if it would come out, which it hasn't. It spins tightly with a ratchet but refuses to move by hand or force. He suspects the very end of the bolt has been damaged slightly. 

Question is, will it be safe? He certainly seems to think so. There was no play whatsoever. 

Sounds like the threads may have stretched, probably just due to age and rust. I doubt it's dangerous but may clonk about when the weight of the car and some cornering force is applied. 

I'd be inclined to replace the bolt, but still use the car in the mean time.

The drivers seat would be a serious red flag for me.

Worn through in 47000miles? I would suggest multi drop courier use, constant stop starts, in and out of the van (hence the seat wear), up and down kerbs, and ragged everywhere to an impossible schedule.

Doesn't look like enough body damage to write off a 2015 van

I bet it's as fucked as a thing that's fucked.

Sounds like the threads may have stretched, probably just due to age and rust. I doubt it's dangerous but may clonk about when the weight of the car and some cornering force is applied. 

I'd be inclined to replace the bolt, but still use the car in the mean time.

Ah fuck sake. It's been a total nightmare. He said he could get the bolt out but would have to cut the drop link. He seems to love cutting things.

Once he's sorted the nearside, I'll drive it about and if it clunks, I'll get new drop links and bolts. 

Oh well,if we want a Focus with climate it looks like it will have to be a Volvo S40, thanks for the info.

You can get loads with bog standard air conditioning, they almost always had that. Our fleet special Style models at work, that had wheeltrims and no fancy extras, had Aircon.

Tippex on some numbers between 16 and 28 around the temperature dial, sorted.

^^

True, but in Ireland people tend to switch off a/c from October to April and on many seven year old cars that means it doesn't work.Whereas cars with climate are just left on auto and so are switching on the compressor several times a day for demisting,etc and so tend to work.Her old C5 is 12 years old and the c/c works perfectly and has never even been recharged.

If they are over 60 get them a senior persons railcard and you will get 30% off ALL prices. I usually book with Virgin Rail direct but try to avoid peak time trains. Also try prices for 1st Class as sometimes they are cheaper than standard. Book in advance. I am travelling from Durham to London on 21/10 and returning on 23/10 and I paid £88.40 return for 1st class but I booked these on 9th august. Early bird and all that.

I just looked on UK Auto Trader.Searched for 07-10 Focuses with the added keyword climate.Loads of cars came up with climate in the as title, but a random sample of about 10 shows they all just have plain a/c.Mr Pillock is right, it's definitely rare.

Finding one with working air con in the first place might be your first battle.

I just looked on UK Auto Trader.Searched for 07-10 Focuses with the added keyword climate.Loads of cars came up with climate in the as title, but a random sample of about 10 shows they all just have plain a/c.Mr Pillock is right, it's definitely rare.

What is the difference, I thought it was just marketing speak for the same thing?

How do you measure and gap multi-earth spark plugs? Checked a couple of mine (twin earth prongs) and the gap looks huge (forgot to actually measure it but certainly wasn't the 30 thou it is supposed to be). Can't adjust them much either. Comments?

Iirc you don't. I think if you do, you damage the coating on/metal of the electrodes.

Reading an article of who trades with North Korea, snippet below...

So N Korea import petrol from Russia and Mexico, but export it to Turkey and Burkina Faso.

Can/do N Korea produce petrol "in house", but require more than they can produce so import some? If so, why bother to export fuel? If they didn't then they wouldn't have to import as much.

Or do they import it and sell it on to countries that others won't trade with? Though that doesn't make sense, I'm sure if they will sell fuel to N Korea, Russia and Mexico will sell it to Burkina Faso, for example (Russia to Turkey maybe not).

Confused.

I think it's bad wording by the author, they import oil from Turkey and Burkina Faso (exporters) as well.