Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

I suspect this has been asked about 10000 times so here goes:

A few weeks back my other half said this:

'you know we're going to France next year, you could find an old car to buy out there and drive it back, that'd be fun.'

Yep.

So CT has to be valid etc but how do I ensure I'm insured on said car too? I'm all up for it as long as that's easy enough.

Hopefully it's not a case of don't worry about it, don't get pulled over...

You should be able to phone up your insurer and add it to your policy using the VIN.

I suspect this has been asked about 10000 times so here goes:

A few weeks back my other half said this:

'you know we're going to France next year, you could find an old car to buy out there and drive it back, that'd be fun.'

Yep.

So CT has to be valid etc but how do I ensure I'm insured on said car too? I'm all up for it as long as that's easy enough.

Hopefully it's not a case of don't worry about it, don't get pulled over...

Insure in UK by phone on vin number enjoy wafting round Le France, Gauloises etc. drive back to UK, load onto trailer when you get off ferry for journey home.

UK license holders are not legally permitted to drive a foreign regd vehicle within the uk :(

Id be more worried about driving a French reg car in France without a French insurance policy on it. If the fuzz spot it on the road without a valid windscreen sticker then expect a lot of hassle and I really, really doubt that showing them a UK policy email confirmation on your phone will cut much mustard.

Temporary french insurance here.....

https://www.assurance-voiture-temporaire-provisoire.com

A policy of over 3 days length covers use in any EU country.

I don't think that's true.

Unfortunately it is, I borrowed a Polish regd car to nip to the shops about 1/4 of a mile away in and got a warning not to do it again from the Police who were in the same shop when they realised I was English and I had to get the owner to drive it back. Incidentally his insurance covered anybody to drive the car.

Bit of info here:

http://www.hughesguides.com/foreignvehicles.pdf

@Alabama

Err. Gearboxes on these are as tough as they come. Is 1st easier to get when its warm? Approx in pedal travel where is bite point? Is there a click noise when depressing pedal?

Did you/he change gearbox oil?

Good to know they're hard to break. 1st can be easy or hard from start or when you've been driving, same for reverse.

No clicking noise and the clutch isn't bad, I wouldn't say it's high or needs changing.

I haven't changed the gearbox oil and he said it was full when he checked. Tbh I'm not sure he checked at all as he's really only a welder.

So assuming my Fiesta is all running OK should the water in the expansion tank get warm if the temperature gauge is in normal or is it that the thermostat needs to open and then it flows through?

Until the thermostat opens there will be no flow into the tank, the temp sensor will be before the stat usually, you can sometimes see the temp gauge drop on certain cars when the stat opens.

the gauges on these modern cars are just like a programed indicator , mine will show full temp in like 2 miles and its damn well not , doesnt register its getting too hot either until its about to blow up

as long as all the hose are hot after a decent run then its all good....check the fan operates , but might need a fairly hot day /long wait if its like ours 

Id be more worried about driving a French reg car in France without a French insurance policy on it. If the fuzz spot it on the road without a valid windscreen sticker then expect a lot of hassle and I really, really doubt that showing them a UK policy email confirmation on your phone will cut much mustard.

Temporary french insurance here.....

https://www.assurance-voiture-temporaire-provisoire.com

A policy of over 3 days length covers use in any EU country.

Ah that's very useful. Bookmarked that page.

It's all blue sky thinking of course, but given the other half is quite keen....

Ah that's very useful. Bookmarked that page.

It's all blue sky thinking of course, but given the other half is quite keen....

So lets get this right.

Dave comes from France to England to buy a car, and now tells you how to go from England to France to buy a car.

I see.

Until the thermostat opens there will be no flow into the tank, the temp sensor will be before the stat usually, you can sometimes see the temp gauge drop on certain cars when the stat opens.

Mine is the kind where you can see it drop when it gets hot. Must be running OK, does smell hot though.

the gauges on these modern cars are just like a programed indicator , mine will show full temp in like 2 miles and its damn well not , doesnt register its getting too hot either until its about to blow up

as long as all the hose are hot after a decent run then its all good....check the fan operates , but might need a fairly hot day /long wait if its like ours

Does 1988 count as modern? All the hoses hot as normal. Takes the fan ages to come on, always has so I have a bypass switch if I need it.

Temp sensors are always before the stat, so you'll see the temp come up on that as the water jacket warms. Then the stat opens & mixes cooler water from the rad into the system. You don't often get much flow through the header tank, it's just there to absorb the differences in volume as the water heats and cools.

Check the surface of the rad once the top hose warms up, you should feel all of it heat up roughly evenly. It'll get warm where the top hose joins first but the heat spreads within a few mins.

Celebrate that you actually turned up? Die laughing as you drive away with no brakes, lights and 4 bald tyres?

Wait for you to get five minutes down the road and phone the police lol. I suppose it depends on how road worthy it is, lots of "normal" folk probably would not drive a car if the ABS light came on or something.

Insure in UK by phone on vin number enjoy wafting round Le France, Gauloises etc. drive back to UK, load onto trailer when you get off ferry for journey home.

UK license holders are not legally permitted to drive a foreign regd vehicle within the uk :(

I imported a modern in to the UK a few years ago and insured it on the VIN while going for SVA and all that boring stuff.   Insurance co. knew what I was doing, that was the point of the insurance after all.  

That insurance guide says that UK nationals can't use a foreign registered vehicle on the roads, such vehicles must be immediately registered with the DVLA.   That's fair enough but seems aimed at people driving polish cars for months on end, not eccentrics importing old renners.   Similar to a pre-booked MOT I think you would be spectacularly unlucky to get in any strife driving a French car back from the ferry with it insured on the VIN.  

But I live on The Limit, Vyvyan. The Limit. Because I'm a Rider at the Gates of Dawn and I take no prisoners.

cbcba3ac1586c51ebe9dda25d2ae523b--rik-ma

Unfortunately it is, I borrowed a Polish regd car to nip to the shops about 1/4 of a mile away in and got a warning not to do it again from the Police who were in the same shop when they realised I was English and I had to get the owner to drive it back. Incidentally his insurance covered anybody to drive the car.

Bit of info here:

http://www.hughesguides.com/foreignvehicles.pdf

Is this a recent thing? As I used to drive a US registered VW around for ages, and also a French registered Hire van on more than one occasion.

I got pulled in the VW for running a red light, and given the subsiquent 3 points, but the rozzers had no issue with me driving a vehicle registered in another country.

I need to insure another car as well as my own for about two months. Is there a cheap way of doing this? Day insurance only covers up to 28 days, I looked at pay as you go insurance through these guys computerquoteinsurance.com but as they won't let me use my no claims it works out at just short of £100 a month!

I won't be using it for going anywhere I just need it insured so buyers can test drive it.