Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Try to avoid supermarket fuel in the Reliant. Local good fuel place is closed. Last time i used asda fuel it ran terrible. Put £5 in to get to the next village and top up with decent stuff. Should this be ok?

Can't see it making any difference with such a small amount. I don't really buy the "supermarket fuel is crap" theory although my old Kangoo 1.9D wasn't hugely keen on Morrisons diesel

Just an idiot quicky, the fair wife returned home in the 944 tonight with the oil pressure guage rammed up on the top stop at about 5 bar at tick over.

A quick check revealed the same huge oil pressure with the ignition on, but the engine off.

I diagnose a dodgy guage or sender, am I right?

Or should I worry and not drive it?

Would you worry if it didn't have a gauge?

It has to be the gauge if the pressure is maxed out without the engine running. I think the sender is a variable resistor to earth, so it could just be a short to earth on that wire somewhere.

It's why only the very first MX5 had a real oil pressure gauge. Later ones went to good/bad needles. Then the MK3 went with one that moved based on some parameters to fake it. If the pressure switch detected no pressure, it'd just show minimum.

If you are a bodger like me you can do stretch boots by making a cone shape out of some thin alloy sheeting you have lying around. Cover the edge in gaffa tape to prevent it slicing the boot. Smear it in grease. Sit the boot in a pan of very hot water for a while to soften it.

Its a nightmare though, you end up with grease everywhere and it takes a hell of a lot of force. I havent seen a hole stretch that large since a friends stag night where a ropey old stripper "birthed" a half-size rugby ball onto my lap.

Any suggestions for getting a stretch CV joint boot over a CV joint. Are the cone tools the way to go?

Done a couple of those last month on a Pug 205 using a cone and not removing the inner end from the diff,   Cost under £10 for two boots and the cone kit,   needs a bit of strength and not too difficult when you get the technique right  

My mum thinks she has put the wrong fuel in a '55 plate Belingo 1.6 HDi. She's added about £8 of petrol to 3/4 of a tank of diesel as far as she knows. I'm assuming it's a bad idea to just keep topping it up with diesel & driving it being electronic injection?

Any idea how to tell her to drain it as she's 200 miles from me? Bearing in mind she's retired & my dad is even older.

I wouldn't even think about trying to talk aged parents through draining the tank, the choice is either ignore it or pay somebody to deal with it. I'd be inclined to wing it with the £8 of petrol, even if I was in the same place as the car, that's only about 10% of the tank.

TBH if draining it was any more difficult than poke a hose down the filler then I'd be thinking the same.

We're not even sure she's done it, but she thinks she might have done & it run better after adding another gallon of diesel.