Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

One of our current loveable country scamp visitors in thame threw a bottle at someone from a car, and the reg got put up on facebook. No tax or test obv, although it has insurance but this mot advisory interested me...

Registration number: PF09LDZ

Get MOT reminders by email

Vehicle makeFORD Vehicle modelMONDEO Date first used10 July 2009 Fuel typeDiesel ColourBlack

MOT history of this vehicle

Test date12 July 2016 Expiry date11 July 2017 Test ResultPass Odometer reading169,453 miles MOT test number1987 1207 7134 Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Outer sill damaged but not holed

Offside Front Bumper and wing damaged

Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

No emissions produced on test

How is 'no emissions produced on test' on there? Does that mean the bribe wasn't big enough?

If I wanted to watch the upcoming fight between Mayweather & McGregor while in France, how would be the best was of doing it? we don't mind paying for it but don't want to buy it only for Sky to scramble the signal when it realises it's playing in France. we have a sling box so could happily purchase on sky sports at home and the stream it to us in france, have an I phone, but apple have disabled airpaly and 3 of us around a 4 inch screen is not what I'm going for, I'll also have my have my laptop (surface) with extra HDMI cable for putting on big screen.  I assume someone in france has won the rights to show this but can't find out. 

I

Is buying a cambelt kit without new bolts an issue?

If its for a vag group car then yes - they seem to not have the engineering skill to produce a fastener that will last more than one use .

I wouldnt advise reusing bolts on any of the more modern free floating cam/ crank pulley ( ie no key ways) type engines

Yesterday when I fitted the new washer pump for the rear wash wipe, I kept testing it by forcing it to work on the rear. Rear wiper was moving happily for ages. Weirdly, a few minutes later I tried just the wiper on it's own, refused to move. Washer pump activates when I try the rear wash, but wiper doesn't. Is it going to be a fuse? 

Yesterday when I fitted the new washer pump for the rear wash wipe, I kept testing it by forcing it to work on the rear. Rear wiper was moving happily for ages. Weirdly, a few minutes later I tried just the wiper on it's own, refused to move. Washer pump activates when I try the rear wash, but wiper doesn't. Is it going to be a fuse?

Fuse or relay (if it has one) would be best place to start. Guess it's possible you've killed the motor if you'd had it running ages and it was already on its last legs.

Is a 7 pin trailer socket on a towbar that is firmly attached and the socket itself in good order, but has the wiring disconnected, an MOT failure?

Looking at section 1.9 of the MOT manual it would appear not judging by the towbar specific points 3 and 4, but not clear if it would fail under section 2.

I guess I should really pull my finger out and fit and wire up the new socket I've had for weeks, but life is getting in the way and I doubt I'll have time before the MOT later this month.

Are industrial paint thinners is ok to wash a windscreen with?

There's a screen with creosote speckled all over it that I've been asked to fix.

Old tea shirt, thinners (on glass only), rub like billyo is my plan.

I would try Autoglym intense tar remover first, less chance of damaging anything else.

Thinners will probably work, but only a small amount on a cloth and wipe any runs off.

Is a 7 pin trailer socket on a towbar that is firmly attached and the socket itself in good order, but has the wiring disconnected, an MOT failure?

Looking at section 1.9 of the MOT manual it would appear not judging by the towbar specific points 3 and 4, but not clear if it would fail under section 2.

I guess I should really pull my finger out and fit and wire up the new socket I've had for weeks, but life is getting in the way and I doubt I'll have time before the MOT later this month.

I'd just take the ball and socket off.

Are industrial paint thinners is ok to wash a windscreen with?

There's a screen with creosote speckled all over it that I've been asked to fix.

Old tea shirt, thinners (on glass only), rub like billyo is my plan.

Normal glass cleaner and finest grade wire wool: 0000 grade. Make sure you wash off all the wire wool residue from the gutters/paintwork else rust spots.

If that doesn't work use wire wool and Solvall Spotter

On the subject of lights, why do we still have sidelights now that DRLs are mandatory? My mums '11 V50 blew one for the first time recently but when the DRL laws came about Volvo just made the dipped beam come on with the ignition instead of installing some LED's which just shows how hilariously dim the sidelights are.

The upshot of this is that when turning the headlights on proper it causes the headlights to go:

Dipped beam + sidelights

Sidelights only

Dipped beam + sidelights (but now with the rear lights on).

On the subject of lights, why do we still have sidelights now that DRLs are mandatory? My mums '11 V50 blew one for the first time recently but when the DRL laws came about Volvo just made the dipped beam come on with the ignition instead of installing some LED's which just shows how hilariously dim the sidelights are.

The upshot of this is that when turning the headlights on proper it causes the headlights to go:

Dipped beam + sidelights

Sidelights only

Dipped beam + sidelights (but now with the rear lights on).

My 57 reg Volvo has that set up.

I switch it to the middle (sidelights only) position whenever I drive it in daylight.

I never thought I'd have a car with DRLs, but now I have a Volvo... still I like the glow of them being actual bulbs and not LEDs.

The mother's 58 plate Bini has DRLs that are just the side lights, down low in the unit shared with the fog lights. You can turn them off in the speedo's settings menu, and off they are.

The 60 plate facelift Bini she had didn't have DRLs at all - I think the DRL programming was part of EfficientDynamics that the autos didn't get, as every other facelift Bini I saw has had them on.

My 57 reg Volvo has that set up.

I switch it to the middle (sidelights only) position whenever I drive it in daylight.

Same on my s reg v70.

Sidelights is the only setting that stays on when you get out and wander office,so I don't use that.

That won't happen. DRLs are for people too stupid to turn their lights on in poor visibility.

They're not about poor visibility, that's what headlights are for and why the rear lights come on with them.

In broad daylight, certain groups of people (small children, people with poor eyesight etc) might spot a car with DRLs on where they otherwise might not, but rear lights aren't needed on that instance.

I really don't understand the hatred of making a car more visible, and I wonder if you modify a car's settings to remove the facility and someone drives into you, they could argue that you'd not helped yourself.

Lights don't make a car more visible though, not unless the conditions are dull or dark enough to be able to argue that dipped headlights should be on.

I think drl's are great, even in the middle of a sunny summers day cars can be driving down the tree lined roads on my way to work where dipped beam is necessary as cars just blend into the scenery, and it makes them visible a lot sooner, its a positive safety benefit, as a lot of people don't realise its hard to see cars in certain light conditions at not just at night, there's quite a few luddites on here who think progress is a bad thing, I'm not one of them

as a lot of people don't realise its hard to see cars in certain light conditions at not just at night,

Then they shouldn't be driving, but that'd involve a driving test that only allowed people able to think to drive & the economy would be on the rocks.