Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Blimey, by snail mail according to this..... Looks like you can't do it with the new owner slip off the V5

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn

If the vehicle isn’t registered in your name you’ll have to tell DVLA it’s off the road by post.

This form

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v890-statutory-off-road-notification-sorn

Noo noo noooo...

You CAN just use the green slip. The DiVLA website gives you that exact option. BUT, you have to do it before they process the V5 or your green slip will cease to work.

Looks like they don't offer the dealer I need so I'll need to do some research (I have a tax disc holder but the plates are not original) and contact them

DMB can do anything if you give them an image to work off - my Lex Stourbridge plates and sticker were made by them, from photos of my existing plates I took myself, and a .png of the sticker I found on Google by searching 'lex service'.

The higher quality the better as they'll go to even the slightest detail, quality job.

My track tyres are directional and the nearside ones are more worn than the offside - would it be asking for trouble to bung them on the opposite sides next time ?

If the tyre looks like this, definatelly:

1848.jpg

If the tyre looks like this, you might get away with it, but there's no guarantee:

uniroyal-rain-expert.jpg

Guest Hooli

Is a battery powered trickle charger a thing that exists? Like the little lipo jump starters but for maintaining a battery's charge without mains power?

never heard of one & as you need a higher voltage to charge a battery than the battery outputs they wouldn't run off  a car battery anyway.

I know you can get solar ones, sling it by a window/on the roof?

I use a solar panel to keep my Chrysler Voyager's old battery up to the task ..because the vehicle tends to be used only once a week, and only for a local journey. It then sits there for the rest of the week with its electronics doing whatever they do..  The solar panel sits on the dash with its leads through the passenger side rubber door seals to under the bonnet. 

I was thinking about this the other day, re. using it all the time anyway, because recharging the battery must absorb energy while running, and that can only be derived from the fuel I put in it.. So why not let the solar panel do that for free. ?

Bfg.

Fuel consumption. Am I doing it wrong, or does everyone else lie?

I get ~ 35mpg from my VAG tdi. Internet wisdom (including here) suggests that this is piss-poor (dunt matter how I drive it m9, still get 50mpg).

This is the current vehicle, previous, differently engined vehicles have been similarly (apparently) below par.

Do people really exaggerate their MPGs on the internets to look like big men? Or am I just bad at driving? Or when other people say they're 'driving it like they stole it', do they mean 'very carefully, so as not to attract police attention'?

Fuel consumption. Am I doing it wrong, or does everyone else lie?I get ~ 35mpg from my VAG tdi. Internet wisdom (including here) suggests that this is piss-poor (dunt matter how I drive it m9, still get 50mpg).This is the current vehicle, previous, differently engined vehicles have been similarly (apparently) below par.Do people really exaggerate their MPGs on the internets to look like big men? Or am I just bad at driving? Or when other people say they're 'driving it like they stole it', do they mean 'very carefully, so as not to attract police attention'?

The pic attached is the fuel consumption for my Fabia 100bhp 1.9 tdo PD over the last 11705 miles.

I tend to do about 75% trips over 10 miles, 25% under 10 miles.

I get 61/62 on a long run at 70mph, and get about 45 -50 on short hops depending on traffic. The only way I have ever got down to an indicated 35mpg was when I was drag racing.

Have you checked the usual suspects? Tyre pressures/dragging brake/clogged fuel filter?

Hasb it had a timing belt done recently, and the pump timing is out?

Even driven enthusiastically I'd expect 40mpg round town, and 48-53mpg on a run

post-17572-0-34367900-1496276225_thumb.png

Although you don't specify what model the car is that is awful. What sort of use does the car get? If it's a big auto doing lots of small trips it's perhaps understandable but still terribly disappointing.

It's a Q3 quattro, so I wasn't expecting OMGMPGS, but previous cars have also returned well below the figures bandied around on the internet. I've had a few XUD-equipped Citroens which have disappointed too. I say disappointed, but I still have eighties expectations-anything over 30mpg is economical.

I think the answer is probably just to stop worrying about it.

Guest Hooli

Some people just can't seem to drive economically though

That by the sounds of it.

Tends to be the drivers who are always comfort braking who get crap MPG in my experience. Mind you Robin's location says Wales, so if it's all uphill then I doubt it's too bad. If you want good MPG, live in Norfolk - they had a hill once, but the mole killer flattened it.

It's a Q3 quattro, so I wasn't expecting OMGMPGS, but previous cars have also returned well below the figures bandied around on the internet. I've had a few XUD-equipped Citroens which have disappointed too. I say disappointed, but I still have eighties expectations-anything over 30mpg is economical.I think the answer is probably just to stop worrying about it.

Has it been interfered with post emissions fraud scandal? Isn't that supposed to bugger them up?

We have a Freelander2 with the Mondeo 2.2 and 6 speed box which has never done better than 30 mpg in 4 years. People with the same engine in Mondeos get 50/60 mpg and it can't be driving style because I drive it quite a lot especially in FrenchFrance and I manage ok figures from my other cars, but still can't get it above 30, although I admit Mrs N is a bit lead footed.

R.e. gear lockup, it locks up in 3rd, 4th and 5th (not 1st and 2nd though). However this means you get excellent fuel economy out of it, as once it's changed gears, it locks up.

For anyone who doesn't know what a automatic gearbox lock up is, it's a clutch inside the torque converter. When it engages, it causes the output of the engine to be directly engaged with the input of the auto box. Thus you don't get any losses through the torque converter - which is the thing that causes auto boxes to use more fuel. When it's locked up, it's effectively like a manual transmission.

...of the Goona's auto transmission on another thread - didn't really want to hi-jack.

Any idea how the box in an XJ-8 works?

It appears to slip to buggery in all ratios, pulling away from slow roundabouts in fourth gear and the changes being slushier than a slushy thing.

It's a bit notchier in 'sport' and you can feel it change down?

As always, thanks in anticipation.

I've been offered a 2003 Volvo v70 2.5T AWD as a swap for the Cadillac. It's not a cross country and not an R. It got 119k on it.

Anyone know anything about them and their relative value? I can see plenty of v70's for sale but no 2.5T AWD ones!

Guest Hooli

I like the AWD ones, much more fun than the normal FWD.

But I only drove them when new, so my knowledge is a bit out of date.

I've been offered a 2003 Volvo v70 2.5T AWD as a swap for the Cadillac. It's not a cross country and not an R. It got 119k on it.

Anyone know anything about them and their relative value? I can see plenty of v70's for sale but no 2.5T AWD ones!

They're well known for shitting bits of the awd system and needing to be made fwd (like a freelander)

Vented battery.... My daily has a now rogered, vented battery in the boot. Is it paramount that I replace it with another vented one? I've read that batteries give off hydrogen with use, although some suggest it may be ok with a non-vented battery. Brand new, OEM spec jobs are £100+, whereas a decent (non-vented) second hand replacement is way less.

Depends,what level of PITA would a flat battery be in the near future if you go for a used 1?

Plus,what is the daily?

Some cars (looking at you Land Rover) you wouldn't want to skimp on a cheap battery......

Daily is a 'modern' ten year old e90 Bimmer with a two litre 4 pot tdi. It's not got stop start or any of that shiz.

I'm not known for keeping cars for years hence being happy enough with a good used battery. However, a little unsure of this whole vented/non-vented thing...