Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

It was on here bloke with a recovery truck was pulled ended up going to court (can't remember if it was a circuit car or single seater) the judge said as he wasn't paided to race (i.e. was an amateur) & even if he was the champion in his field if he didn't win he would receive no payment.

The money was a prize & no different to playing the lottery.

Unlike a professional driver/ racer who'd be paided even if he didn't race.

He had a letter from the court stating the above verdict for future occasion.

The law was recently changed re towing unloaded trailers after the guy was done for towing an unloaded car trailer that was within the towing capacity but was done as the trailers gross (when loaded) exceeded the towing capacity of the car on the grounds that he "might have been going to overload it" even though he was returning the empty trailer after doing the job with appropriate vehiyou'd

After many years in & around the motor trade Inc recovery I like to keep as up-to-date as possible on the goings on that occur.

Unfortunately not being good with pc's can't remember the topic/s.

As for rest of your reply if youd like to repost it in English I might be able to reply.

Here's a thread which may be the one we're talking about -

http://autoshite.com/topic/13365-should-i-buy-a-recovery-truck-or/?p=409519

I ran winter tyres all year (Michelin Alpin) on my ZT-T until the OMGHGF - they were fine, even at the height of summer.

The Disco wears Scorpions (on about it's 5th set I think) with no problem - they are M+S rated so have a degree of winter capability.

If it gets so bad a Rangie on Pirelli Scopions is having trouble, the entire nation will be at a standstill, so I wouldn't bother.

OTOH - I guess having two sets spreads the wear a bit for what that's worth.

OTOH - I guess having two sets spreads the wear a bit for what that's worth.

The downside to this is having to change tyres that aren't worn out, just perished due to age (t-shirt anyone?)

As a side.note, the latest awful Japanese thing came with a set of Michelin Lassitude all seasons and also an original never-been-on-the-road 8 year old Yokohama G91A spare. One of the Michelins got a puncture, so the Yoko went on. I was expecting to slide about on it but it's fine. I certainly wouldn't trust the Michelins at that age (helping out in my mate's tyre place really showed me how badly they age). It's still on there too.

I'd definitely go for the Yoko's when I need to replace the Michelins, sadly nobody imports them to Croatia.

Is it the seperate fob and key jobbie with LUCAS on the back?

This guy will send you a little programmer box - http://www.remotekey.co.uk/mg/mg-zr-key-fob/ - £75 plus a deposit to program a new key which he supplies

This chap charges a third of that - https://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/mg-rover-5as-alarm-ecu-services/ - but you have to send him your ECU and you supply the keyfob(s)

There's no sequence of button presses with keys in doors and fingers up your nose to program the keys, gotta be done through the ECU (my Seat was a key in the door, one in the ignition, turn this one that way and press this button etc etc). That said, wasn't someone on here selling some Rover ECU software - maybe that does it?

Tis the all in one key with buttons. Has Valeo on the back. Have even got a blank key that needs cutting, but no electronic innards or any joy from any of the usual places. Can't be done, you need to go to a BMW dealer (as BMW owned MG Rover at the time of course) being the common response. They can't even cut the key so it can open a door. BMW charge £140 for a new key it seems.

Does it consistently stay below 6degrees C where you live for the 3 months or so of winter?

If so, buy winter tyres for the spare rims and then put summer or all-season tyres on the main rims in March/April time.

If your winter consists of lots of warm days then buy more scorpions as driving on winter tyres on a 10 degree day is like wearing trifles instead of shoes.

I've not understood winter tyres have I? Assumed they were for pissing rain conditions, not Arctic shit, so with the Scorpions being not just any tyre but M+S tyres  I'll do a wind of change for a fresh set.

Problem is, I wouldn't know a good wet performer if one jumped me whilst trolling mumsnet because I do bottle it and slow down in the rain.

I've not understood winter tyres have I? Assumed they were for pissing rain conditions, not Arctic shit, so with the Scorpions being not just any tyre but M+S tyres  I'll do a wind of change for a fresh set.

Problem is, I wouldn't know a good wet performer if one jumped me whilst trolling mumsnet because I do bottle it and slow down in the rain.

Six degrees "arctic shit" !

You're a long way south of here, do they speak French round your way?

On the subject of winter tyres, why are mine rubbish?

Just put them on last night, they are Bridgestone Blizzak with plenty tread, I bought them second hand but I don't think they're that old. 

On my way to work I've had loss of grip on the rear going through a mini-roundabout fairly slowly, and the fronts locking up under medium braking. 

The temperature here is 5°C and the roads were mostly dry.

Are they going to be loads better if it snows or am I on for a fiery death?

If id like to sell a car for £500 or so on Fleabay what's my options and what's it likely to cost me? Never sold anything big like that so bit of an unknown...

Prepare for a world of pain and misery with idiots, time wasters mad deal backer outers a plenty. I would only consider doing it as a fixed ad as had so many issues with auctions.

On the subject of winter tyres, why are mine rubbish?

Just put them on last night, they are Bridgestone Blizzak with plenty tread, I bought them second hand but I don't think they're that old. 

On my way to work I've had loss of grip on the rear going through a mini-roundabout fairly slowly, and the fronts locking up under medium braking. 

The temperature here is 5°C and the roads were mostly dry.

Are they going to be loads better if it snows or am I on for a fiery death?

How old are they? Tyres have dates on them, plus if they've been stored in a poor environment(not in the dark) or exposed to chemicals or chemical vapour they can go off like a week old souffle, they still look ok cosmetically but secretly and sneakily turn into ditchfinders. This seems to be exacerbated by winter tyres being softer compound.

£15 for a 30 day classified ad

Yes, there is no other way to sell a car on ebay, an auction is shite as you'll get all the muppets and a buy it now gets the twats pressing buy it now then disappearing off the face of the earth, only you can end the classified ad, once the buyer has picked the car up and you have the cash in your hand, its the only way.

How old are they? Tyres have dates on them, plus if they've been stored in a poor environment(not in the dark) or exposed to chemicals or chemical vapour they can go off like a week old souffle, they still look ok cosmetically but secretly and sneakily turn into ditchfinders. This seems to be exacerbated by winter tyres being softer compound.

This.

Check tyre date codes on the sidewall.

post-3942-0-94939100-1478632264_thumb.jpg

What kit do people generally take on collections? I'm having to resort to the train amongst filthy commoners so I'd ideally pack light.

I'd take a spare 12v battery if I was you.  And maybe a spare, spare battery too.  Jump leads you can wrap around you like a Sam Brown belt of spare bullets.  A "snap-on" type mega-sized mobile tool-chest would be good, and as it's on wheels, it'll be easy to push around.  A couple of Jerry cans of fuel might be useful as it saves stopping on the way home.

Good luck!

XM Coolant - this stuff ok?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/blue-antifreeze/?523770501&0&cc5_865

there is currently only tap water in as I wanted to confirm I had fixed the leak, and I'm planning on replacing the radiator too.

Need to sort this sooner rather than later as the weather is starting to get very cold