Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Coincidentally, I was coming on this thread to ask a very similar question about my Santa Fe.

At first I thought it must be low on fluid, but if wasn't. Sometimes the pedal won't fully return which made me think master cylinder, but my main suspicion is the pressure plate. I think it might be a Hyundai thing.

I'm contemplating replacing the fluid first to eliminate that before spending lots of dosh.

He called in this morning as he couldn't make it to work as he now can't select any gears, so he's going to start it in 2nd and limp round to his local garage. I will let you know what was faulty

So, managed to get a price of £150 for the full system supply only, including VAT and hangers and gaskets and whatnot, I can then undertake fitting myself, even if it take a whole weekend to do it still isn't £250 of work (vs the original quote) for me.

Tyres wise, I'll look to get a pair of part-worns for the front wheels only - the rears still have some meat on them and I've had 35k out of this full set. There is probably  5-8k more in the rears. As mrs_Stanky only does about 5k a year a full brand new set would likely outlast her! I'll see what the local part-worn place can do.

So, managed to get a price of £150 for the full system supply only, including VAT and hangers and gaskets and whatnot, I can then undertake fitting myself, even if it take a whole weekend to do it still isn't £250 of work (vs the original quote) for me.

Tyres wise, I'll look to get a pair of part-worns for the front wheels only - the rears still have some meat on them and I've had 35k out of this full set. There is probably 5-8k more in the rears. As mrs_Stanky only does about 5k a year a full brand new set would likely outlast her! I'll see what the local part-worn place can do.

Start tonight by dosing any nuts than need to be undone with Penol or something as good repeat tomorrow night then Saturday before attempting to remove them.

I've fitted exhausts on the driveway before and it's a right fucker unless you've a ramp. If it's the whole system you are replacing I'd weigh in with the grinder and cut it off. I'd use windy gun on the flexi to manifold nuts. Forget undoing them with a ratchet.

I'd seriously see if you know anyone with a two post lift to have a go at this. It's a pain in the neck doing it on the drive.

Fake price scamming on ebay, how does that work? I was looking at an ad and the car was listed at about £12k but the seller was warning that a scam ad existed and had the same car listed at about £5k

Wire transfer scams etc - £5k car you need to have delivered to you and western union the £5k to them 

Wire transfer scams etc - £5k car you need to have delivered to you and western union the £5k to them

As in, I transfer £5k payment bargain price for a car unseen which they obviously don't have? Is anyone so gullible to fall for that? Makes selling magic beans seem complicated.

It was on here bloke with a recovery truck was pulled ended up going to court (can't remember if it was a circuit car or single seater) the judge said as he wasn't paided to race (i.e. was an amateur) & even if he was the champion in his field if he didn't win he would receive no payment.

The money was a prize & no different to playing the lottery.

Unlike a professional driver/ racer who'd be paided even if he didn't race.

He had a letter from the court stating the above verdict for future occasion.

The law was recently changed re towing unloaded trailers after the guy was done for towing an unloaded car trailer that was within the towing capacity but was done as the trailers gross (when loaded) exceeded the towing capacity of the car on the grounds that he "might have been going to overload it" even though he was returning the empty trailer after doing the job with appropriate vehiyou'd

After many years in & around the motor trade Inc recovery I like to keep as up-to-date as possible on the goings on that occur.

Unfortunately not being good with pc's can't remember the topic/s.

As for rest of your reply if youd like to repost it in English I might be able to reply.

Are the Ibiza's that shit? I've just re-read my post and want to clarify that I've not listed the issues with the exact cars we're going to look at, just common issues for those models :)

The Ibiza looks like its been tarted up with every trick in the book in the photos so I'm expecting it to be a pup anyway...

Ibizas are really nasty inside and are VAG shite so a fail fail imo

As for rest of your reply if youd like to repost it in English I might be able to reply.

If you are referring to Bailii that has records of English court cases. If the case exists at a high enough court, Bailii will have a report or transcript of the hearing. http://www.bailii.org/

e.g. http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2015/402.html

Having only one key for the MG ZT, and it only works when it wants on the buttons I need a spare! Internet wisdom suggests these are only available new from BMW at ££££'s. Does anyone know of an aftermarket (cheaper) supplier?

Is it the seperate fob and key jobbie with LUCAS on the back?

This guy will send you a little programmer box - http://www.remotekey.co.uk/mg/mg-zr-key-fob/ - £75 plus a deposit to program a new key which he supplies

This chap charges a third of that - https://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/mg-rover-5as-alarm-ecu-services/ - but you have to send him your ECU and you supply the keyfob(s)

There's no sequence of button presses with keys in doors and fingers up your nose to program the keys, gotta be done through the ECU (my Seat was a key in the door, one in the ignition, turn this one that way and press this button etc etc). That said, wasn't someone on here selling some Rover ECU software - maybe that does it?

Jumped in my mates Pug 405 dizzler to move it ...

Reversed 10 yards and pulled up the handbrake only for it to come straight up with no resistance....

Have I snapped the H/b cable or has something popped out??

And if I need to replace the cables is it a PITA to do ?

All suggestions / piss takes gratefully received.... 

Fake price scamming on ebay, how does that work? I was looking at an ad and the car was listed at about £12k but the seller was warning that a scam ad existed and had the same car listed at about £5k

The seller's also like to take deposits so they can hold the vehicle for you, and seeing as it's cheap, know the gullible will send one on a £12k vehicle up for £6k. Bye bye deposit ( or several on the same one).

Winter tyre query, the rubbers on my old Rangie are getting low, plenty of life left but just at the point I'd like to change them early what with winter coming and all. Question is, as I have a spare set of wheels, should I get a set of winter jobbies? Further question would be which tyres? New tyres now have this rating thing stating fuel economy and wet grip, a bit like new fridges, I'm inclined to disregard such bollocks as I'm fairly sure heeding the fridge advice would lead to some clattery leaky self combusting donk whose door randomly swings open. Any recommendations that would improve over another set of Pirelli Scorpions appreciated.

Does it consistently stay below 6degrees C where you live for the 3 months or so of winter?

If so, buy winter tyres for the spare rims and then put summer or all-season tyres on the main rims in March/April time.

If your winter consists of lots of warm days then buy more scorpions as driving on winter tyres on a 10 degree day is like wearing trifles instead of shoes.