Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Maybe it's something to do with a rough surface being harder to effectively paint, plus welding producing a small amount of oxidation that needs removing.

I often think of the medieval sculptor who didn't bother finishing the back of statues because nobody could see them. "Ah, but God can see everything" they said, before cutting his balls off.

Anyone know anything about VW auto boxes? My 1996 Golf MK3 1.8 auto could use a fluid change I think but doesn't appear to have a dipstick so I assume it's "sealed for life"

I don't know the specifics of your golfs auto box, but some autoboxes have their level set by a fill hole. Basically fill it up till it overflows. That Scenic you had was a combined drain and level bolt. Remove the inner part for level, remove the outer part to drain.

Given the age, it's probably a bit early for sealed for life nonsense.

Thank you sir. It's a lovely little car and I'd like to keep it going as long as possible so I'll be very careful with any fluid change

At the moment when it is stone cold it will sometimes struggle when you slow down at a roundabout and then pull away again without a full stop - massive clunk back into first. Apart from that it drives great and it's literally only for the first few hundred metres when it's very cold

further investigation suggests the dates might have been printed on the inside? Similar Kumho powershift on the rear is 2008.

Change the front one on the Mondeo anyway before winter for new ditchfinder?

post-20084-0-06150800-1477145976_thumb.jpg

In feb this year i fitted a pair of Osram night breaker unlimited to the x-trail.

This afternoon i noticed one had blown,lasting 8 month in normal usage.

Any of you lot had such a short lifespan out of these bulbs?

Yep, paid nearly 20 quid for a set and had about the same amount of time out of one of them, and you can't just keep one in as its so much brighter than normal bulbs. still standard bulbs are cheap

Years ago I used to fit 100/80 bulbs when I bought a car. One of them would always blow after a few months and be replaced with one of the standard bulbs I'd taken out. I could never tell which was which when I was running with one of each.

I prefer Silver Star to Nightbreakers. Nightbreakers make ludicrous performance claims and they cheat by using a blue tint to make the light seem brighter. Silver Stars are cheaper, a bit more honest and last as long as a standard bulb.

further investigation suggests the dates might have been printed on the inside? Similar Kumho powershift on the rear is 2008.

Change the front one on the Mondeo anyway before winter for new ditchfinder?

attachicon.gifIMG_20161022_151105.jpg

Tyre dates are usually only on one sidewall. Kumho are a good tyre at the price for me, I've had loads down the years.

There was a bit on a consumer programme on TV recently , where the Police and Trading Standards were confiscating hundreds of boxes of fake Osram bulbs, mostly Xenon D1&2 , I think.

i wouldn't have thought there was enough profit in fake Halogen bulbs, but you never know.....

A couple of years ago there was a load of fake oils discovered and I thought that was a bit unlikely!