Multipla. Should I?!

djoptix

Mrs Optix is fed up with Bertie the Berlingo. There isn't quite enough room to get the three miniOptixes side by side in the back, because of new fangled car seats and that.

So I've been looking at cars that are wide enough to get three across the back, with room for buggy/school stuff. There don't seem to be many about - Zafira (shudder), Touran (scene tax), etc. How about the more recent Multipla - 2004 onwards - bland, obviously, but any thoughts other than that?

Mk1s are actually brilliant. In 50 years time they're gonna be all over those 'greatest cars of the century' features along with Twingos, and, er... a couple of other things. The five or six still running will be highly sought after collector's pieces and people on Autoshite3.0.com will post wistful threads about their missed opportunities to have bought one 'when they were cheap'.

Mk2, tho. Meh.

Discussed elsewhere on these pages, we've had a proper funny face Multipla JTD with the twin sunroofs for 7 excellent years. Genuinely trouble free and genuinely so good to drive for what it is that it has become the family workhorse and given us 75k of trustyness, bought on 100k. EVERYTHING STILL WORKS.

Replaced it twice, first by an Avantime (reliability disaster) and a Honda FRV (inferior in every respect apart from the dash, and so rotten underneath our fingers went through the sill). Thankfully the Multipla was mothballed and resurrected

Go JTD ELX if you do

Trouble is finding one worth having now, as they are all worn out

WP-20150731-001.jpg

Do remember, they were a budget car even when new. Comparing interiors to FR-V not fair when they were a third more to buy

I've got one which will be for sale shortly.

Pros:

Actually a decent steer - they are based on the Stilo I think which is parented off the Tipo platform which spawned the alfa 147/156.

Decent on fuel

Easy to park as they are widish but short

All 6 seats are adult size and can accommodate proper child seats

Clever packaging, eg doors/door cards are quite thin to give space for the seats.

Diesel engines generally solid and reliable

Cons:

Boot not that great - you can move the rear seats forward a couple of inches to make it bigger but if you have a large buggy, you won't get much else in there

Mk2 specific - diesels have dpf with accompanying problems

Rear seat belt access isn't the best for kids in booster seats

Overall they ars good cars but it's definitely a choice between people and stuff. With the back seats out the space is van sized, but with them in its similar to a hatchback.

Just depends how much stuff you need on a regular basis, we don't use a buggy so it wasn't too bad.

If you're anywhere near West Yorkshire you're welcome to have a poke round mine, or even to buy it - it's a 2009 115JTD which is still tested for a couple of months but will deffo need work for the next one.

Just buy a Eurovan 2

Fiat Flavour ( with the 2.0HDi from PSA)

Mrs Womble childminds and can vouch that they will take 3 full size modern child seats in the middle row without breaking a sweat.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811202604084?advertising-location=at_cars&make=FIAT&model=ULYSSE&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=12000&postcode=pr55jd&sort=price-asc&minimum-seats=7&radius=1500&transmission=Manual&page=1

36ad9bb306f04efc9e22c1e1602b1e03.jpg

I can't believe nobody's said this:  There's no need to even ask, whatever the car.  This is Autoshite.  The answer is always YES!

People who ask these questions are always going to get whatever it is they're asking about, they're just looking for confirmation/someone else to blame when they do :lol: