Dutch spots - UK spots actually this time...

michiel

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

It's been a while since I took a pic of anything... first up not a car but a nice shopfront that was probably hidden behind upvc for decades:

7110416767_07ff7aea73_c.jpg

Gebr. de Winter, Javastraat Amsterdam by Michiel V, on Flickr

Then a scruffy C GT:

6964338070_399c229e50_c.jpg

MGC GT 1968 (AL-33-83) by Michiel V, on Flickr

7110413215_81b3255542_c.jpg

MGC GT 1968 (AL-33-83) by Michiel V, on Flickr

and lastly a shitey Audi 60L on LPG:

7110412509_79ced77f8e_c.jpg

Audi 60L 1972 (85-35-ZU) by Michiel V, on Flickr

6964338804_838420e960_c.jpg

Audi 60L 1972 (85-35-ZU) by Michiel V, on Flickr

Will probably be continued somewhere in 2013...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A Wankel engine - so it was even more unreliable and thirsty I guess... wiki:

A two rotor GS was launched in 1973. Dubbed the Citroën GS Birotor (also called Citroën GZ), it featured a 107 PS (79 kW) Wankel birotor produced by the joint NSU-Citroën Comotor project. This style of motor is noted for its smooth power delivery which complemented the luxurious ride quality of the hydropneumatic suspension. The Birotor was extensively reengineered, besides for the Comotor 624 engine. Discs all around (ventilated in front), different wheels with a five-bolt pattern rather than three, and a three-speed semi-automatic transmission were combined with a more luxurious interior and flared fenders to set the Birotor apart from its lesser siblings. Sadly, the Birotor was placed in the uncomfortable position of costing more than the larger, faster, more economical and less complex Citroën DS which quickly sealed its fate.

The Birotor version achieved poor sales and was quickly pulled from the market after 847 units sold. It was not economical for its size and was launched during the 1973 oil crisis.

The sales and quality were so disappointing that Citroën attempted to buy back and scrap each Birotor, as it did not want to support the model with spare parts. A few of these remarkable vehicles have nonetheless survived in the hands of collectors, many without titles for some time as Citroën did not want to recognize the cars.

800px-Birotor_GS.jpg

Indeed. A great spot. It's one thing seeing three of them at an actual Citroen show, but to see one in the 'wild' must be a major event!

What I hadn't realised until I spent a while gawping under the bonnet is that these have a transverse engine - which might explain why the front track is wider (hence the wheelarch extensions). It's no wonder Citroen went bankrupt when they were making serious efforts to put stuff like this into production. Mechanically, it must share almost nothing with the basic GS at the front end! They were also investigating a triple-rotor engine for the CX apparently and even built a wankel-powered helicopter!

Listen to this thing rev. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gouuwF2zpDs

Incredible spot with the Birotor. VA - you also tell a Birotor apart from a normal GS by its ride height (they look like a normal GS with the suspension set all the way up) and they're nearly all a sandy platinum \ gold colour. The wheels and hubcaps were unique to the model as well. 107 brake's quite a jump from the 60 odd the rest of the GS range was running - the largest they went to was 1220 cc. The GSA had a larger engine, a truly batshit dashboard - and a hatchback bootlid. The boot on a GS is weird. The whole square panel inboard of the rear light clusters hinges up on struts. The rear screen stays where it is.

Oh aye, and they sound like an RX-7 farting through a dustbin. Truly a remarkable sound. They also have a mad transverse exhaust can back box not unlike an Ariel Atom's.

In other news, MGBs and Cs look the tits on steel wheels with caps. I'm sick of this wire wheel \ Moto Lita bollocks with Bs and Cs - bring back the massive black Bakelite wheel that's totally inappropriate for a sportscar and should have gone on the ZB Magnette instead.

• 5 months later...

On the motorway, while I was driving a new Transit, I spotted this 100A with a beardy hipster at the wheel. Stupidly I (and by that I mean my co-driver of course) dropped the camera between the seats but I (he) managed to find it in time and not crash into anything.

8469504995_b1ae6fc35e_b.jpg

I'd really like one of those little Datsuns but something in my mind say's I'd be horribly disappointed if I did get one.... :mrgreen:

Me too, I love the green one that's currently on eBay. I'm reliably informed they're shit to drive but very sweet nonetheless!

I'd really like one of those little Datsuns but something in my mind say's I'd be horribly disappointed if I did get one.... :mrgreen:

Me too, I love the green one that's currently on eBay. I'm reliably informed they're shit to drive but very sweet nonetheless!

Yeah a mate of mine had one many moons ago that had the structural form of a tea bag but I thought it looked really cool :)

• 8 months later...