Dutch spots - UK spots actually this time...

michiel

phew...just gone through all 28 pages of this, you've got some top stuff round your manor.surprised by the cat on form/ blood red shoes reference, didn't realise shitty local bands made an impact in holland!

Cheers!We had a gig with blood red shoes in Bardens Boudoir (iirc) and with another band we played with cat on form at The Garage in London a few years before that; guy in my (now dormant) band had contacts with a lot of UK bands.
Hey Michiel, what is/was your band called? Have been at a million gigs (yes that is quite a lot) round Utrecht (Acu etc) and Am'Dam (Occii etc) in the past years...And 10 zillion in UK...

• 3 weeks later...

1988 Vanette:

Posted Image

1973 Beetle:

Posted Image

Snorian:

Posted Image

Posted Image

First snow of the year 'caused' 670km of traffic jams this morning...

Noticed the Cadillac taillights today, thought they'd make a nice pic - even with a phonecam.

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I thought this had been dumped outside work, didn't move for a week, then suddenly it was gone. Saw it drive closer to home later that day!

Posted Image

Posted Image

White pearl paint, bodykit, tinted glass and white leather interior... 80s P I M P innit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just looking at the reg plates on these Dutch motors...they all are made up of either 2 number /4 letter or 4 number /2 letter derivations. It looks like the older cars have 2 number-2number-2 letter and the more modern stuff 2 letter-2 letter-2 number.Can anyone enlighten me on what info can be gleaned from these ? i.e year of registration/ area etc.Useful for any future trips t' continent!!

You can enter the plate here:

https://www.rdw.nl/Ovi/Paginas/Default.aspx

and if it's still registered you'll get the info - go to 'historie' to see:

Datum eerste toelating - date of first registration anywhere in the world

Datum aanvang laatste tenaamstelling - date when it was put in the name of the current owner

Datum eerste afgifte Nederland - date of first registration in Holland to see if it's a later import (as many of my spots are).

In short: AB-00-00 series ran from 1951 till 1965

00-00-AB: 1965 - 1973

00-AB-00: 1973 - 1978

AB-00-AB: 1978 - 1991

AB-AB-00: 1991 - 1999

00-AB-AB: 1999 - 2008

01-GBB-1 and on from may 2008.

I was overtaken on the A1 at Wetherby today by an Audi. Great big barge it was. It had that last style of dutch number plate on it. I noted it as i've not seen that format before.......Now I know :)

• 1 month later...

Finally took two shitty pics of these two Citroëns that live near family in the east of Holland. Faked old (1983) 2CV & a 1979 Dyane on LPG with a Burton body. The 2CV has holes everywhere... but still road legal. They always make me smile.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice shots ProgRocker, I hardly ever go to the town center so they're new to me! I doubt the VW & Wartburg pic was taken in Amsterdam though?

Went for a ride in the Flo yesterday and spotted this cute Autobianchi for sale:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shame the front's not complete...

Today's walk had me grinning over this 1978 Chevrolet Vandura 'CG 21305' (according to the offial records), in Holland since 1979.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I uploaded biggish pics to Flickr, too big to post comfortably, so bogger versions are viewable on my stream.

& a 1979 Dyane on LPG with a Burton body

Cool - I'm right into my LPG fired classics and wonder how they adapted the gas system to an air cooled engine (I know the various possible methods but I'd be keen on seeing the installer's approach.)Running a teeny 2 cyl Citroen A series engine on LPG would be the most intense cheapness you could get I think and I'm definitely going to convert the restoration 2CV to gas.Question2: why is LPG so popular in NL? AFAIK, it is taxed much higher than a standard unconverted classic. Though I could be wronger than a Conservative voter there.

Finally took two shitty pics of these two Citroëns that live near family in the east of Holland. Faked old (1983) 2CV & a 1979 Dyane on LPG with a Burton body. The 2CV has holes everywhere... but still road legal. They always make me smile.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I LOVE that 2CV. Autoshite personified 8)

Question2: why is LPG so popular in NL? AFAIK, it is taxed much higher than a standard unconverted classic. Though I could be wronger than a Conservative voter there.

Firstly: all cars from before 1987 are or will become road tax exempt after 25 years (they will stop the rolling exemption in 2011), indepent of the fuel used, so LPG and over 25 years old is mega cheap. Secondly: LPG is around 0.60 euro/l, petrol around 1.55 at the moment - so if you do enough km in a newer car... for my car at anything over 15000 km annually I could save money (and have no luggage space left), but I only do half that...