Fiat X1/9

Fabergé Greggs

20 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Very kind of you! Is it a CSC one? I worry that it would be a bit droney if it is. 

No, it’s the Eurosport “sports” one.  Was a bit blowy at 4500 rpm but was on my car for 11 years. It was all that was available at the time.  Its been quite bearable at an indicated 80mph, and gets quieter after this point. Max I’ve had was showing 100, at which point the front was getting noticeably light. Drove across France to Alsace with it eight years ago, a bit buzzy but fun.

New original spec shape is now £174! The huge stainless one on the pic is weirdly a lot more subdued but has a rather nice tone.

I kept the broken one for my friend to weld up in case the stainless one was too loud. In fact I love the new one so was about to Chuck the broken one. It’s not actually rusted, just sheared the braket.

https://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=Exhaust&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=1&zenid=f871a9d75ecab8863b45b0939a77bbf9

If you want it, you can have it. Free to collect.

• 3 months later...
On 1/4/2020 at 1:36 PM, Fabergé Greggs said:

a tickle with the sparkly stick.. I’ve asked before but I’ll ask again.. anyone know a cheap welder around these parts? 

Just stumbled on this thread from your sig link.  What a lovely X1/9!  I've had 5 of them over the years, all of which were cheapie ones with various issues.  A couple were parts cars, but I used one or another as a daily for several years.

How much welding and where does it need?  The worst area for these is the inside of the rear suspension towers.  To do that bit properly, it's engine out.  You can struggle with the engine in, but the result will be crappy at best.

11 hours ago, Talbot said:

Just stumbled on this thread from your sig link.  What a lovely X1/9!  I've had 5 of them over the years, all of which were cheapie ones with various issues.  A couple were parts cars, but I used one or another as a daily for several years.

How much welding and where does it need?  The worst area for these is the inside of the rear suspension towers.  To do that bit properly, it's engine out.  You can struggle with the engine in, but the result will be crappy at best.

Aah thanks man, they are indeed lovely cars and I deeply miss ragging around in this. 5 is impressive..... maybe only topped by @Barry Cade.  

It does need a tickle around the rear towers, nothing too bad but I’d definitely like to take the opportunity to take the engine out and tidy up the engine bay. Other than that it’s mostly sills and one rear arch is a bit ropey. The door bottoms are also shot. I do toy with the idea of finding some garage somewhere and leaving it with them to work on “in their spare time” but my ideal scenario would be to find a workshop somewhere, take a month off work and do it all myself... joy!!  

For now it’s nice to know it’s safe and dry and not getting worse at a rate of knots. It’s a keeper, for sure. 

1EA2518E-AC02-4628-9D99-07EBAAB66E2E.jpeg

4D6AC817-E8E0-432B-9F72-54025C687A08.jpeg

1EC53328-AFE2-4D5A-8F64-CDAFC62D666C.jpeg

CE72DFD1-9684-4A78-A386-F3F8D3928811.jpeg

1D05A66B-4FE7-4201-B3F2-91BDCF450F44.jpeg

7BDBF174-BA11-46AC-8C97-C484305D465D.jpeg

93CD9817-2C21-4AC1-AA77-0D6E9A03B5BA.jpeg

24FD07E1-5928-4FF4-84F4-BD11C78D48B8.jpeg

5 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

I do like these. Always thought they were the Italian TR7.

As @Talbot mentioned about doing the suspension towers and it being an engine out job, it would probably be the best opportunity to get that Lancia engine and shoehorn it in ;)

Haha yeah they do get compared to TR7’s a bit and sometimes get mistaken for one another, but X1/9 owners tend to get a bit huffy at the comparison.. reeling out  words like “Italian... mid engined.. thoroughbred.... lampredi..” ?

1 hour ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Aah thanks man, they are indeed lovely cars and I deeply miss ragging around in this. 5 is impressive..... maybe only topped by @Barry Cade.  

It does need a tickle around the rear towers, nothing too bad but I’d definitely like to take the opportunity to take the engine out and tidy up the engine bay. Other than that it’s mostly sills and one rear arch is a bit ropey. The door bottoms are also shot. I do toy with the idea of finding some garage somewhere and leaving it with them to work on “in their spare time” but my ideal scenario would be to find a workshop somewhere, take a month off work and do it all myself... joy!!  

For now it’s nice to know it’s safe and dry and not getting worse at a rate of knots. It’s a keeper, for sure. 

1EA2518E-AC02-4628-9D99-07EBAAB66E2E.jpeg

4D6AC817-E8E0-432B-9F72-54025C687A08.jpeg

1EC53328-AFE2-4D5A-8F64-CDAFC62D666C.jpeg

CE72DFD1-9684-4A78-A386-F3F8D3928811.jpeg

1D05A66B-4FE7-4201-B3F2-91BDCF450F44.jpeg

7BDBF174-BA11-46AC-8C97-C484305D465D.jpeg

93CD9817-2C21-4AC1-AA77-0D6E9A03B5BA.jpeg

24FD07E1-5928-4FF4-84F4-BD11C78D48B8.jpeg

All the repair panels are available, including the door bottoms.

https://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_13&zenid=5ahasbaieb3dk5ok2jrac27lk2

10 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Go on then ;-)

I’ve used Eurosport since the first month I had the car back almost 14 years ago. Very helpful and quick delivery. 

Me too! Is her name Claire? She used to keep my card details on file to simplify my orders- I’d just phone up and ask for bits and they’d handle the rest.. they’re one fantastic aspect to X1/9 ownership. 

My obstacle is on street parking only, and limited funds... 

10 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Me too! Is her name Claire? She used to keep my card details on file to simplify my orders- I’d just phone up and ask for bits and they’d handle the rest.. they’re one fantastic aspect to X1/9 ownership. 

My obstacle is on street parking only, and limited funds... 

I think it’s claire. Sorry, didn’t realise you knew where to go #preaching to the choir. I haven’t seen mine since Feb now, as it’s in lockdown with my parents 200miles away. I did take part in yesterday’s virtual auto Italia at Brooklands though with this pic.

A4214D23-42F8-433C-82C8-A6992E3EEBC7.jpeg

C82F1140-286D-411E-A482-699119209009.jpeg

Ps I was talking to the owner of the Lamborghini silhouette next door ( he’s in the pale blue jumper). He lives in Chelsea and rarely drives it as it’s awful in city traffic. He had to swap the original wheels for a reproduction set in case they got damaged - they’re worth more than my car! 

Whats better? An Italian supercar you can’t use regularly or a little fiat you can nip down to the shops or over to France in?

Funny, I just re found this whilst cleaning out my laptop. The greatest bit of X1/9 footage ever. They do like to "move around" That's how they like to be driven, the harder you drive them the less troublesome they are, but remember to do your hair. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Barry Cade said:

Just remember the rear suspension towers are triple skinned... not an easy repair to do properly,  

TR7.. Bought one once, drove it home and never sat in it again.. Hateful thing.  “Italian... mid engined.. thoroughbred.... lampredi..” 

I miss X1/9's. Sometimes.

DSC00066.jpg

I can hear the metal moths munching!

6 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I think it’s claire. Sorry, didn’t realise you knew where to go #preaching to the choir. I haven’t seen mine since Feb now, as it’s in lockdown with my parents 200miles away. I did take part in yesterday’s virtual auto Italia at Brooklands though with this pic.

A4214D23-42F8-433C-82C8-A6992E3EEBC7.jpeg

C82F1140-286D-411E-A482-699119209009.jpeg

Looks bloody lovely!! 

2 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Funny, I just re found this whilst cleaning out my laptop. The greatest bit of X1/9 footage ever. They do like to "move around" That's how they like to be driven, the harder you drive them the less troublesome they are, but remember to do your hair. Enjoy!

Hahah I watched this clip many many times! The essence of Italy. Those early 1300 interiors are so nice aren’t they. I did a lot of track days and hill climbs in mine, but only got one bit of footage- I’m sure I’ve posted it before but any excuse to relive those moments... 

https://youtu.be/1O2nex1eX5U

The 1300 was just a gem. Everything about them was just right. From the howling 1300 to the dinkiest little blade bumpers you ever did see through the unbelievable packaging and futuristic interior the damn things were spot on. They just looked like Bertone had worked so hard on them. Not some mish mash of parts bin that’ll do but things in the right place for the right reason. Truly one of the great cars and now all but forgotten or misunderstood.

Go and have a look at Franz Koob hillclimbing something that sounds like it has a motorbike engine in it. But doesn’t.

12 minutes ago, JimH said:

. Not some mish mash of parts bin that’ll do but things in the right place for the right reason. Truly one of the great cars and now all but forgotten or misunderstood.

Mish mash of parts bin.... Engine and gearbox from the 128/Strada, but other cars are a mishmash of the X1/9... Stratos, Countach, Esprit,...?

I’m not suggesting bits hadn’t been used in other cars but all the bits looked like they belonged. Look at an Aston or Lotus ( to name but two) and the Granada vents and MGB latches just scream at you. The X1/9 just looks like they knew how to use the right bits in the right places.. That’s because it was done by Bertone and they bloody well did know what they were doing. 

5 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Either your man isn't exactly the best driver or shite tyres but they do look like a complete handful to drive. Eeeek

2 hours ago, JimH said:

I’m not suggesting bits hadn’t been used in other cars but all the bits looked like they belonged. Look at an Aston or Lotus ( to name but two) and the Granada vents and MGB latches just scream at you. The X1/9 just looks like they knew how to use the right bits in the right places.. That’s because it was done by Bertone and they bloody well did know what they were doing. 

Totally agree, that's why I love em so much. So well packaged, and ahead of their time.  Nothing affordable could come close in '72 up until probably 84/85 with the MR2 and Fiero. Spurious... There is a big difference between handling and grip... An X1/9 has amazing handling, but not really that much grip, especially on the early cars 145/13 tyres... They do let you know everything that's going on between them and the road, and you can really throw them around, up to a point. Go past that and you are getting dizzy. You need to learn, practice and respect. Nowadays you have esp/abs.