Fiat X1/9

Fabergé Greggs

I've always had a soft spot for these. Wanted a last of the line 'finale' but it was out of my proce range at the time was 4k in 1998 I think but it was truely mint 20k miles as a second garaged car.

I bet its worth even more now. I did drive a few back in the day and I dont think Ive driven anything since that handles as well as it did

My ex wife and I had a orange/red Y reg one 1989-1993 , when it needed welding on the inner arches a guy at work did it for me , only he used steel they had in stock which was what they used to build truck bits with 3-4mm , if it ever rusts away there'll be 4 tyres and 2 lumps of metal left

Great car though , in those 4 years other than servicing, welding and a respray it never let us down

My second car….. after a pissed up old Norfolk giffer went all the way down the side of the BGT - was a X19. ANother RAF bod bought it without a mechanical clue and it was ropey. I did get it for free - so jumped in, new dizzy, calipers and pads and new radiator.... all good. Like a twat noob I hadn't checked the actual leads before swapping het dizzy - and of course replacing them sorted the rough running out no problem. An air force tech showed me the ins and outs of carbs on 'em and he had it sorted out properly.

The roads from Coltishall to Neatishead stations were never safe again. I still held the record for timing from one to the other for the RAF Police flight - I was young dumb and full of...…..

Would have another in a heartbeat!

Hope you do it proud before tinworm becomes too bad. Great write up - it has served you well - now go return the favour :-D

When I was a yoof a mate have two of these, I've never known a car so happy to sit sideways around town (important at 18/19) at bloody silly speeds.

When I first had it I exited one roundabout a little too enthusiastically - sideways but in the correct lane. The bmw coming the other way looked quite alarmed and swerved away. The fiat just twitched back in line and carried on- all at about 20mph!

When I first had it I exited one roundabout a little too enthusiastically - sideways but in the correct lane. The bmw coming the other way looked quite alarmed and swerved away. The fiat just twitched back in line and carried on- all at about 20mph!

The one time I spun this, I was at a fairly wide angle of drift around a roundabout, trying to get it all back into shape to exit the roundabout. For some reason the exit of the roundabout was a different surface and was way, way greasier. This combined with the pendulum effect of changing direction caused a spin so rapid I didn’t have a hope in hell of catching it.

It span a perfect 180 degrees and catapulted me down the exit, backwards, at about 40mph, all within the width of one lane.

Anyway, this started its journey South from Scotland to Essex today.

post-17997-0-22352200-1546028265_thumb.jpeg

... and safely tucked up in Essex.

Next step will be to give it a bit of a clean, a prod, and work out how the hell im

going to find the cash to get it welded. I think the main problem is the curbside sill, but maybe a prod will reveal more.

post-17997-0-49597200-1546086452_thumb.jpeg

Oooh... it's lovely...would like to come and see it... I wouldn't prod too much though. It's only gonna be bad news...

The cheapest way to get this back on the road is probably to wait for it to become MOT exempt. Will also be ULEZ exempt. Rust, who cares, less metal = more speed. At least it's not in the rain any more.

Let welders prod. The likes of us should really just ignore rust. It's out of our control.

I see one immediate problem.

Spill beans the Kenneth!

Oooh... it's lovely...would like to come and see it... I wouldn't prod too much though. It's only gonna be bad news...

The cheapest way to get this back on the road is probably to wait for it to become MOT exempt. Will also be ULEZ exempt. Rust, who cares, less metal = more speed. At least it's not in the rain any more.

Let welders prod. The likes of us should really just ignore rust. It's out of our control.

Aye, come and take a look and marvel at its diminutive proportions!

I am secretly counting down the days until MOT exemption..

• 2 months later...

Went to see this today.. Took a freshly charged battery in the hope to start it up but the electric fuel pumped just whirred away without drawing anything through. I'll take a can of petrol next time though I'm pretty sure it's got a little in it. I think (hope) that it's perished fuel lines letting in air as they look well ropey, and not something weird and sinister like the tank pickup falling off or something. 

I was cheered by seeing it warm and dry, though a little depressed to inspect the rust. I took some photos of the worst bits, but nervous of the teeth sucking that might ensue, I'll just post a pic of the guard cat instead. 

I'll ask again just in case: anyone know a superstar cheap welder in Essex?

IMG-0283.jpg

• 9 months later...

Took a country bimble on the LML to see my other Italian beauty today.. it’s about an hour away taking all the little roads on a scooter vs about 45 mins by motorway and car. 

It’s officially developing OMG barn find status thanks to an antique layer of dust. Can’t imagine that the bird shit is doing much good- so I wiped off the worst of it, but perhaps a cover would be a wise investment. I did have a lovely fitted cover for it somewhere, but I found it was blistering the paint stored outside with it on- probably worthwhile indoors though. 

I couldn’t do any work on it as all my tools are in my BX which is currently stranded in the work car park- might go and have a couple of hours tinkering with that before the light fades. 

Sitting in it, smelling it and making brum brum noises is all I need to get my priorities straight, stop fucking about with real life and get this sorted. All it needs as far as I’m aware is tires, exhaust and a tickle with the sparkly stick.. I’ve asked before but I’ll ask again.. anyone know a cheap welder around these parts? 

7CA3836F-5586-4AA5-982A-6E7A8B955051.jpeg

E1F606D9-C36D-487C-A7C5-1FF2CD0BD316.jpeg

28AE70CC-AF1B-4C60-A821-B995C3CD6604.jpeg

D9F29536-4821-4FE0-925F-4C74D18ED908.jpeg

3B00FB20-5404-4D5A-884E-707B92103A1A.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Oo, skinny bumper version!  Very cool.

Yeah it’s an ‘82 car but with earlier bumpers, involving bumpers, adapter brackets, chin spoiler and some other bits I can’t remember. The bits do the conversion are silly money and are probably worth more than the car, along with maybe the uno turbo brakes. 

I also have a slimmer engine lid and side vents to complete the earlier look. 

27 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

Jack, next time you go there in a car is there any chance you could recover the front screen surround panel I have there. It's a green Dolomite one (if it hasn't been nicked that is). It should be laying upright against the rear most panel of the barn. Cheers.

Most def!!