V**hall Carlton 2.3TD. Insurance finally sorted!

sutty2006

Just been to body shop for a quote. £500 to get the dent repaired. I’ve already tried to knock it back out with a copper hammer and it’s solid as a rock. Steve the body man says he’d cut it, straighten it then weld it back together. Then I’ve got to supply a door. Not many out there at the moment!

Slightly better news after yesterday. Been to another body shop that’s been recommended to me, guy says he can repair both the 1/4 and the door and spray the whole side for 500 plus vat. So when I got home I phoned the bloke that reversed into me... he’s been alright with it but it ringing his insurance today to see what his excess is and what they say. See what happens eh. 

Had the same years ago with our C4, two people in the space of 6 months bumped it on car parks. actually had the same with our leaf! guy in a van smacked into the side of the leaf while the wife was driving to work, he was 100% genuine and said he just didn't look, insurance sorted that one out, then about a week after having it back someone hit the same side, just on both doors, that cost me £350-400 to sort out before it back to the lease company! 

I'd push this guy to do it for cash, even if you split the bill, Insurance Co will write that off, plus two claims is just going to fuck you over for insurance for the next 5 years. 

11 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

Surely if the other party admits fault then their insurer will be paying. No question of writing off the car and no effect on your no claims bonus. 

No it doesn’t quite work out like that unfortunately. An accident whether your fault or not in the last 5 years statistically in the insurers eyes makes you a higher risk hence higher premiums. The write off situation again is in the hands of the other parties insurer. They are running it as a business, to them it’s an old banger so it’ll be a battle getting anything like what it’s worth from them. You would have no say as to whether it’s a write off, that’s a matter for the insurance assessor to decide who will look at what the cost will be to put it right against the value. It’s shitty but that’s insurance for you...

I’m assuming the £500 would be mates rates, if you were going to a body shop it’d be more like three or four times that. 

I'll have to check, but I'm sure I seen a K reg White Carlton saloon in Albert Looms scrap yard in Derby a month or two ago. Think it was a CD as it  had the lattice / BBS style alloys, can't see it on there list of cars breaking though. 

https://www.albertlooms.com/content.aspx?id=10

But could be worth a call if you still need a door and any odd bits of trim etc.. , I might be up there at the weekend anyway, If it's there though, I'll enquire and let you know!

As much as it pains me to say it, once it’s all fixed and back to normal, I’ll be selling it. I’ve made a decision based on my current knee situation.... health will have to come first so I’ll need an automatic. Nothing worse than putting a 12 hr shift in at work fixing trucks then struggle to drive a manual home. Until then it’ll get the love and attention it deserves. 

If you like the car how much of a ball ache would concerting it to auto be? I’d be guessing you’d need the box, radiator, centre gearbox support etc from a dead Carlton diesel, which I believe they did make as an Auto. It would be SLOW AS FUCK but who wants to go fast anyway. 

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

If you like the car how much of a ball ache would concerting it to auto be? I’d be guessing you’d need the box, radiator, centre gearbox support etc from a dead Carlton diesel, which I believe they did make as an Auto. It would be SLOW AS FUCK but who wants to go fast anyway. 

These weren’t available as an automatic. No diesel carlton was. Just the petrols. Shame really but I could imagine they would be epically lame...... which would be right up our streets lol

Then it becomes another project. Already got 4 projects in different stages of life haha. I’d rather keep it standard enough to sell so someone else can enjoy it. There’s plenty of big cumbersome automatics out there begging to become shite 

12 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

As much as it pains me to say it, once it’s all fixed and back to normal, I’ll be selling it. I’ve made a decision based on my current knee situation.... health will have to come first so I’ll need an automatic. Nothing worse than putting a 12 hr shift in at work fixing trucks then struggle to drive a manual home. Until then it’ll get the love and attention it deserves. 

Noooooooooooooo! Just get a new knee for god's sake, they're easier to find than a Carlton!

I'm glad to hear that it's getting fixed, there are few enough survivors, especially diesels. 

My brochure from 1987 implies that a diesel auto was available - some options are marked as not for diesel, but automatic transmission isn't one of them :

_20190504_191815.thumb.JPG.0c2964699f40ac2365b5d4bfcdf213ee.JPG

I’ve got an 89 brochure and that’s just got the 2.3D, I’ve also got the 1991 brochure which includes the 2.3TD, auto not available. It was probably a flop in the straight diesel so they didn’t bother later on. 

41B514CA-2A7C-495D-987B-38162D106BB8.jpeg

Had a hole in the exhaust. Priced up a stainless system a few weeks back. £280. Pffffffft. Yeah ok. For now, I fix with scrap piece of dpf clamp from a Mercedes Actros. 

Job jobbed. For now. This was the only thing looming in the balance for its next MOT. No wuckin furries. I’m surprised I didn’t just blow holes in it, the original material is quite thick. 

B92FCB1B-2554-4CA9-9EEC-BB0BEAC6E9CA.jpeg

D732B689-474B-4DA0-A4BB-0B6CEF1F7770.jpeg

C3311F5A-095B-4532-AE98-B1BE56C03A33.jpeg

Just catching up with this thread.  My dad had a Carlton in the 90's identical to this on the GL trims (not the Diplomat alloys) a 1.8GL  - J151 UTW i think.

What is it with people that drive stuff like the Aldi cue7 ffs, I avoid these people and their cars at all costs, they always seen so rude abrupt and bullish on the roads and at one time I thought it was just me who had bad experiences with Aldi's but 4/5 instances over recent years have been aldi's registered since 2007.

And Mr Bol sums it up perfectly on page 1.

16 minutes ago, EssDeeWon said:

Just catching up with this thread.  My dad had a Carlton in the 90's identical to this on the GL trims (not the Diplomat alloys) a 1.8GL  - J151 UTW i think.

What is it with people that drive stuff like the Aldi cue7 ffs, I avoid these people and their cars at all costs, they always seen so rude abrupt and bullish on the roads and at one time I thought it was just me who had bad experiences with Aldi's but 4/5 instances over recent years have been aldi's registered since 2007.

And Mr Bol sums it up perfectly on page 1.

Lastest news from my insurance is that the other party (aldi wanker) has sent his insurance pictures of his car with no damage. Aye. ‘‘Twas over 7 months ago now, he’s had plenty of time to polish the scuff out of his wing and wheel! Prick. I’ll take him to court if necessary.