V**hall Carlton 2.3TD. Insurance finally sorted!

sutty2006

Again, it’s usually a couple of weeks of not hearing from my insurance until I get seriously fed up and end up calling/emailing them for an update. This time, it’s gone from good to bad (again). They’ve received a statement from the third party’s “driver” who still claims to have not hit my car, but is now admitting following me to Asda. His statement is full of lies and actually admits (without realisation) that he’s in the wrong lane to go where he wants. My insurance handler, again, didn’t know which way to go with this so I’ve had to basically tell her how to do her job. This is all beginning to give me pains in my chest. The thought of that prick getting away with it boils my piss so hot it’s turned to steam. 

But anyway, on a lighter note....

ive been using it every day. It’s alternator belt squeals occasionally and I’ve been adjusting the belt when it does. Until it reached the end of its adjustment. I took the belt off to find it’s borked. Completely. A trip over to a local motor factors had some in stock so I bought 2.  No more adjusting the belt for a while! 

0C173ACA-5F24-4643-8F25-059A4B4FAE6B.jpeg

11F361B3-8A02-48A3-87FC-B93712C39A31.jpeg

The washers also packed in. I’ve been waiting for them to run out of fluid so I can clean the bottle out as it’s more like spermy potato water. Removed, bleached, scrubbed and refitted with fresh screen wash. Cleaned out and adjust the jets. Another thing sorted.

however, I did find a pigs tail from a rear coil spring on the drive this morning so looks like I need a pair of rears!

A84CC6AD-DFA4-4CB6-BECB-868AF445D486.jpeg

Although irritating in the extreme don’t let the insurance lot get to you. They are delaying useless fuckers, always were, always will be. Just play the long game and divest the process of emotion. There will be a cheque. For a few hundred. Someday. Probably. Meh.

2 gentle tickle jobs that make it that much nicer to use. Good work.

I set to doing the rear springs today. Motor factors were quick to get a pair in. £72 for both not too shabby. Same suspension setup as the omega. A pain in the arse to do. Old case out easily but the new was shit to go back in. Probably due to it being heavy duty. Took all afternoon to do, got pissed off, threw some tools up the drive etc etc. After building it up it sits on stilts. So I’ve ordered another standard spring. Can’t be doing with that. 

7BB0AB60-F98D-4FBC-A639-F958DCDADBAF.jpeg

67A881AB-FE55-4ABF-B393-989100BCEB4C.jpeg

676AE9DC-A65B-42D8-A479-6FAE97E690BB.jpeg

B86D2F8E-07F5-462F-9755-5022C27C6242.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I have two updates for this today. 

my insurance claims handlers (x2) have been slow to pass my claim on to the “litigation” team, whoever they are? But today I’ve received an email from them to say they will press for court procedures. They say they have enough evidence against the 3rd party. So if threat of court doesn’t fix this maybe he will finally give in and admit to being an Audi W4nker. 

in other news. The alternator had been slowly failing, a new belt only prolonged the inevitable and it started to scream for mercy when cold or when large loads applied (mainly heated rear window). I pulled the alternator off and took it to Marks auto electrics who cleaned the brushed up and replaced the regulator. Works a treat now . However, I never want to remove that alternator ever again. What a pain in the ass that was. No gap to extract it from. Fuel pump and battery tray to the top, fuel pre pump and ARB to the bottom. What a nightmare. Plus the vacuum pump on the back didn’t make things easy. Sheesh. What a job. 

C0841125-2351-4BBF-BF79-0FF0568AAF28.jpeg

83CD8BF2-1938-474E-8A99-82CFE82F9FFE.jpeg

87D7F5FD-14D8-42BE-8E23-BD76F1D117DE.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Pre lock down saw the back box fly off spectacularly (while lent to a friend) in good old vauxhall fashion. So I bodged it up with a piece of ST220 pipe to see it through. 

95626AAC-4D11-4E02-9C31-F6A542BDEF2D.thumb.jpeg.23bf411e5d0b10839953806153080f18.jpeg

today I’ve been to get a Powerflow box fitted. Wasn’t cheap at all, but the original centre box pipe was rotten as a pair and I was fed up of patching it. So this has been made. Then I went straight for MOT. Wasn’t interested in a Boris MOT, as I don’t want to be testing stuff in winter thank you very much. Passed with flying colours (2 advisories on the rear sills but I’ve waxoiled them to stop them getting bad) 

Doesn’t really smoke much anymore (not as bad anyway) so a plus all round. 

B86170EF-24E6-4801-87FD-7FB53F0A9FD2.jpeg

• sutty2006 changed the title to V**hall Carlton 2.3TD. New fuel tank fitting, then goodbye. :(

So the carlton sprung a fuel leak a couple of weeks ago. I drained as much out as possible and then ran it till the light came on. New fuel tank sourced from Latvia for about 90€ and it arrived yesterday. With not a great deal to do at work I’ve painted the tank with chassis black and left it under an industrial heater for a few hours. 

once it’s fitted, it’s goodbye to the carlton. I’ve been toying with selling it for a few months now due to wanting to thin my fleet out to make room for something more modern that can be reliable and still tow my caravan. I’ll be sad to see it go but it’s going to a carlton enthusiast so I know it’s going to a good home. 

91A344CC-AB00-46C5-88D2-62A9AAC90CC9.jpeg

78EB98D3-9B45-4162-82F0-96E95417C5B7.jpeg

E86FEED8-E4E4-4641-B333-3B0FCD8A1050.jpeg

2 hours ago, Matty said:

Sorry sutty that was a bit ambiguous. I meant as in dont do it 🤣

I’ve had to have a long hard emotional conversation with myself about this. No I don’t want to get rid of it, but I’ve got some rather large plans for the near future. So I’m reducing my fleet from 6 to 4, but selling 3 and buying one. All for the greater good I hope. 

5 hours ago, Bstardchild said:

I do hope the enthusiast doesn't want it just for the doors

I heard the doors are stupid money. No idea why but I bought a front door for £40 I think. No, he’s got a 2.6 diplomat saloon and a 2.2 mk2 CD saloon. He wants this for his sons first car as his son has taken a keen interest in carltons! They will be introduced to this forum! 

10 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

I heard the doors are stupid money. No idea why but I bought a front door for £40 I think. No, he’s got a 2.6 diplomat saloon and a 2.2 mk2 CD saloon. He wants this for his sons first car as his son has taken a keen interest in carltons! They will be introduced to this forum! 

Is there a market for parts for these?

New parts are the same sort of chinesium but the odd breaker turns up now and again

1 hour ago, andy18s said:

Is there a market for parts for these?

New parts are the same sort of chinesium but the odd breaker turns up now and again

Not really. There aren’t many about so demand for parts is low. I know of 1 or 2 other diesels about, and there are loads of clutch kits available on eBay for £150+. So they will be hanging on to them until they get binned! 

I’ve been up and down the motorway in this once a week for the last few weeks and it’s fantastic, apart from lack of cruise control. It’s amazing when you come to overtake a new car and they end up coming past you a mile down the motorway because they can’t believe this old oil burner just went past. Lol

On 12/1/2020 at 6:30 AM, sutty2006 said:

I heard the doors are stupid money. No idea why but I bought a front door for £40 I think.

The halo car has a plastic body kit on the bottom of all the doors and front wings - on the doors the "kit" is fixed by a mild steel plate rivetted to the door skin at the top and sealed with a little bit of rubber trim and sikaflex at the bottom - sikaflex makes a really good water proof seal - the little bit of rubber doesn't

It's pretty freaking rare to remove a kit from a door and find doors with any metal left :D