V**hall Carlton 2.3TD. Insurance finally sorted!

sutty2006

Sorry to hear about your bump, what age Carlton is it? Mate of mine is into old Vauxhalls, I'll ask him to keep an ear out next time I see him.

It’s a 92 K plate. Cheers.

You’re right about the police Matty. Too many bullshit crimes being investigated by too little staff. Which is why I won’t pursuit him through the fuzz. That is unless his details don’t add up.....then it’s GAME ON BITCH.

It’s a 92 K plate. Cheers.

You’re right about the police Matty. Too many bullshit crimes being investigated by too little staff. Which is why I won’t pursuit him through the fuzz. That is unless his details don’t add up.....then it’s GAME ON BITCH.

I appreciate that it's your time and your life, and I fully understand that I have no right whatsoever to hassle you to do something you don't want to, so please don't read this that way. I just feel that I have to take issue with this.

The police have finite resources, sure, but what they use them on is a decision that's either been taken by them, or by the (elected) police and crime commissioner (assuming this took place in Staffs), or ultimately the Home Office. At a time when police forces seem (if anything) keen to involve themselves in stuff like online spats about misgendering trans people*, or turning up at the home of a parent who's had a disagreement with their kids teacher to accuse them of causing alarm and distress, or any number of other nebulous, he said/she said 'incidents', failing to investigate what is clearly at least one actual crime (failing to exchange details) and arguably another one which has been caught on camera (driving without due care and attention) is to my mind unacceptable. But if nobody ever stands up and says "get your priorities straight" then clearly they're going to carry on down their current path of least resistance. Clearly some people think it's important that the police get involved in policing Twitter spats, otherwise they wouldn't do it. If those of us who think it's more important that they concern themselves with actual breaches of the law don't speak up and say so, then things are not going to improve.

Edit: it's not as if failing to exchange details is a difficult crime to investigate, or has a high evidential bar to clear for a prosecution. You have dashcam of him failing to provide you with his details at the scene, so he either provided them to a police station within 24 hours or bosh, he's automatically guilty. In today's target driven policing environment you'd think the police would take an open goal when it's presented to them.

The other problem is the Audi driver himself. If all that happens is he gets an insurance claim against him, he might consider the increased insurance premium an acceptable price to pay and continue to drive like a twat and/or bully. He might cause a more serious accident next time, or fuck over someone without a dashcam and without the confidence to stand up for themselves. You would be doing everyone else on the road a service if you got him prosecuted.

*for the avoidance of doubt I'm generally in favour of trans rights and think deliberately misgendering trans people is rude, I just don't think it's a matter for the police.

Most of the dent damage will come out of those doors with a good Pdr dent removal guy. To finish off the job that trim line would be of no serious issue to a seasoned bodyshop pro,but that side will repainting. Naturally the insurance will want to write it off but it is salvageable without swapping doors.

I won’t get written off. I’ve a local body shop that can repair it all for no more than the value of the car. If need be, they’ll cash me up and I’ll repair it myself. The insurance body shop is a fair few miles away, and they probably won’t give me a car as I’ve got others. So they’ll have to send someone out ;)

• 1 month later...

Well I got bored today and decided to change my front door. The hinge pins came out without drama as filled them with wd40 over a week ago.

Have swapped over door handle, wiring loom, door card etc etc. Need to change the glass as it’s got my Reg etched into it. Only problem there is I need a rivit gun to re-attach the motor...so I’ll save that job for another day. What better way to test out my new 8 ton engine crane!

post-17429-0-59609400-1550498068_thumb.jpeg

post-17429-0-59394800-1550498154_thumb.jpeg

post-17429-0-64187500-1550498185_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

So on my last 4 days off and with my back almost fully repaired I’ve decided to do a few jobs on the old girl.

Fixed central locking. Motor in new door was naff.

Fixed interior light. New bulb strangely.

Fitted the alloys now winters fucked off

Cleaned and hoovered.

Then decided to investigate the large quantity of oil in the induction. Was suspecting turbo but I’m not so convinced anymore after fitting a make shift catch tank to the breather.

Oh I think she’s a heavy breather

post-17429-0-38778200-1553347456_thumb.jpeg

post-17429-0-13170400-1553347481_thumb.jpeg

I was bidding on another silver diesel saloon on eBay with a dead motor but got outbid. Rather pissed Off especially as I was over my limit.... as I could have had a lot of useful parts off it.... I think loosing out on it made me fix some stuff. Adjusted the handbrake too, so it doesn’t point skywards

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a set of disks off eBay. £20 delivered. Pads, £9 from euro car parts. Decided to use my day off work today to fit them. Also fitted a set of glow plugs I bought from a show last year (8x glow plugs for £2, bargain) and considering there’s only 3 of these left on the road it was deemed ok to use them. Also cleaned up all the connections as they were furry. Also pulled the wheel bearings off and cleaned the ABS rings n sensors up to try curing the abs from applying when steering wheel turned.

post-17429-0-17990900-1556460164_thumb.jpeg

I don’t think I’m having much luck with this old girl now. Just been reversed into by a pick up. Guy was genuine and details have been exchanged. Rear door won’t open from the outside. Insurance claim still on going from the previous twat taking both doors out this side. Been thinking about getting rid in favour of an automatic but wasn’t expecting this.

post-17429-0-75849500-1556627511_thumb.jpeg

post-17429-0-14623600-1556627526_thumb.jpeg

Second hand door and a pull the dent out with a slide hammer - assuming it’s double skinned there. Might even pull mostly out with one of those suction cup things. Coat of primer then leave it at that. Sod scrapping it or letting the insurance company ‘generously’ giving you 38 pence for it and carting it off to the Copart auction.