V**hall Carlton 2.3TD. Insurance finally sorted!

sutty2006

I had a '93 club estate when i was at uni in cardiff around 2002. Picked it up as a Cat-C for about £250. Bloody brilliant car but had its issues!

The rear diff was very worn and kicked out a right stink. I tried all of the local breakers but no luck. Didn't help that almost all of the taxi's in Cardiff at the time were Carltons! All in black with white bonnets.

Sold it on after a year for about £400

She’s been misbehaving recently. Now she knows she has a potential new carer. I moved it round the driveway at the weekend to hear a rather pronounced “tap tap tap tap” from the engine. It sounded chainy, and metaly. My heart sank, as I know it’s petrol derived brothers can suffer from chain guide failure causing the same noise. I spent a few days cursing and depressed thinking I’ve got start stripping the engine down..... turns out it’s the alternator belt and or pulley . What a prick. Never known a belt to make that noise, but it does! A bit of wd30 sprayed on while engine running shut it up. New belt going on very soon. 

11 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

Normally belts like that make a squeak when they start wearing out, I remember my Yaris was doing that until I could get it replaced.

It’s weird, because it’s not a squeak. I’ll try and get a video before I replace the belt. Very weird. 

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

Well. She’s clean and mostly empty ready for her new owner. 

250BF98C-0B73-4C62-AB2B-491B40DA44C9.jpeg

The Diplomat wheels but without the fussy detailing of up spec models, fog lights, lamp wipers extra badges etc, makes for a handsome looking car. I like that a lot,  if I could live with the performance* is a different matter entirely.

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

Well. She’s clean and mostly empty ready for her new owner. 

250BF98C-0B73-4C62-AB2B-491B40DA44C9.jpeg

Very cool. Years ago I wanted the 3000 GSi but I think that something like this would suit me better now 

On 12/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, sutty2006 said:

Large amount of teeth missing. Probably cheap Chinese belt I put on 18 months ago. 
she purrs like an overweight walrus again! 

I see it now! That'll teach me for reading the forums on a tiny screen

32 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

The Diplomat wheels but without the fussy detailing of up spec models, fog lights, lamp wipers extra badges etc, makes for a handsome looking car. I like that a lot,  if I could live with the performance* is a different matter entirely.

The diplomat wheels are the only thing I changed. I wanted the plastic sill covers as found on dips and cdx models but never got round to finding any. Still a handsome brut. Performance isn’t bad, the engine has bags of torque so she wobbles along quite spritely. 

29 minutes ago, Peter C said:

Have you formally advertised this yet?

nope. Never advertised it. I had a friend who I’ve met through the VBOA shows message me asking if it was force hail. And the rest is history. He’s a serial carlton botherer and his son (who’s learning to drive) has fallen for my diesel powered land yacht so wants it for his first car! 

• sutty2006 changed the title to V**hall Carlton 2.3TD. Goodbye, farewell, AMEN.

Well, the day has come. Collection of Carley the carlton is imminent. The new owner will be introduced to this beige forum of much greatness. And with the mercury going the other week, today will be a sad day. Please send virtual hugs, because I R mostly be cryin later. 

E79313EB-FC5E-462D-882E-BDE2FCD65BA0.jpeg

• sutty2006 changed the title to V**hall Carlton 2.3TD. New owner seeks asylum
53 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

After parting ways with the carlton, the new custodian wishes to seek refuge in the very walls of this establishment, but his membership approval is still under investigation with border patrol immigration officers......... HINT HINT. 

Subtle. Nicely done.

10 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

After parting ways with the carlton, the new custodian wishes to seek refuge in the very walls of this establishment, but his membership approval is still under investigation with border patrol immigration officers......... HINT HINT. 

@Mrs6Cis head bouncer.  She'll give him a frisking and a little raffle ticket for his coat soon enough.

What name has he registered under?

• sutty2006 changed the title to V**hall Carlton 2.3TD. Insurance finally sorted!

For those of you that were following the saga of the insurance mither I had with this, great news was received yesterday! I had a court date set for around 20th of April. Yesterday I received an email from my litigation team to say the third party have agreed to pay up, which means they have given in and finally admitted fault. 2.5 years after it happened!