Birthday roadtrip ideas

mat_the_cat

Next year I will be turning 40 ( :shock:) so I figure I should do something memorable to celebrate it, such as a holiday or long weekend away. I'm leaning more towards Europe as being a bit more of an adventure, and just after a few ideas really. I'd like there to be a destination as well as the trip itself, to give it a bit more purpose

First thing which sprang to mind was a trip to the Nurburgring, and possibly around it. It's always had an appeal although looking at the videos online I'm a little worried about getting wiped out as I potter around (see, you get all sensible as you get older).

Another possibility is Techno Classica Essen:

http://autoshite.com/topic/31415-techno-classica-essen/

Maybe even combining it with the first idea.

I also seem to recall some kind of retro Japanese show in Holland which had been mentioned on here - was it Japfest?

https://www.japfestzandvoort.nl/

But there's bound to be plenty I haven't thought of...any ideas?

Ideally no more than 3-400 miles from a ferry port, as I have 300ish miles to cover in the UK first and I'm trying to avoid a grumpy Mrs_the_cat due to 'excessive' travelling. Preference to avoid summer, as we'll likely be in the Stellar and I've yet to fit AC to it to counter the bulkhead heat!

Don't worry about high mileage on the continent. They actually have their shit together and you can cover much higher distances than you would in the same amount of time in the UK. Junkman will attest.

Yes - I'm not worried, but for some reason the idea of spending long periods of time being a passenger with me does not appeal to my better half. She puts up with it as part of a longer holiday, but I think for a long weekend it might be a bit much for her.

Vosage mountains in NE frogshire, almost no frogs there so it's quite nice & you can get into Germany every time you need to find a shop.

Of the Plymouth/Portsmouth ferry to Spain & the Picos de Europa.

I'd do the Alps but you're looking two days driving in a car off the ferry to get there. Mind you there is a car train somewhere so you could do it that way & keep Mrs Cat happy as it'll be exactly* like the Orient Express.

Good shout, we've stopped over there on the return leg of a French jaunt, and thought a nice place to return!

It's the only bit of frogshire (except the Alps) I've ever liked.

Visit Le Mans and the surrounds. You can drive drive most of the circuit as they are public roads, there is a good motor museum plus the old medieval town and museums. You are less than an hour from all the Chateaux in the Loire valley, plus wine! Accommodation could be provided too....

Maybe jump on a plane to Ljubljana and then hire a car when you are there? You can get return flights from the UK for £70 or so and my mate and I just hired a brand new VW Polo for £50 for the week. People are friendly, it's pretty cheap, well kept and the scenery is fantastic. Google the river Soca and you'll get an idea of what I mean pretty quickly I'm sure.

If you can find something significant to visit near Abjat-sur-Bandiat there's an epic kart track there.

Edit - I mean Teyjat - https://www.circuit-karting-perigord.fr/

Edit edit - there's not much significant round that bit of France though, to be fair... that's why I like it!

The Great War sites in the Vosges are amazing - you possibly want something cheerier for a birthday though!

Oh war sites, I didn't know of them. An excuse to go back I guess.

That'll be on the same list as the Alpine pass with an open air museum that takes all day to walk around. I found it and had a nose, but didn't have time to explore it all.

If heat is an issue then I suggest taking the Stellar around northern Scotland.  I know the NC500 route has caused a few issues but pretty sure the Highlands is still pretty empty with some great roads and scenery.

The road to Applecross must be one of the highlights of that particular route? Highly recommended.

Visit Le Mans and the surrounds.

Another good shout - we tend to rush through that part of France and bypass Le Mans on the N154.

hired a brand new VW Polo for £50 for the week..

The country looks fantastic (enough to check out the distance from Calais!), but the idea of a road trip in the above car (or any that I can afford to hire!) sadly holds zero appeal...

Dutch event is Japan Classic Sunday. I'm planning to be there.

http://www.japanclassicsunday.nl/info_en.htm

EDIT - a guest Hyundai S-Coupe managed to get into the event next year, so I'm sure the Stellar would be welcome.

I may try and visit this, even if not the birthday trip!

If you can find something significant to visit near Abjat-sur-Bandiat there's an epic kart track there.

Edit - I mean Teyjat - https://www.circuit-karting-perigord.fr/

We've stayed in the Perigord region a few times, and thoroughly enjoyed it :-)

If heat is an issue then I suggest taking the Stellar around northern Scotland.  I know the NC500 route has caused a few issues but pretty sure the Highlands is still pretty empty with some great roads and scenery.

It's not the worry of overheating, but the thought of anything warmer than a UK summer's day which is the concern!

The road to Applecross must be one of the highlights of that particular route? Highly recommended.

Agreed. On the shortlist!