Barrett's Unsolvable Nightmare Before Christmas Quiz!

barrett

Christmas, traditionally, is about suffering great emotional torment whilst trying to complete a set of increasingly perplexing tasks, gradually losing your grip on reality as baying family members heckle and verbally abuse you and everything you thought you knew was true becomes false, and vice versa, as reality rearranges itself in a new, alcohol-fueled nightmarish world. After a few days of intense psychological upheaval you awake one day and realise you're already late for work. 

Well, that's what it's like in my house anyway. It is this spirit of festive pain that has inspired me to compile a fun, amusing diversion in the form of a QUIZ.

Now, I know it's not Christmas yet, but given that, if you want to complete the quiz, you will have to undertake a fairly joyless regime of study and require some sort of insight into the way my brain works, I thought I'd give you all a bit of a head start. It starts tonight and will continue until I say it stops. Probably the day after Boxing Day or maybe January 1st depending on how many entries I actually have.

Okay, here's how it works. Below are twelve questions about cars. It's basically a picture puzzle and most questions are the same sort of format: connecting different types of car, or figuring out the odd one out from groups. I will post up an 'answer sheet' in a separate post below - copy and paste this, fill it in and send it to me by PM when you've figured it all out. Please DO NOT post answers, or guesses, in the thread as then everybody will know what the answers are and it will totally defeat the object of a quiz. This is NOT supposed to be FUN, it's supposed to be ANNOYING and JOYLESS.

I think it will probably be quite difficult unless you have the exact same taste in cars as me, but I could be totally wrong and it'll be really, really easy. UIn fact, I know some of it is very easy but I reckon it will be very difficult indeed to get a perfect score. In any case, whomever gets the highest score (assuming more than two people actually have a go) will get an ACTUAL PHYSICAL PRIZE of some description from me. Dunno what it is yet, but it will be actually good and not shit.

I should point out I started working on this about five years ago and never got round to finishing it off. I suspect that lots of people who frequented this forum five years ago and don't anymore would have had an easier time of it, just because they 'know what I'm like'.

The only rule is this: please don't use reverse image search to find out what the cars are if you don't know. All this stuff is on the internet somewhere (probably) so google, or a decent motoring library, is your friend.

Right, here we go! 

ROUND ONE: ODD ONE OUT

Here are four cars. Which is the odd one out, and why? you'll get one point if you can tell me

post-3924-0-16947500-1544899038_thumb.jpg

ROUND TWO: HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT

Here are four unusual sports cars. For one point, tell me what connects them. One bonus point for each car you can name.

post-3924-0-84826200-1544899040_thumb.jpg

ROUND THREE: ODD ONE OUT

All is not as it seems! Four cars, one which should not be here. Tell me which car is the odd one out and why, for two points

post-3924-0-49172600-1544899044_thumb.jpg

ROUND FOUR: FIND THE THEME

Eight different cars with nothing in common, right? Tell me what loosely connects these fine motor cars for a point. One bonus point for every car you can name, and an extra point for getting everything correct

post-3924-0-36346300-1544899063_thumb.jpg

post-3924-0-36447700-1544899064_thumb.jpg

ROUND FIVE: MUSIC ROUND

Tell me which of these three cars is the odd one out, and why?

post-3924-0-79374000-1544899064_thumb.jpg

ROUND SIX: FIND THE THEME (2)

Three cars from three different manufacturers. What is the common them which unites them? Two points for the correct answer

post-3924-0-29284200-1544899065_thumb.jpg

ROUND SEVEN: HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT (2)

Here you see four rather unusual motor cars which demonstrate why stylists ought not to run wild with their ideas. For a point, tell me what connects these vehicles. One bonus point for each you can name and an extra for getting it all correct
post-3924-0-42244800-1544899078_thumb.jpg

ROUND EIGHT: PAIRING UP
Here is a group of four exemplars of style, taste and speed from the golden age of motoring. Below is a group of four horrid little shitboxes. Believe it or not, it is possible to pair up each of the cars from the first group with one those from the second. Please pair up the cars (ie, 1 & A) and tell me why the two are connected. Easy! One point for each correct pairing, plus a bonus two points for getting it all correct
post-3924-0-95655800-1544899081_thumb.jpg
post-3924-0-83547000-1544899082_thumb.jpg

ROUND NINE: TAXI!
Four taxis you're not likely to hail after a night out on the lash. Simply name each one - a point for each, plus a bonus if you get all four correct
post-3924-0-45999500-1544899083_thumb.jpg

ROUND TEN: FIND THE THEME (2)
Four cars with nothing in common, right? In fact there is a theme that links them all. Two points for working out what it is, and a bonus two for giving me the correct details. No points for naming the cars, sorry!
post-3924-0-20583900-1544899084_thumb.jpg

ROUND ELEVEN: PAIRING UP (2)
Another two groups of cars. One car from the first group matches one from the second. Make the connection, and tell me why. One point for each connection an a bonus two for getting all connections
post-3924-0-00533900-1544899085_thumb.jpg
post-3924-0-91066400-1544899085_thumb.jpg

ROUND TWELVE: SAY WHAT YOU SEE
Four cars - tell me what they are, and why I have grouped them together. Easy! A point for each, plus a bonus two for making the connection
post-3924-0-55681600-1544899086_thumb.jpg

See, I told you it wasn't going to be fun!

Round One

The odd one out is:

Because:

Round Two

The connection is:

The cars are:

A - 

B - 

C - 

D - 

Round Three

The odd one out is:

Because:

Round Four

The connection is:

The cars are:

A -

B - 

C - 

D - 

E - 

F - 

G - 

H - 

Round Five

The odd one out is:

Because:

Round Six

The connection is:

Round Seven

The connection is:

The cars are:

A - 

B - 

C - 

D - 

Round Eight

Car 1 connects to:

Because:

Car 2 connects to:

Because:

Car 3 connects to:

Because:

Car 4 connects to:

Because:

Round Nine

Taxi E - 

Taxi F - 

Taxi G - 

Taxi H -

Round Ten

The connection is:

Gimme details!:

Round Eleven

Car A matches with:

Because:

Car B matches with:

Because:

Car C matches with:

Because:

Car D matches with:

Because:

Round Twelve

A -

B - 

C - 

D - 

The connection is:

Posted by Seth, Sometime in November 2010

'One day, Barrett, all of this information might be useful :D'

Wades through Barrett's previous 4,755 posts and now has one quarter of the answers to one of the questions :)

(Seriously a great quiz and one to get the little grey cells working overtime )

I'm done in....Pretty sure "Don't know" isn't the right answer to ANY of the questions.  I can't remember what it was I should have been doing tonight but it sure as hell wasn't getting out every Style Auto, Auto Universum and Georgano book that I own.   There's a lot of shelves to dust now.....

I'm done in....Pretty sure "Don't know" isn't the right answer to ANY of the questions.  I can't remember what it was I should have been doing tonight but it sure as hell wasn't getting out every Style Auto, Auto Universum and Georgano book that I own.   There's a lot of shelves to dust now.....

While I was doing something similar, I saw the book I referred to recently as a 'Hippo book of Vehicles' was in fact a 'Dumpy' book. I had by then forgotten about the quiz and started reading random books about cars, planes, trains and even submarines. What was the question? Oh. I'm out.